Imus

pre-set

Interesting view, pre-set. I think it goes along the lines of, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." Or, more to the point, if I came to your house to visit, you would expect me to honor your code of conduct while there (ie: not smoking, not putting feet on furniture, etc.).

However, like you, I find the practice offensive and down right stupid.

cm

Thats apples, and we're talking about oranges, dude...

It's not the same. Asking you not to put your feet on the table or smoke in my house isn't the same as subjugating (sp?) your wife, daughter, mother or sister.

Baltimore Shooter

Yet, the leaders of the black community have not spoken out against the racist lyrics on rap albums. Talk about wanting to have it both ways.

There's all this talk now that our culture has become too mean. Yet, all the talking head shows want to talk about is shock jocks. They don't want to discuss the racism and mean spiritedness in rap. They side-step that issue. Why?

I'll tell you why. Because once they do that, Jackson and Sharpton will come out saying it's okay to do it in rap music, unless of course it was a white rapper.

Warren

Frank McBride

Yet, the leaders of the black community have not spoken out against the racist lyrics on rap albums. Talk about wanting to have it both ways.

There's all this talk now that our culture has become too mean. Yet, all the talking head shows want to talk about is shock jocks. They don't want to discuss the racism and mean spiritedness in rap. They side-step that issue. Why?

I'll tell you why. Because once they do that, Jackson and Sharpton will come out saying it's okay to do it in rap music, unless of course it was a white rapper.

Warren
Don't you know that if you point out the double standard you will be labeled a racist yourself?

FMc

Foxwood

Jackson and Sharpton didn't have radio and TV shows. MSNBC and CBS radio fired Imus because sponsors were dropping like flies. You don't have sponsors, you can't pay the guy millions. It's pretty simple.

Fearless Leader

"Yet, the leaders of the black community have not spoken out against the racist lyrics on rap albums."

Actually, to one degree or another, they have. i'm not going to pay money to read the full articles, but just check google news archives for "rap lyric protest"-you can at least read the abstracts. However, when it comes to hip hop lyrics, things are more complicated. Musical preference aside, at least some of these rappers are actually very perceptive and are using the language in a creative way, utilizing these words to spark incite and convey artistic meaning, rather than simply ignorantly labeling.

Also, to a degree, hip hop is an "internal" thing, compared to someone like Imus, a rich white dude who comes out and calls someone else a name for no other reason than he thinks it's funny.

You cannot seperate the words or actions from the context in which they are said or done, that is what defines what is offensive. It's not really a double standard, it's an awareness of context.

Now, taking offense or not, i don't think he should have been fired. I think we could have learned more from him redirecting this negative reaction into a more positive result. Firing him just gets the offender out of the way, but doesn't really address the issue/cause.

Baltimore Shooter

Also, to a degree, hip hop is an "internal" thing, compared to someone like Imus, a rich white dude who comes out and calls someone else a name for no other reason than he thinks it's funny.
Wow, that is one of the dumbest excuses I've seen in a while. And I suppose when Jessie Jackson called the Jewish community "Himeytown", that was an "internal" thing too?

Warren

pre-set

"Yet, the leaders of the black community have not spoken out against the racist lyrics on rap albums."

Actually, to one degree or another, they have....

Bill Cosby comes to mind. Of course, he was immediately labled an "uncleTom", then denounced and disowned...

The big white outrage....

Where is the outrage in the Asian community over the Virgina Tech shooter? Where is the outrage over Kim Jong Il? Why aren't hispanics "outraged" about the treatment of Albert Gonzalez? Where is the white community's "outrage" about Don Imus? Did you take to the streets first and foremost, when you (white person) heard about what Imus said to seperate yourself from the statements? If you are white, and Don Imus is also white -- Don Imus is therefore one of your "white community leaders". He speaks for you. Therefore, unless if you publicly spoke out about what he said you agree with him and he speaks for you. As does Rush Limbaugh and Conan O'brein. Before you have a debate about what rappers say or Chris Rock says or anything else, you must first take the time to publicly criticize and seperate yourself from this "white community leader" -- unless if you agree with him. So...please. Get outraged. Oh, and when you are finished with that, I have list of several things "white community leaders" have done or said that represent the feelings of you and you need to get going being outraged and publicly speaking out against all of them.

Seeing as you think that ALL people with dark skin living in the United States are collectively represented by only Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Just like reporters asking black people, "What will you do now that your leader is gone?" after Martin Luther King was shot. Because all black people are the same and only one or two people can represent them.

You know, on this message board I've heard. "Now that the Democrats control the senate you don't hear anything about corrupt voting machines or voting reform." I didn't say anything because it wasn't worth my time. But, guess what? Wrong. It still goes on...I read about bad voting machines and the need for a paper trail in voting everyday. I sign petitions about it all the time. But guess what? That isn't in the news. Even in the "liberal media". The fight still goes on.

People don't stop worrying about global warming during the winter.

Not all black people want Tiger Woods to win the Masters.

