Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportsguy

Saw the movie last night. It was pretty funny. If you liked "Old School," you're gonna like this one.

Go see it and post what you think!

SeagateNews

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen...I saw it Tuesday and I'd like to go back and see it when it opens Friday. I won't meniton any specifics, but the hair, Brick the weatherman, and the street fight are all frickin hilarious!

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
What's a "newie?" ;)

I'm looking forward to it coming out on Video or PPV. I'm NOT paying $9.00 per person to see a glorified SNL skit.

[ July 08, 2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Tippster ]

thru-the-lens

Haven't seen it yet...But I gotta ask? Did your station recieve "Then Anchorman bobbleheads?" Our male anchor got the full Anchorman newsteam from a promo company in the mail today.(thursday) He was quite surprised. He's gonna keep Ron Burgandy but raffle off the others. He wonders how many other male anchors might have recieved them???

thru-the-lens.

"Racing is life!

SeagateNews

Tippster, it's worth it. I tell you what, you go see it, and if you truly dont like it, i'll send you nine dollars...okay, i really cant do that, but it is honestly worth it. It's nothing like SNL at all, I can almost promise that.

R

<roper>

dissenting with consensus,
i thought the movie generally fell flat and at times was quite boring. i think i laughed out loud once or twice but generally did not get past a smirk.
it is a funny character in an exotic locale and his journey is banal and lasted 30 minutes too long.
i liked old school, but would liken it more to austin powers with lamer supporting characters on a lamer adventure.
go see dodgeball.

Newshutr

It's a funny movie, but I thought it dragged in the first 30 minutes. The movie picks up when they get some semblance of a plot. Ferrel is great. The rumble with all the stations was hilarious. The cameos were nice to see...

But to me, the guy who steals the movie is Brick. " I love carpet." " I love table" "I love lamp"

I however have to disagree with SeaGate news. For me, the reason it dragged in the beginning, it was too much like an bunch of SNL skits put together for an intro to a plot.

All in all, it was a funny movie but, I'd go Matinee.

vidrock

Didn't live up to the hype. If it came on TNT on a saturday afternoon, I might watch it, maybe. All in all, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David R. Busse

Originally posted by vidrock:
Didn't live up to the hype. If it came on TNT on a saturday afternoon, I might watch it, maybe. All in all, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Second-the-motion...I laughed a couple of times, but the overall movie was pretty lame...the newsroom scenes (and dialogue) weren't particularly funny (or authentic) and, as with most H'wood renditions of the news life, I thought it odd that few people left the newsroom to actually cover stories.

At least they had someone tell then to use TK-76 cameras when they did show crews in the field...tho we didn't see one film camera in any scene.

It's also interesting to see how they could make Long Beach, Calif., look like San Diego....especially the dog-kicking scene.

Lil' Photog

If you are going into this movie expecting a realistic yet funny portrayal of TV news, you'll be disappointed.

This movie is merely an unbelievably silly character movie that touches on some of the more unique personalities you might find in a newsroom.

I liked it. Then again, I think Will Ferrell is absolutely hilarious and this is the first real movie where it's all Will all the time doing nothing but his thing.

It also looks like the movie was cut way down in editing. A majority of the trailer showed things that were not in the movie at all. Between that and all the adlibbing - the DVD is going to be packed full of great stuff.

I have a feeling I'm going to see it at least one more time in the theaters.

No matter what, you'll be hearing lines from this movie in the newsroom for years.

Salty Dog

Very disappointing movie. I saw it as a matinee and it was still a waste of my money.

I walked out of the theater feeling like I just watched Will Ferrell on one of his bad days, ad-lib as a weak, half-developed SNL character for an hour and a half.

I chuckled maybe three times, and those were a bit generous in nature since I felt like there should be someone in the theater making noise besides the popcorn crunching.

Special K

I didn't like it at all except for the fight scene. It sucked...thankfully it only cost me 5 bucks at the matinee.

Air_7

Watch Spiderman 2 again and don't wast your money on this one like I and some others have.....What untill you know someone who will pay to rent it and then watch it with thhem so it cost's you nothing....

It Sucked !!!!

Shaky & Blue

Sucked. You know why? Because it wasn't consistent. Was Ron Burgundy a smooth guy? Was he an idiot? Was he an idiot savant? From scene to scene the character changed, as did the reactions of other people to him.

The story was weak, and while there were some funny moments, there weren't enough of them to make up for the flat story.

The other big movie that opened this weekend, the latest version of the King Arthur legend, was surprisingly good. It takes a really original approach to the material based on newer historical theories, making Arthur and his knights servants of the Roman Empire. Merlin is a leader of the British pagans, and Arthur has to team up with them to fight a Saxon invasion from the north when the Romans decide to pull out of England. It has its silly elements and drags in a few places, but for the most part it's a fairly intelligent film, working in reasonable explanations for elements of the old legends in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. It was directed by Antoine Fuqua, the guy who did Training Day with Denzel Washington.

If you're looking for a movie this week and have already seen Spider-Man 2, check out Arthur. Don't waste your time on that Ron Burgundy mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.