I have an opening, no tapes in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan bach

$1,500 would be generous, considering the pittance I've received for moving allowences my past few jobs...

Reporters get the professional move. Photographers usually get squat.

Trybe One

i dont live in florida but spent most of the
year covering it...most of are shop,
made a good living in the Sunshine state.
racking up 140-180-200 hrs every 2 weeks there..

o yea, one more thing 1500 hundred sounds good till taxes take a chunk out of it.,.

Trybe One

The goverment moves you for a job.
They contract Mayflower for moving.
So if you didnt get moved, while in the military,
or being a civilian working for the government.
You didnt ask..or got the run around to avoid paper work..

C St. SW

Originally posted by Trybe One:
The goverment moves you for a job.
They contract Mayflower for moving.
So if you didnt get moved, while in the military,
or being a civilian working for the government.
You didnt ask..or got the run around to avoid paper work..
Wrong again. Look at many if not most federal job postings, you will see the line at the top of the page, big and bold: "relocation expenses not authorized." Seems that HR has this thing about using taxpayer money to move people for jobs. If you are already IN the federal system and they want to move you to another job, you can get relocation, but don't count on it for that first job unless your a political appointee or SES.

Military is all together different. They will pay to relocate you to your assigned post. Private sector HR rules pale in comparison to federal HR rules. There's very little, if any, room for negotiation if you're going after that first GS job.

LeftEye

Perhaps the low wage thing is finally becoming a problem for stations looking to put professional video on the air. Just perhaps.

PhotogFromFL

But, the low wage thing (and I haven't revealed what we pay) wasn't an issue the last 6 times (the most recent being 4 months ago) and now, all of a sudden, it is?

I can't accept that as the ONLY reason. I know my people make too little money and I know we've been hit to one degree or another by four hurricanes. But, zero tapes? We are still getting reporter tapes and we haven't posted a new job in 6 months!

I would love to raise everyone's wage by 30%, but that's not likely to happen. What can i do besides?

LeftEye

Ok, why not try farming the local colleges for a new guy? Maybe you could offer to hold a lighting seminar for the bright eyed and eager?

No offense, but it's pretty easy to deduce what you might pay someone, and I'm embarrased to say I accepted a wage that low when I was starting out. I'm not saying I got into this biz looking to get rich, but I was looking to get comfortable. Suffice it to say it didn't ever happen in local news, I had to go into corperate vid/marketing to make a living. Yeah, it has its negatives too, but I don't worry about bills half as much.
Put yourself in a young candidate's position, why would he want to work for you? Pay aside, after he gets the job is there something to look forward to? A future he can write home about? Or will he be "just a photog" - I've seen a very slim few get out of that category, and that's because they went above a beyond every day. It's too bad the other positions in the newsroom get that respect inherently, while photogs have to "earn it".
This may be a bit off subject, but I believe it's all related. And I don't believe your situation in the middle markets will change until the pay/attitudes do.

Shootblue

Originally posted by LeftEye:
A future he can write home about? Or will he be "just a photog" - I've seen a very slim few get out of that category, and that's because they went above a beyond every day. It's too bad the other positions in the newsroom get that respect inherently, while photogs have to "earn it".
That perhaps sums up so much that is wrong...just like camera op is to the tech crew, we are just camera ops to so many people in the newsroom, no respect. How we fix that I dont know...I'll leave that for the smarter crowd.

Shaky & Blue

Originally posted by photoginFL:
We are still getting reporter tapes...
Yes, but photogs are a LOT smarter than reporters. Besides, reporters will send their tapes anywhere there even might possibly be the tiniest hope of an opening, because they are, in essence, whores.

tv cam

Current Chief,
I'm an older guy with experience, currently shooting as an indie for 4 stations in the 50s market. I've been freezing for years, and have applied to a few southern stations, but no success yet! I'm just looking for a good gig in warm weather. I can handle all tape formats and not too crazy about the live truck.
If you or any guys out there might want to hire a guy who is currently not a staff shooter, I'm up
for the job. I dont mind traveling for an interview, and I take orders good, just check with my wife!
tv cam

Currentchief

I got three tapes the other day!

Things are looking up. I hope I get more, I love making these choices.

I can always use more tapes. And for those of you who sent me some, this is not to say I didn't like yours, I always look at tapes 2 or three times before deciding. I also ask my photogs to look at the tapes.

There is still time for others.

Thanks for all of your input!

WV24fpspro

Although the problem may only be sovled on a temporary basis.

The answer to this isn't exactly rocket science.

In order to obtain a higher quality employee one has to be willing to get the employer to spend the money for the wages and benefits. Otherwise a television news station is likely to have turnover quite similar to a convenience store.

Think of it this way; an employee gets a fifty cent an hour raise; which comes out to the earth shattering amount of just over 1k per year. If a station can't afford something such as that; then they deserve what they get- which is someone who could easily walk off the job to find greener partures in just about any job offer.

Just what everyones objective in life wants to be: To go to college for J&C or photography, and then get a job which has little chance of even being able to payback a student load.

Currentchief

I know, I hear you!

But, when I asked the ND for higher wages, I was told no. At least twice.

So...I have to play the hand I was dealt. With some patience, a little luck and a bit of an eye for talent, my staff is better than I found it 19 months ago.

A few of my hires have purchased homes, had babies and settled here for at least a few years. The market I work in is growing up, but management hasn't realized it yet.

It's as if the station and the upper management are teenagers in their awkward years- not really small, but not big either and not sure what it is. Growing more than 25 market sizes in 15 years, it can be hard to keep up with the changes.
This is NOT an excuse, but the reality of my world.

So, I have to attract photogs with a combination of great weather, waterside location and a good station reputation.

Again, these are the cards I was dealt and I have to play them.

Duffy

When I'm ready to retire, I'm going to send every chief in Flordia a tape. I hope you don't mind old guys with tons of experience.

Currentchief

Duffy,

I've had a few people retiring from northern markets contact me for "easy" jobs to pass the time.

All passed on the offer when they realized it would be 10-12 hour days, running their own live truck, no compensation for missed lunches or breaks, shooting VOs and VOSOTs on their own, no vacation for 6 months, no sick leave for 90 days,
no choice of story, etc. and all for $50,000/yr. less than they were making a month before.

I had one excuse himself to go the bathroom and i never saw him again.

If you want to work here, fine :D , but don't think it'll be a cushy job. Just like you, we work very hard. :mad:

My 2 cents,

CC

WV24fpspro

OOOPPS...

May want to attempt to keep that bit of information to yourself (as in); what the government doesn't know won't hurt them or you.

The thing about no compensation for missed lunches or breaks; violates at least four seperate OSHA and federal labor laws, in addition to state laws.

One is allowed to be asked to miss their break or lunch every once in a while, but if it happens more than twice a month it subjects the employer to one of the many violations listed above.

I've seen many an employer get hit by this one; the fine is very severe and automatic and not able to be appealed by any court.

Currentchief

There is pay and OT and all of the federally, state and local requirements are strictly followed when lunch or a break is missed, just not the union mandated penalties for a missed lunch.

That really got to one guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.