Adding Gasoline to the Fire

Turdpolisher

It's been a while since I've been on the board. Around 2005 when I dropped out, things had gotten a bit fractious, most of the discussions were rehashes of arguments settled years ago, and this new guru named Rosenblum was preaching a new gospel.

I'm here to add gasoline to the fire.

A lot has changed in our industry since then. The internet has heightened the pace of an already frenetic 24-hour news cycle, and sucked the young audience away from their TV screens. Any schmo with a cell phone can and will shoot the latest backyard brawl and post it to Youtube. And the economic down-turn has slimmed down an already bare-boned newsroom and cast many photogs out in the street.

I decided it was time to make myself a little more valuable inside the newsroom if I wanted to survive. A year-and-a-half ago, I, one of the staunchest supporters of the two-man-crew, crossed over to the dark side. . . And the world didn't end. Hell, things even improved.

Think about it. Who, logically, can make the seamless switch to one of Rosey's minions and your penny-pinching Adult-in-the-Room's favorite: a fresh face from the halls of academia who's studied all about prepositional phrases, double negatives, and polished their telegenic grin; or a unshaven, scruffy-haired shooter who's learned the hard way when to ask the tough question and when to blend into the background? Sure, said bobble-head might look better doing it, but when the pictures from the point-and-shoot come back blue, out of focus, and over exposed, there ain't much that FCP can do to improve it.

Now if the same an experienced photog goes out, shoots the story, asks the questions, and can -- gasp -- even write it as well or better than the starry-eyed intern, who's more valuable?

And who can make the transition to a one-stop-shop for all the Adult-in-the-Room's needs? The easy answer is the experienced photog. Simply because we already got two-and-a-half of the three parts to storytelling down cold. Any photog worth his salt is gonna bring back better pictures than a reporter pressed into shooter duty. Any shooter around long enough to develop his hundred-yard stare understands storytelling and all the tools at his disposal, and they already have an idea of how to write. Hell, I'd even argue that you can't shoot a story without being able to write it.

So we should be, hands-down the logical choice when it comes to transitioning the newsroom to the new, sleeker model. But as everybody with an electronic lump on their shoulder knows, newsrooms are anything but logical. Bean-counters would rather hand a pretty face a point-and-shoot babycam that Uncle Fred used to shoot his son's wedding than foist a photog on their precious viewers.

I'm still not a believer in the Rosemblum gospel that anyone can be an OMB. It's not for everyone, but I have found the transition a natural one for shooters. I've also been asked to train reporters and those fresh-faced college grads. It ain't pretty.

I guess this is just to say I'm back, and I've got a whole new outlook. Now flame away.

Regards,
Turd

cyndygreen1

WOOT!

That is a major reason for the demise of news...choosing for looks over ability. Better to have a grizzled visionary with solid skills and ethics eyeballing news than a newbie with a great sense of fashion. Although we have to give credit to reporters where due - my storytelling and writing skills are a result of working alongside some pretty amazing on-camera dudes and dudettes.

And BTW - the VJ/BJ/SJ model is NOT new ... it harkens back to the era best known by our resident new media geek lost in an old media world - Amanda Emily. It predates TV. So while Rosenblum may have revitalized and and even made it a target of vilification, it has always belonged to those who hunk around large heavy pieces of technology.

B-rollers.

Rad

Well written (from a phormer photog?)!

You know I've been doing the same for a long time, but you've put pen to paper well (I mean fingers to keyboard). I'm going to copy and paste it in an email to my supervisor... I was going to just send her the B-roll link, but who needs supervisors poking around here.

Rad

Tom Servo

I for one have never been against the concept of one man bands. They're useful. However, they should not replace 2 man crews any more than pickup trucks should replace cars just because they can haul stuff. Both have roles to fill.

Rosenblum's model was "give everyone in the newsroom a camera from Best Buy, give them a little "training" seminar on "news shooting," and then throw them out in the field to "find a story." In the first place it was unworkable because the concept was that with 20 or 30 VJs running around, not everyone has to find a story every day. We all know from dealing with news managers that if someone isn't "working" every day, they're not needed and so they get fired. So the already bad model of giving untrained amateurs cheap amateur cameras and expecting professional results got even worse when applied by news managers, because now the entire skeleton news crew needs to be a successful VJ every day, with limited training and cheap cameras.

In short, Rosenblum's model was "sell a bunch of seminars that teach things that won't work, but make me a lot of consulting money."

You, Mr. Polisher, are a one-man-band. You have training in the art of visual storytelling. You have practiced that art. From what I recall of seeing your stuff, you're pretty good at it. All three of these attributes are unnecessary, and some might even say undesired, in a Rosenblum-modeled VJ shop. Far cheaper to get the kid fresh out of college (an English major, of course), hand him a little monkeycam, and tell him to "go make news."

Turdpolisher

Well said, Tom. that's why I'm not one of Rosey's disciples. I simply don't want photogs to fear the OMB model. When you thin about it, we can be the winners here. And we can actually improve te quality of the product.

skeyworth

Now if you guys just looked like the the weather girls on UNIVISION or Telemundo then you would rule the world!!!!