Wow, guess what? Lots and lots and lots and lots of black people do NOT like the lyrics of SOME rap music. Lots and lots of african americans make rap music that does not contain violent and degrading imagery towards women. Lots of them try to invoke change every day. Doesn't necessarily make it on TV though. (Oh, by the way, white people we need to hear more outrage from you about Johnny Cash saying "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die..." and also the to Hank Williams saying, "The way to keep a woman happy and make her do what's right, is love her every morning, bawl her out at night." What's that? You don't like country music? That music doesn't represent you? Are you white? Yes you do! Yes it does! Outrage and public decrying, please!)

The blanket comments are racist and stupid and have no validity. Get over your hatred of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Wow, they say stupid things some times and do dumb things other times. Guess what, so does the president! And he is WHITE. And if you are white....wow he represents you. Your white "community leader" said, "Bring it on." Which basically means, "Come on, give us (the troops) your best shot. We (the troops actually fighting) can take it, we (again, soldiers) can take some deaths and still win." Hands down the dumbest thing he has ever said. Hands down the biggest "white community leader" in this country. Were you outraged?

Juliofx34

I got other stuff to waste my hate on....but I will say this...before he made the comment, did he look in a mirror???? Lots of room to talk there.

Baltimore Shooter

Well, this is interesting. Because of the Imus fallout, rap mogul Russell Simmons is saying the genre should end the use of several words. Here is the article from MSN:

Simmons Says 3 Epithets Should Be Banned

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons said Monday that the recording and broadcast industries should consistently ban three racial and sexist epithets from all so-called clean versions of rap songs and the airwaves.

Currently such epithets are banned from most clean versions, but record companies sometimes "arbitrarily" decide which offensive words to exclude and there's no uniform standard for deleting such words, Simmons said.

The recommendations drew mixed reaction and come two weeks after some began carping anew about rap lyrics after radio personality Don Imus was fired by CBS Radio and NBC for referring to the players on the Rutgers university women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."

Expressing concern about the "growing public outrage" over the use of such words in rap lyrics, Simmons said the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" should be considered "extreme curse words."

"We recommend (they're) always out," Simmons, the pioneering entrepreneur who made millions of dollars as he helped shape hip-hop culture, said in an interview Monday. "This is a first step. It's a clear message and a consistency that we want the industry to accept for more corporate social responsibility."

Last week, Simmons called a private meeting of influential music industry executives to discuss the issue. However, no music executives were associated with Monday's announcement by Simmons' Hip-Hop Summit Action Network.

Calls to Sony Music, Universal Music Group and Atlantic Records were not returned. The Recording Industry Association of America and Warner Music Group declined to comment.

Reaction to the announcement was mixed.

Bakari Kitwana, who has written about rap in books such as "Why White Kids Love Hip-Hop," said it was a step in the right direction. Kitwana said there needed to be uniformity in removing obscenities from music. He pointed out that in some songs curse words are replaced with clean words while, in others, epithets and curse words are merely covered up by silence, allowing listeners to still infer from context the edited words.

"It shows that people in the industry are realizing that the pendulum is swinging and that there's a national conversation that they don't want to be on the wrong side of," Kitwana said of the recommendations.

"This is further along than we could have expected them to go 10 years ago. But there has to be more. I think they can do more around the question of content."

Writer Joan Morgan said the announcement amounted to "absolutely nothing." She called the recommendations "short-sighted at best and disingenuous at worst." It was, she said, an "anemic, insufficient response" that failed to address homophobia and other issues in certain strains of hip-hop culture and rap music.

Morgan, author of "When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down," said calling for the removal of the three epithets assumes "all of the violence, misogyny and sexism in hip-hop is only expressed in" those words.

"It's says let's take the responsibility away from people creating the content and put it back on the corporations," said Morgan.

The recommendations also included forums to foster dialogue among entertainers, hip-hop fans and executives and the creation of a mentoring program for entertainers. Another recommendation called for the establishment of a coalition of music, radio and television executives to advise those industries on "lyrical and visual standards."

The announcement cautioned against violating free-speech rights but said that freedom of expression comes with responsibility.

"Our discussions are about the corporate social responsibility of the industry to voluntarily show respect to African-Americans and other people of color, African-American women and to all women in lyrics and images," read a joint statement from Simmons and Benjamin Chavis, the network's executive director.
-------------------------------------------
Link here - http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=259845&GT1=7702

Warren

Buck Satan

So much for "Blazing Saddles"...
And 2 Live Crew. Now there is a band that didnt have to stoop to cheap insults to press an album...:)

NEWSSHOOTER3

Yep. The whole damn situation is way out of hand now. So, just to be safe, don't ever try to be funny anymore so no one's feelings get hurt... yeah, that's what its come to...

Foxwood

Rest assured, blantant racism still gets a pass in Radioland. Rush Limbaugh recently played a song titled, "Barack, the Magic Negro" on his program.

Last edited:

Foxwood

She is a moron. I'm sure everyone has heard about that in the media. But why was there nothing about what Rush said? It's not the first time that he has made racist comments. It could be because he is playing to his audience.

A question: Barack Obama has a Black Father, and a White Mother. By my math, he is half white and half black. Yet all we hear about is how he is black. Why is that? If you call him black, you should be prepared to call him white. Rush gets away with the racial slurs though. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)

Last edited: