I have an opening, no tapes in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by SpaShooter:
Anyone know of any small markets w/ a big city feel that would take a fairly "green" shooter... I've shot plenty of stuff on plenty of cams (XL1, DVCPro, BetaSX) but not a lot of it is news...

Would be happy to send a tape about anywhere, Beach preferred :D
It all depends on the tape and who's looking at it, but some possible first markets near the beach would be: Ft. Myers, FL; Pensacola, FL; Corpus Christi, TX; Charleston, SC; Brunswick, GA;

ABC Chief

Have you tried sending postings to colleges in the area. I am in a college town. There never seems to be a shortage of availible candidates. The only problem is finding one that will be self starting after a few weeks, take guidence and retain what they have learned. But they do exist. My additional advice is wait, don't rush to get anyone the right one will come. Contact other chiefs in smaller markets as well and see if they know of someone on their staff that would be a good fit to your shop. I know alot of corporate structured stations pull talent and other positions to the larger market stations when the have a opening. See if a "sister" station in your company has a good shooter for you.

Run 'n' Get 'em

Anyone on here a chief/shooter at the wbbh/wzvn duopoly? PM me or post here w/ some contact info and I'll get back to you...

From Florida and would love to get back should there be any openings... a few people at my current place (former water drops) recommended that I check bbh/zvn out

jajack71

As a photog under age 40 in Market 70. One of the main complaints is the pay it's like why move from the hot skillet into the fire. I know CP's only possses so much power but, my God please excuse me for wanting to buy a few extra groceries next week. Honestly is very uncool to offer sun dollars and water as pay incentives. Especially when I'm working in the sun for 10 to 12 hours what difference does it make? If the weather is great and I can't afford to take advantage of what Florida has to offer unless it's free? The entire job market is changing. You have people with their 5,000.00 video cameras a G5 computer who are making more money freelancing than working at news station. I have a great CP he took a chance on me I never worked in news before my experience came from freelancing and working in coporate video production. I think some CP are looking for these super spectacular tapes which is fine but, ask yourself how many average tapes have you looked past? As long as a photo has a positive attitude about what he or she is doing and knows how to shoot ,edit and light and has common sense that's all that matters. I had another CP tell me that my material was lacking the kind of news that is shot at their station. The last time I checked shooting video and sound is a basic funtion of our business. (I just venting also.)He never took time to say well maYbe his particular maket does not get the kind of stories that I get in my market. Anyway I hope you get plenty of tapes in the near future but consider a few points that I made.

A Step Above Productions

Originally posted by SpaShooter:
Anyone on here a chief/shooter at the wbbh/wzvn duopoly? PM me or post here w/ some contact info and I'll get back to you...

From Florida and would love to get back should there be any openings... a few people at my current place (former water drops) recommended that I check bbh/zvn out
SpaShooter,

I don't know about BBH/ZVN... but I do know about WINK. We have a couple of positions open. Two in the Naples Bureau (one being mine). If you are trully interested in returning to S.W. Florida I would send a tape NOW!!! to WINK.

Run 'n' Get 'em

Originally posted by news-quest:
SpaShooter,

I don't know about BBH/ZVN... but I do know about WINK. We have a couple of positions open. Two in the Naples Bureau (one being mine). If you are trully interested in returning to S.W. Florida I would send a tape NOW!!! to WINK.
Was sent priority mail Monday...Should be getting there any day now

Guy Critique

Looking for NPPA Workshop graduates who have the attitude to succeed to be the best storytellers in the country.
Must know how to find positive solutions to daily problems, run ENG vans safely, and are only as good as their next story.

See the ad for WGCL CBS 46 TV in Atlana on the b-roll job section for more info!

[ May 20, 2005, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Guy Critique ]

Bdubs

Ya well maybe if you would look at some of those "newbies" more often maybe it wouldnt be so hard to find people. Sometimes taking those guys under your wing and helping them out would give you better Karma. I've been trying to find a job as a Phtog for about 3 years now and cant get one anywhere. I have rethought about what rpofession I have been in for 5 years now and thinking another two years and i walk from it without any regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.