What do you edit on?

A Step Above Productions

With this new wounderfull editing forum we shoud start off with what do you edit on?

For my business I edit on Priemre Pro Production Studio. Personally I love it, it does everything I need.

When I freelance at the local statons in town I us either a DVC Pro suitcase editor (I love them, quick and easy to knock out a PKG), or Avid.

I don't wan this to be a debat as to what system is better - I just want to know what everyone is using.

Buck

Grass Valley and FCP at work.
At home I have FCP on a G5.
I also have the free Avid editing software on my laptop, but I really haven't played with it yet.

Alaska cameradude

I use FCP. Sometimes when I am making a graphics intensive commercial spot I will capture the video in FCP and then bring it into Adobe After Effects to do most of the editing and effects.....but of course After Effects is more of a "vertical" editing program than a "horizontal" editing program....not really useful for long form stuff, mostly just for short things that need lots of graphics.

Necktie Boy

At work, I used FCP to cut training videos and odds and ends. At home, I cut on Premiere Pro for Commercials and stuff. I also have Free Avid on my laptop. I also use After Effects and Boris FX and Graffitti , Photoshop, and Illustrator for graphics and effects.

Last edited:

Focused

At home I have FCX. I am upgrading to FC Studio as soon as that hospital bill is covered.

Who knew having your kids at the hospital could not be considered a business expence?

At work...totally different story. Still tape to tape. Yep. Tape to tape. Gotta love the news crunch. We have an older NLE, it doesn't work very well for packs so we use it mostly for effects to add as b-roll. The live and sat trucks are both set up for tape to tape as well so editing in the field is the same as in the office.

The best part is when other stations visit and people that have only used non-linear try to edit on tape. I feel bad for them and help out, but it's kind of funny that a lot of kids can't figure this skill out.

John M.

Premiere Pro 2.0. My work is basic -- straight cuts, dissolves, very few graphics or effects -- so it's more than I need. An earlier version of Premiere came bundled with a Matrox card I bought and it was fairly cheap to upgrade so I've stayed with Adobe rather than switch to Avid.

BluesDaddy

DVCPro tape-to-tape. Our machines are 8 years old and there are few pieces that consistently function at an acceptable level. We are way overdue for new equipment.

PHX Shooter

Im using the Adobe Production Suite and do Premiere Pro 2.0 on a Matrox RTX2 system. I've also spent a lot of time with FCP prior to that, but switched from Mac to PC.

Necktie Boy

PHX Shooter,
On Premiere Pro 2.0, does it handle audio as separate tracks or stereo as earlier Premiere Pro does?

Thanks

McFly

At work: Newsbyte. Which I think is just about perfect for day to day ENG.
In the field: Nothing. All field editing capabilities are null and void. In the sat truck, it's tape to tape.
At home: FCP on a G5. How sad that my stuff at home blows the stuff at work out of the water.

f11vid

PRO user
I shoot the tape.I hand it to the producer.They get on a plane to the coast.I go home and watch it on TV. My favorite kind of editing.

Tapeape

PHX Shooter,
On Premiere Pro 2.0, does it handle audio as separate tracks or stereo as earlier Premiere Pro does?

Thanks

Stereo, which IMO is better because you don't have to worry about turning tracks on and off while you're laying the piece down. Just go through while laying broll and flip the pan left or right for whichever channel you need. I find that faster than on Avid and others for the times when you've pulled nats off the wireless.

Necktie Boy

Hi Tapeape,

I guess you are editing nat on one track and VO on the other track.
And the audio is mixed over the air. The reason I asked is because I need the VO to output on both tracks. I hate "breaking out the audio".

Thanks

Canonman

I shoot the tape.I hand it to the producer.They get on a plane to the coast.I go home and watch it on TV. My favorite kind of editing.
My second favorite kind of editing. My favorite kind of editing is camera plugged into switcher at live event. At the conclusion, I unplug the camera, get paid, and go home. :)

I'm still learning to edit with FCP and now Vegas 7.

cm