However, I have met most of you photogs and .....ya don't lol

Scott Keyworth

Michaelrosenblum

I have stayed away from here for a long time and I have no desire to relive the experience. However since it was raised let me just correct a few errors. First, in all the stations I have converted we trained the existing staff: we taught producers and reporters to shoot and cut and cameramen and women to script and story tell. There is no substitute for experience. I have been doing this for almost 25 years now and one thing remains true: the best VJs are always the former cameramen.

adam

Like so many other professions, you need to pay commensurate to the work. If you pay someone good money to OMB then you will attract the best photogs for the job. If you offer it merely as a way to increase the workload but save your job, the results will suffer. There are some great OMBs out there and there are some terrible two-man crews as well (there are also terrible 3 and 4 man crews). The bottom line is that the industry needs to recognize that a swiss-army knife of a journalist is a rare find and needs to be compensated. Otherwise, all that will be left are those who can't escape. Now, add in that you need to attract and retain talent by offering rewarding work... it's a tough recipe to bring together for a lot of stations.

Full disclosure: I left broadcast as part of a two-man system, but didn't like the way I saw my career playing out.

Alaska cameradude

Like so many other professions, you need to pay commensurate to the work. If you pay someone good money to OMB then you will attract the best photogs for the job. If you offer it merely as a way to increase the workload but save your job, the results will suffer. There are some great OMBs out there and there are some terrible two-man crews as well (there are also terrible 3 and 4 man crews). The bottom line is that the industry needs to recognize that a swiss-army knife of a journalist is a rare find and needs to be compensated. Otherwise, all that will be left are those who can't escape. Now, add in that you need to attract and retain talent by offering rewarding work... it's a tough recipe to bring together for a lot of stations.

Full disclosure: I left broadcast as part of a two-man system, but didn't like the way I saw my career playing out.
And there is the problem, and the reason I saw the writing on the wall
and got out of TV news as a staffer. I was just contacted yesterday
via email. Totally unsolicited. From a new TV 'conglomorate' the ones
who buy a bunch of stations (in my market they now own the ABC, CBS,
CW, and FOX stations). They want to hire a sales person to sell commmercials on all the stations and hire ONE production person to
shoot all the commercials, be a one man band for news, and also
start to produce full TV shows. They have been looking for someone
for awhile now and someone they were at lunch with brought up my name.
So they wanted to know if I was interested in the job. So I sent them
back a nice email with all my experience, demos of my work and so on,
but at the end, I gave them a statement like this:
"I am not going to prejudge you based on past experience so I am
totally willing to meet with you and sit down and talk about the
position. However, I am not some college kid eager to 'get my foot
in the door'. I am married, have 3 kids, and a house payment. I have
a lot of experience and think my work shows that."

I got back a nice email saying "thanks for being honest, we probably
don't have the budget to pay you"....which is exactly what I expected.
All I told them as far as hard numbers, was that in my town I can't
make a living on $12-$15 an hour. Apparently, that's what they want
to pay. Forget that, I can make that much money working 15 hours a
week as a one man video company....instead of working 50 hours a week
but only writing down 40 on my time sheet because 'We need a team player
in this position'.

punky cameraman

MR, I for one always welcome reading various opinions.
Unfortunately, B-roll these days is very polarized.
There are very few "staff TV photographers" here anymore.
It seems to be all freelancers and MMJs "that have been sent here looking for help".
So, at least half the crowd is yours.
Its 2011, is TV journalism any better then it was ten years ago?
Twenty?
All I know for sure is that most of the local TV I see these days "looks" like crap.

Congrats!

punky

Lenslinger

My friend Turd knows of what he speaks. I work alone almost every day. Shoot-Write-Edit, that's my mantra. I don't have to deal with cub reporters, rarely step foot in a live truck and most importantly, enjoy total control of my product. Bitch all you want about how life should be. Spend all your money chasing hollow statues. Or find a way to make yourself invaluable, all while stretching your storytelling skill-set. Don't believe me? Ask Richard Adkins about his last six months or so. Dude traverses the state solo and produces stories that cute new reporter-kitten can only dream of. I'm no Richard Adkins; I'm a staff photog who enjoys a lot of autonomy and hasn't worried about keeping my job in years.

Solo. Don't knock it 'til you try it. Beats looking for a reporter to go halfsies on some meaningless trinket contest.

Michaelrosenblum

Punky
I don't think TV news has gotten better in the past 10 or 20 years. In fact, I think it has gotten worse. But.. and this is a big but - the place for aggressive and smart videographers to be is newspapers and increasingly magazines as they transit to tablets and smart phones. They need video that is good, fast and cheap. And they have a broader view of what video news can be.
In fact, I am meeting up with a former TV news cameraman who has migrated to a paper down here quite successfully. I am anxious to hear what he has to say.
From my own experience, the best opportunities for video are still ahead of us - but probably not in local news.

Michaelrosenblum

Dear Alaska
Technology is the game changer in that triad.
eMail is faster, cheaper and better than snail mail. You digital stills camera is faster, cheaper and better than your old film camera. Unless you want to end up like the US Post Office or Kodak, best to embrace consequences of the fourth point of that equation: technology

cyndygreen1

Michael...

I think A.C.D. is referring to the balance of the three: cheap, fast, good. Generally you can only have two of the three points. The Catch 22 of production.