I have an opening, no tapes in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewsMan

Anyone interested: I am looking for work to begin the first of the year. Looking in Raleigh, Charlotte, G'Boro, Richmond and DC.
My resume is on b-roll (Dave Tate) and you can get a list of current video shot at http://www.battlefieldtourist.com. I cannot provide you with a tape until mid-December when I return to the states.

[ November 12, 2004, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: NewsMan ]

Gripper

CurrentCheif-

I am a junior at a college in Texas and I was wondering if it would be possible to send you a tape to critique as I start to develop a reel at school? I am not sure where I want to go or what I want to yet within radio and television, but I do know I want to work in news. Thank you for your help.

-Gripper.

Gripper

I'm sorry, I wanted to correct my spelling.

CurrentChief.

I am a junior at a college in Texas and I was wondering if it would be possible to send you a tape to critique as I start to develop a reel at school? I am not sure where I want to go or what I want to yet within radio and television, but I do know I want to work in news. Thank you for your help.

-Gripper.

Shaky & Blue

Originally posted by Gripper:
I'm sorry, I wanted to correct my spelling.
You can do that without reposting your entire message. Just hit the button above your message that looks like this:

You'll be taken to a page that will allow you to edit your message or delete it entirely and start over. That's one of the advantages of being registered.

PhotoOp71

I know about offering a low salary and the extreme working conditions that come along with it in the state of Florida. My station usually goes for the inexpensive photog but we have gotten lucky with the talent that we have gotten. Unfortunately they usually don't stay long.

ewink

Right now I'd take minimum wage just to get away from the snow... :p

(well, not min... but lower than most people. lol)

FastFord

We've been trying to fill a part time positon for months now...
The advertisind and hireing process for a new shooter seems to take well over a month...
Now, I hear some gossip that we have one about to bolt any time now...
Please,, Shoot me now!!!

Hey CC,

In he early 90's, I moved to Naples to get out of the rat race for awhile. By then I spent 25 years as a photojournalist. But after a few years of not shooting and being able to go where "civilians" couldn't go, I made application at WINK-TV for a staff photog job. The chief, don't recall his name, turned me down flat, saying I didn't have the "right kind" experience for the Ft. Myers market. Right kind of experience? What the He@% does that mean? I was totally blown away, given I had been a Chief Photog for 15 yrs (all in medium size markets), worked in CNN's L.A. Bureau, ABC News stringer, strong production and live work experience plus state and regional news awards. Well, it probably doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why he wouldn't hire me but I am confident my experience could have helped the entire organzation without jeordizing his position.

Oh well, we live and learn.

Rick Forester

SmlMktChief

We put out an ad 2 weeks ago, and we also, still don't have any tapes yet. the position will be open the first of April, because our new hire, as of two weeks ago, is giong to the police acadamy. I don't want to hire a newby, just because I don't have the time to train someone, and my only other photog, only has 1 year exp. If anyone wants to move to a small market, where winter is minimal...e-mail me @ dnewbold@cbs7.com. Or just reply to this post.

ken g

currentchief,
MY wife and I are fixin yo head your way sometime around April. If you may have something for an older shooter that loves the business, I'd like to talk to you.
I'll shoot and edit all day, and run studio cam at nite just to stay busy!

Eaglewolf

smlmktchief

If anyone wants to move to a small market, where winter is minimal...e-mail me @ dnewbold@cbs7.com. Or just reply to this post.
This is a great mkt. to live and win lots of awards. Anyone looking to bust from the big city and enjoy a true West Texas lifestyle, this is the place. Good schools, Good people, GREAT MEXICAN FOOD!

SmlMktChief

Hey, ken g

My company e-mail blew up and I lost all my mail from the past year. If you want to send a tape here is the address. I don't trust the company e-mail anymore.

David Newbold
KOSA-TV
4101 E. 42nd Ste J-7
Odessa, TX 79762

Rad

I haven't gotten a tape in two weeks, generally they pile-up by now. I'm guessing people just don't move as much as they used to.

Rad

svp

Two things come to mind.

1. Without video you only have radio.

2. How is one suppose to get hired when nobody will give a guy a chance unless he has at least a year's experience. I've been working in Oklahoma City for a year. I have a bachelor's degree in communications and consider myself very talented with a camera. I've had to work on my days off for the past 4 months with a photog to prove I can do the job. Unfortunetly, their are no positions open at my station. Even with a good resume reel, nobody wants to take a chance on a guy like me, even though I'm not in it for money. I moved here from Ohio and would gladly relocate just for the chance.

Originally posted by svp:
Even with a good resume reel, nobody wants to take a chance on a guy like me, even though I'm not in it for money. I moved here from Ohio and would gladly relocate just for the chance.
I'm just guessing, but it sounds like you need to aim for smaller markets. OKC isn't quite a starter market, though I think they are taking them a lot greener than they used to. If you shop that "good resume reel" around some 100+ markets, you should have your start quickly, assuming you really aren't in it for the money and will relocate. Be persistant.

SVP,
just a word of advice from a recent college grad. You should join up with TVJobs.com. When I graduated, I sent out tapes to every station that had posted jobs on there for the past 3 months. It took about a month, but I started recieving calls from almost every one I applied to. I've been working in the Ft. Myers/Naples market now for 4 months, and I came here with no experience except an internship, a bit of freelancing, and a trip to NPPA's conference in 2004. However, again I mention, no experience. I may not be as knowledgeable about the business as most of the posters on here, but the jobs are definately out there. I actually got another call 3 weeks ago from one of the tapes I sent out (and that was back in november!) So, i recommend just sending tapes all over to any station you think you might be interested in, someone will definately bite. Good luck!

Photographer

SVP.....unless you find someone who will take a chance on you without the year of experience. Look in very small markets. Many times if you show that you are looking to learn the smaller markets will be happy to have you. Or do what the poster above did. That was a great idea. The more tapes you send out the better your chances are.

Good luck.

[ April 26, 2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Photographer ]

Run 'n' Get 'em

Anyone know of any small markets w/ a big city feel that would take a fairly "green" shooter... I've shot plenty of stuff on plenty of cams (XL1, DVCPro, BetaSX) but not a lot of it is news...

Would be happy to send a tape about anywhere, Beach preferred :D

Status
Not open for further replies.