What do you edit on?

Canonman

Canonman,

How do you like Vegas 7? I have only seen it in action at NAB. Look great for music videos.....
Still fairly green with this application. It has good integration for XDCAM HD. Vegas grew out of an audio editing application and it has some strong audio tools to work with. But it's apparently pretty strong on video capabilities. It just looks weird having the one screen rather than the two-up viewer/canvas combo that mimics traditional hardware editors.

It seems to be a love it or hate it kind of NLE. Those that love it, are really into it and say it is a powerful program. It just doesn't appear to be on the surface.

For me, the jury's still out. I have a Mac at home with FCP, but my laptop is Windows based and I tried Avid Free DV last year. Avid wasn't very intuitive for me after working with FCP. I must say that Avid seems to be very efficiently coded and had a snappy response on my laptop. I used it to edit some video segments from the floor at NAB last year.

cm

Necktie Boy

Thanks for the feedback....And since Sony owns Vegas, it should handle XDCAM HD......I have always liked the interface of Vegas. Avid Free is fun to pay with. It's a keyboard editing software. If you learn the keyboard short cuts, it becomes easy to use. The early version of FCP didn't have mark in/out keyboard commands till later.
If you haven't found out yet, as long as you learn the keyboard short cuts for mark in/out, beginning/ending of the clip, and how to move from edit to edit, you can use any software....It's a CMX based. I think that system is like 20 years old??

But thanks for the information

Home/Freelance: FCP 5
Station: Canopus Edius Pro 4
Teach: AVID and FCP and the old school method Tape to Tape

Of all the systems Avid is still number one to use for me but Final Cut Pro is a close second. Canopus isnt worth the dvds its printed on to edit with not intuitive enough as well as horrible prestets that mess with you on deadline.

At work: Newsbyte. Which I think is just about perfect for day to day ENG.
In the field: Nothing. All field editing capabilities are null and void. In the sat truck, it's tape to tape.
At home: FCP on a G5. How sad that my stuff at home blows the stuff at work out of the water.
You mean to tell me that you can't edit in the field?!

Anyway:

Avid Xpress Pro/After Effects at work
Adobe Premiere Pro/After Effects at home

In the not-so-near future, I hope to have built myself an Avid Xpress PC system.

memphis-vid (ex-longhaul)

10 year old dvc pro tape-to-tape decks... i'm developing a really bad habit of trimming 6 frames forward before i lay the edit because the things slip so bad... and now for the good news. all of the decks are being sent out to be refurbished. it looks like we're going to get another 10 years out of them... if anyone is lookin for a fully functional brodcast museum, send em' over this way.

10 year old dvc pro tape-to-tape decks... i'm developing a really bad habit of trimming 6 frames forward before i lay the edit because the things slip so bad... and now for the good news. all of the decks are being sent out to be refurbished. it looks like we're going to get another 10 years out of them... if anyone is lookin for a fully functional brodcast museum, send em' over this way.
Yeah, DVC-PRO is starting to rub me the wrong way also.

SoMissTV

I try to edit on a desk when at all possible. It sure beats working on the floor.

We have Premiere Pro, FCP, and a couple of NewTek Video Toasters at work. Out of all the editors I've used (Avid, M100, CMX, FCP, Premiere) I actually enjoy the VT the most.

Land Rover

Thanks for remindingme of my 3/4" tape to tape days using the old Sony RM-440 controller and how bad they used to slip. Anybody remember those? That's something I DIDN"T need to be reminded of.

D.St.

Work: We have a mixture of Avid NC, Grass Valley Vibrint and an old Newsbyte which sits in pieces. We're going to Edius in the next few weeks.

BTW, anyone remember the old ACE-25 system hawked by Ampex? What a hunk of crap!!

soonershooter

Usually a LOT of caffeine, or something stronger.

Actually a collection of Avid Newscutters. Have one OLD Mac-based Media Composer (7.2!) that is completely stand-alone. Not tied into server/Unity at all. I still do a bit of work on that as well.

Question for those editing digitially:
Do you prefer to have one Computer monitior or 2?

I prefer 2. The previously-mentioned Media Composer has 2, and I managed to get ONE of our newscutters configured this way. I seem to be in the minority in my shop for preferring to work this way.

Necktie Boy

I'm with editor_dude......Two monitors or a very nice Dell 24 inch monitor. Use two monitors at work and at home.

smltm4nw

to many

work: Panasonic aj-d440 ---> Sony shuttle Rm-450 ---> Panasonic aj-d650. We are also testing Grass Valley edius 4 right now.

Home: FCP for most everything, after effects, photoshop, 3D studio max 7, and I even have Vegas if i'm on my pc and need to do something quick.