Today I....

Natural Born Stringer

Originally posted by newshooter:
Wow, are arson arrests that exciting where your at? We 2 or 3 arsons every week. Most of them go unnoticed because they're so common and just kids playing with matches.
With all due respect, you need to read the articles about this fire. This is not your typical "kids playing with matches" story.

The fire started at a house where alot of really ugly incriminating evidence against catholic priests was being kept. Coincidence? I think not.

This fire also took out SIX houses. I doubt that was the arsonists' intention, but it turns this into an even bigger story if they catch the guy responsible.

Normally kids playing with matches is usually no big thing out here unless the kids get hurt. But this was no random occurrence IMHO. And yes, when they caught the guy setting multi million dollar houses on fire in a mountain preserve out here, they had a sting operation going to catch the bastard - the comm's were encrypted but I knew they'd call up for marked units when they saw the guy so I camped out nearby and listened up for that. As a result, I was there when they caught the guy which made me quite literally the first member of the media to know it had happened. So it pays to listen to those scanners, and to know what to listen for.

TightShot

woke up at 7 a.m., went to Voice and Diction class at 8 a.m., on to History of Western Civilization at 9:30, at 11:00 on to Studio Procedures I to read script at the desk, then to History of Russian Tsars at 12:30 to 1:50 p.m....walk out of class and turn on phones to receive two messages from work asking if I could "please come in before two"---HOW?!!?
Argh!! Arrive at work, rush out the door for a crime shoot, come back, sit down for fifteen minutes at the computer and my reporter asks "do you want to edit this VOB I have for 5.oh, I'll finish later. Just got the snap, snap snap of the reporter's fingers and I have to jump at her freakin command.

[ September 15, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Tight Shot ]

RichVid

...got calls for old footage; The Saturday after Katrina hit, when things were at their worst down there, I shot a local story where a body was found stuffed in a shopping cart and burned (completely)... I figured what the heck, it might be worth a hit or two so I fed tape in anyway, just in case, but to no avail... as it turned out, Katrina and the death of Rehnquist carried the day for all local news in my area...No biggie...

Now, 11 days later, the PD has the suspect in custody...Domestic violence thing with the woman as victim...At the time of the shoot there was no way to tell sex/gender/age or anything. Now they wanna run the story...I'm up in L.A., my tape is at home, 22 miles away (seems like 50 miles in afternoon traffic), and my feed point is like another 10-seems like 30- miles away from home...They no longer have the tape I fed the first time...Go boy... run run run.... :rolleyes:

TightShot

to continue.......after said reporter's request, we hopped in the live van to go to a Katrina update meeting at local ISD HQ...shoot that meeting for an hour or so, grab a couple of interviews, rush back to the station. Walk in the door, told I have to set two newsroom camera shots, do that, cue the reporter, then head outside for the weather guy's tease...then find out, since I am on-call tonight, I am supposed to camp out at the location where several evacuees will be arriving sometime between 10 p.m.and 2 a.m.

TightShot

My weekend came and went. And it was good. And it's coming back soon.
I did a live shot today, well lit, good audio and video, no stray people wandering by, it was good.

[ September 20, 2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Tight Shot ]

Latin Lens

haven't done SH*#!!!!!!!!!!!

came in at 3am. surfed the net. posted like four times (make it five on B-roll.net)

but i have a make-over shoot at 7am with some mildly famous make-over guy....jealous?

SmlMktChief

Haven't done SHI*!!! either. Played on the internet till...
Shot a late (3 pm) VO of planes comming in for the CAF Air Show.

BluesDaddy

...came in around 9:45am ...gave our promotions director an orientation with one of our live trucks ...spent a little time in the shop repairing an XLR connector ...shadowed an engineer doing an sat truck uplink in the parking lot to feed tape for an Ohio affiliate ...went down to J-ville to do 5 & 6 live shots in the DSNG/ENG truck ...during the down-time between hits, practised acquiring the satellite (IA-6) ... a little more practice and I'll be doing uplinks! ...after that, went and put $150(!) in diesel in the truck ...shot 2 football games, edited/fed the hilites and set up our live(!) coach interview for The Blitz!

Latin Lens

stardate Oct. 5th; year 2005

had to fill-in for a vacationing editor...which is funny; isn't editing a vacation? J/K

logged a new topic roughly around 8:12 am

made fun of michael rosenblum

Waited around all day waiting to get a script. Last 3 days done shooting @ 4:30 pm, don't get a script until 10 pm because "well we're only at 11". I just pray for breaking news that I can't go to because the reporter waits until the last minute.

FTOJRLST

0845 - Left House
0920 - Arrived at the end of a press conference to get a VoSot.
1015 - Back at Station....Edit Vo Sot for noon show.
1045 - Head out for another VoSot
1110 - Shoot VoSot
1145 - Edit and Feed VoSot in the Live Truck that is being used for American Idol Audition Coverage.
1215- Pick up Stewart "Lenslinger" Pittman from Idol Coverage and drive 3 blocks to Chic fil A to pick up lunch for his reporter and us.
1230 - Continue the wait for local American Idol talent.
1300- Head out on VoSot 15 minutes up the road.(Jack Hanna the animal guy)
1430 - finish this long and drawn out VoSot that will be on my blog shortly (http://tvphotogblog.blogspot.com)
1530 - Edit and Feed VoSot and teases from Live Truck at Idol shoot.
1600 - Edit 5 o'clock Idol package while Stewart keeps shooting the locals as they get word on Hollywood or not.
1635 - Feed PKG(1:25)
1650 - Try to figure out why no video coming into the truck from my camera for the live shot...found it.
1709 - LIVE
1717 - Edit 6 pm PKG while Stewart keeps on shooting.
1740 - Finish PKG(1:18) but wait for reporter approval before feeding (can't show some idol contestants who are going to Hollywood, it's a secret.)

1755 - Feed PKG.
1757 - Set up Camera
1810 - LIVE tease
1812 - LIVE
1820 - Head back to station to pick up new discs and batteries.
1900 - Head Home

phere126

shot a vo of the remainder of an mva. 2 little girls got hit by a van in west philly, then i acted as a tape courier (spelling)taking file vid up to a live truck, then edited a pkg.

Run 'n' Get 'em

-Shot a folo of a husband and wife murder/suicide that happened yesterday
-Shot an mva
-Practiced uplinking, everything but actually transmitting to the bird...when the scanners died down that is