Imus

NEWSSHOOTER3

Alright. Much to my amazement, no one's gone there yet...

So, was what he said REALLY that offensive? Stupid, yes. But, this firestorm is just a circus of idiocy, in my opinion.

On the positive side, it has opened debate over racism, BUT... is this racism, or just Imus making an ignorant ill-directed statement?

Foxwood

It was stupid and racist. It takes a lot to get into Rutgers. It takes more to move a once lame basketball program to that level. What he said was meant to put those women down, by both race and gender. Don't agree? Go call your wife or girlfriend the same thing, "Nappy Headed Ho," then come back and tell us how that went.

I've seen several interviews with the women on the team. They have presented themselves far better and more intelligent than that aged radio talk show host.

I don't know if he should be fired, that's up to the people that employ him. He is an Asshat though.

Baltimore Shooter

What about when Jessie Jackson made the "Himeytown" comment? He kept his job.

How about when Al Sharpton let Tawany(?) Brawley(?) LIE about being raped by a white man? He kept his job.

Warren

Foxwood

Those comments were wrong as well. As far as I know though, they didn't have a talk show carried on television and radio. And they did not have a powerhouse like MSNBC or CBS radio paying their salary. They were also not casting a disparaging remark specifically meant to cut down a group of people who had achieved a major mark. Those players did nothing to deserve those remarks. The comments were based on Imus's observations and racial leanings. Their achievements should be celebrated, not cut down due to his racial beliefs. Again, who would you say that to? Really!!!!!

I do dislike arguments that that rely on the, "somebody else did this or that," element. This discussion is about Imus. If you want to defend an action, give a straight up defense. Please don't go out on a tangent.

ewink

What about when Jessie Jackson made the "Himeytown" comment? He kept his job.

How about when Al Sharpton let Tawany(?) Brawley(?) LIE about being raped by a white man? He kept his job.

Warren
They have jobs?

Quite frankly, no matter how stupid or how ignorant what he said was, he has the right to say it. And people, as consumers, have the right to put him out of business.

Capitalism is a wonderful thing...

NEWSSHOOTER3

Okay, for argument's sake, let's put the shoe on the other foot. Here's a story I did recently in Atlanta. Did you even hear about this "art" displayed, not in a private gallery, but in the Atlanta Police Department? I bet not...

http://www.cbs46.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1340073&h1=Meeting Held On Controversial Artwork&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=123700&LaunchPageAdTag=Business&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http://www.cbs46.com/Global/SearchResults.asp?vendor=wss&qu=racist&rnd=15165429

Frank McBride

Okay, for argument's sake, let's put the shoe on the other foot. Here's a story I did recently in Atlanta. Did you even hear about this "art" displayed, not in a private gallery, but in the Atlanta Police Department? I bet not...

http://www.cbs46.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1340073&h1=Meeting Held On Controversial Artwork&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=123700&LaunchPageAdTag=Business&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http://www.cbs46.com/Global/SearchResults.asp?vendor=wss&qu=racist&rnd=15165429
The quotes you put on the word art suggest you had a problem with the painting. What did you object to?

It did take a position, and a police station seems a strange place to display it, but that was a pretty tame statement it made, aimed at no particular group of people. Totally different from what Imus did. I'm not surprised I had not heard about it. It wasn't that big of a deal.

FMc

Baltimore Shooter

Interesting. The 'art' on display said "it's okay to hate the white man", it's spelled out, right there, all you have to do is look at it.

And black people are okay with it!

I'll bet they wouldn't be okay with it if it said "It's okay to hate the black man". Where's Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton to denounce that? They are nowhere to be found. Shouldn't they be trying to stop the hate, regardless of which race is the aggressor???

Yet, Jessie and Al are in hiding, probably at some event to promote 'gangsta' rap and the black woman who lied about being raped by 4 white Duke lacrosse players.

Warren

Last edited:

pre-set

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any of those things to happen, dude. And logically speaking, why would they? There's nothing to be gained by acknowledging a mistake or perceived hypocrassy, so why bother even going there? They just pretend it's not there or didn't happen, and wait for the next thing to come along that suits their agenda.

