Madoff Shove

dvmedia

Just wondering if anybody is as angry and embarrassed about the photog who shoved Madoff back. (I dont have a link to video if anyone does please post) I know the scrum is part of our business, and even if the guy is scum like Madoff, I would never put my hands on a "civilian". I also know that we are the first ones to scream bloody murder when a subject pushes or puts their hands on us.

Tallinvegas

ya know that really ticked me off. I myself don't think very highly of him (madoff), but there is NO reason to shove a guy like that. I wonder if the snapper did it in order to get a certain picture he was looking for. This was totally out of order....

Icarus112277

Let me be the first non-nice guy to say that guy is lucky all he got was a shove.
I'm real surprised no one has sent him to a dirt nap yet.

grayhair

that was extrememly disappointing to watch. Doesn't that shove open him up to battery charges (even though Madoff may deserve that, and more)? I'm surprised Madoff's attorney didn't cry he's "innocent until proven guilty" and still deserves full protection of the law until then.

MtnShooter

Yep. That was battery.

Although I've never heard of it being used, legally a photog or reporter who intentionally keeps a person from walking a certain direction by blocking that person's path could be charged with false imprisonment.

Might be hard to find a jury to convict that reporter or photog in Madoff's case, however. What a puke.

dvmedia

Not Just Palm Beach millionaires

Those Palm Beach Millionaires own companies that employ the so called little people. If you dont think that many people got laid off because the millionaires invested with him you are mistaken. And what about these millionaires who invested thier companies pensions or the charities that lost millions. Lots of innocent people lost also.

Land Rover

I doesn't matter what he's done, and he's done quite a bit, as a memeber of the press you don't behave that way. Like someone said earlier, it looks like he was almost trying to bait him into doing something. he wouldn't let him by and pushed him back and then a few seconds later he pushed him harder. Its not right.

This being a computer screen I can't make out if the guy has a camera or not. Do we KNOW this was a member of the press?
This is what I really want to know. Somebody out there has to know who this guy is. Or is it possible that he is in fact not a member of the press but somebody with an ax to grind imagined or otherwise.

You can tell from the first posted video, it runs bigger from youtube, that it was a still photographer. It looks to me like he pushes him back so he has space to take his picture.It is so unprofessional it his hard to describe. I've been a freelance still news photographer for more than 20 years and crap like that just makes me cringe.

Duane

yeah it was a still photographer the thing is if you look at the second video where you see his face. He appears to be using a prosumer dslr and what looks like a consumer 200mm or longer lens. I don't know too many pros's who would keep the long lens on when trying to shoot from that close, could be a blogger. I just can't help that any pro outside of paparazzi who was crass enough to pull this garbage would likely find himself hurting for work in the near future.

Not all Millionaires

If you've read any of the major newspapers' stories you'd know that a lot of regular people lot their life savings with this jerk. And just because somebody works his whole life and makes a couple million does not mean he is undeserving of sympathy. Granted, the common theme with all his investors was greed. They were promised returns way above market and fell for it.

Regarding the shove, it reminded me of covering David Westerfield the child rapist and murderer in San Diego. I was within arm's length of him several times and was always tempted to put him down....you shoot enough of these types and wish somebody would take care of them....not surprising at all the cops play a little catch up.

punky cameraman

a couple observations ......

the offending photog appeared to be the first to photograph him
from behind a car no less

madoffs hands were in his pockets until he reached the photographers.
he pulled them out, and we don't see the "first" contact

the offending "snapper" is probably a pro ..... he is using a canon EOS 1ds mark III
with what looks like a 24-70 2.8 "L" series lense ...... not cheap gear

now, the offending "snapper" is dead wrong for assaulting Mr. Madoff.
then again Mr. Madoff may have swatted the "snapper" first
the "snapper" also showed skill by getting in early and pressing his position.
i bet he got the shot ..... and who knows his bosses may have no ethical
problems with a little shove

and you know the old saying "when in rome"

i have had the misfortune to be stuck in the middle of a new york city scrum
and as many of you know pushing and shoving is so normal its almost "SOP"
i think this instance is unique only in that it was caught in such a singular way
moments later everyone is "assaulting" everyone and bernie is pushing his way through.

but yes, i agree the "snapper" is guilty!

and bernie is a "mench"

punky