It's not being unfair, it's just good strategy if you're a politcal/cultural gadfly.

Jesse and Al aren't the only ones guilty of that... Lots of other activist-types on all parts of the political spectrum do the same things.

The National Organization for Women should have rioted when Speaker Pelosi was made (forced?) to wear a burka when she visited Syria last week, but all you heard from their direction was crickets....

I've got my differences with the speakers politics, but as a "man", I find it offensive that this lady, 3rd in line of succession in our government, has to "bow" to a mysogonistic culture that demands their women wear ugly, black bedsheets.....

Rant over....

Kaiser

bravo

I applaud MSNBC's decision to cancel its simulcast of the show. It took a lot of courage and integrity to do nothing for a week then drop the show after advertisers pulled out.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Really?

The quotes you put on the word art suggest you had a problem with the painting. What did you object to?

It did take a position, and a police station seems a strange place to display it, but that was a pretty tame statement it made, aimed at no particular group of people. Totally different from what Imus did. I'm not surprised I had not heard about it. It wasn't that big of a deal.

FMc
As far as "art", I couldn't care less. Most of it is garbage to me anyway. Good for them if they get a check from it. I'm not upset, or offended, by this display. It means nothing to me. It has no value in my world.

The point was trying to put the shoe on the other foot. What if it was hispanic, muslim, or black? I believe you would have heard about it then.

Frank McBride

As far as "art", I couldn't care less. Most of it is garbage to me anyway. Good for them if they get a check from it. I'm not upset, or offended, by this display. It means nothing to me. It has no value in my world.

The point was trying to put the shoe on the other foot. What if it was hispanic, muslim, or black? I believe you would have heard about it then.
I think I interpretted that piece differently than you. I thought the artist was trying to point out a societal prejudice against white men, not to promote or condone hate against them. If you replace white with other races, I don't think it would cause any more controversy, though some may be less accurate than others.

FMc

Foxwood

And life goes on, minus-Imus. He'll be back on the air somewhere before his previous suspension expires.

pre-set

What sucks though is that this further establishes precedent, and our freedoms of speech and thought (even dumb speech and stupid thoughts) are now a little bit weaker than they were a few days ago.....

I can't stand Rosie O'Donnel, but I heard she said something I totally agree with yesterday - specifically, that "this incident will just make it easier for canning someone the "next" time when someone says something the "other" side doesn't like"....

She's right. Yeah, I'm sure said it outta preemptive self-preservation, but it's true.

Olberman, Limbuagh, Marr, Savage, O'Donnel, O'Riley, Shultz, Beck...... Doesn't matter which side of the fence you sit on, sooner or later you'll be fair game for the "other" side...

And that sucks for all of us.

Foxwood

Nah. There is no danger to Freedom of Speech. Just a greater awareness of the price you may have to pay if your boss or audience doesn't agree.

The irony just hit me as I saw photos of him getting in his limo. That guy has the nerve to comment on somebody elses hair?

Whew! No wonder he wears that dumbass cowboy hat. Nice belt buckle too.

pre-set

Yeah, but that's not what I'm getting at. What I mean is, this whole mess is just giving activists - be they left or right - a bigger stick to club the people they wanna silence on the opposing side.

Example.... I don't like Randi Rhodes. But I don't wanna get her fired or taken off the air, either. But lots of Conservatives (who haven't thought this thing all-the-way-through) would like to see that happen.

They're wrong in that, but can't see that doing so would just make it easier for someone to take one of their favorites off the air.

I think it's just a road we shouldn't be going down.

Canonman

as a "man", I find it offensive that this lady, 3rd in line of succession in our government, has to "bow" to a mysogonistic culture that demands their women wear ugly, black bedsheets
Interesting view, pre-set. I think it goes along the lines of, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." Or, more to the point, if I came to your house to visit, you would expect me to honor your code of conduct while there (ie: not smoking, not putting feet on furniture, etc.).

However, like you, I find the practice offensive and down right stupid.

cm