I have an opening, no tapes in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currentchief

I posted a job opening at 17 different places, but here we are 2+ weeks later and no tapes.

Not one.

I've had a few sniffs via e-mail, but no packages on my desk. We're a high 60's market, a respected station and have decent equipment. I've posted jobs at least 7 or 8 other times and always had at least 10 resume tapes come in within days.

What gives? I've tried having my photogs contact people at their last station, reviewed posted resumes, reposting jobs to get to the top of the list, all to no avail.

Ideas?

Please don't tell me to pay more. It's never been an issue before in regards to getting initial resume tapes.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

WV24fpspro

I've heard much the same from chiefs (and others) in all areas of top fifty markets as well. Unfortunatly the issue does turn back to look at the issues of pay and other career related issues. For instance; the shifts one is expected to work; with shift work, lack of weekends and holidays off, etc..

People are beginning to realize that it's not too difficult to find something in a different industry that pays more and offers more, all without the hassle of the television and communications industry.

Look at the amount of people going to (a four year) school for a degree which could be applied towards a career at a news station. The number of people in those majors are decreasing rapidly.

The numbers of people who are remaining in those majors are using degrees such as J&C not for the news industry, but rather for a corporate communications career.

Something will have to give somewhere; and it will end up having to come from the employer in order to properly retain existing quality tallent, as well as find new tallent. Employers will have to start to offer more competitive pay, better benefits, etc.. These types of programs are already in place for the on air staff; and it wouldn't put too much of a dent in ones budget to offer it to the worker bees as well.

corpvid

Too bad I Can't move to Florida! I'm looking for work in my area with no luck-nothing available here.

Lense_Cap

Originally posted by WV24fpspro:
Something will have to give somewhere; and it will end up having to come from the employer in order to properly retain existing quality tallent, as well as find new tallent. Employers will have to start to offer more competitive pay, better benefits, etc for the on air staff; and it wouldn't put too much of a dent in ones budget to offer it to the worker bees as well.
I'm not so sure WV... I think you're being a little too optimistic. What we're likely to see is more of the rising trend for stations to hire directly out of college (or heaven forbid, highschool) on the cheap and the quality of local news, with the exception of a few regions, continue to deminish. It's been happening for longer than I have been in the business. What will you be doing to attract quality tapes to your desk Currentchief? I'll take a stab in the dark and venture that you will not be able to do anything about it because your hands are tied as far as the budget goes (as are most CPs). So you'll have no choice but to scrape the bottom of the barrel and hire someone with next to zero experience and train them on the spot.

SeattleShooter

I am looking to move asap. So let me send you my tape. Don’t mind me asking, but can I send the tape and résumé to you instead of through HR? PM me your address and you will have one on your desk mid next week. I can also email you my résumé if you would like.

I am not sure if this is a reason for low responces, but what are your thoughts on hurricanes being a factor for people willing to move there?

Currentchief

I'm not sure if hurricanes are a factor as I am in the middle of it all and can't sit on the outside looking in.

I think it's safe to say that the recent weather events may have discouraged a few people, but not all. Those four hurricanes were the first ones since Andrew in '93 and Donna in '60. Odds are that we will never get a cluster of hurricanes like that again in our lifetime.

I hear what the rest of you are saying about pay, benefits, shift work, etc. and I wholeheartedly agree with them all. But 4 months ago I had an opening and I got a dozen tapes in 2 weeks. Could an entire population of potential photogs have changed their minds about the profession in 4 months? all of them...?

Look, I know that a photog works lousy hours, makes poor money and gets no respect and the potential talent pool has grown shallower in the past few years. My last hire had no experience, but she came highly reccommended and has worked out great, but in my experience, she's the exception to the rule.

We're market #68 and how big do we have to get before the b-roll consensus is that we can't hire newbies? #65? #55? #45?(newbies are great, but you get my point).

I need to and I want to find an eager, intelligent, 2 years experienced photog with a terrific attitude and I'll be happy. 5 out of my last 6 hires were just that person (#6- my poor hire- is gone) and I need one more to replace him.

My frustration level is quite high and my ND is wondering just what the Hell I'm doing to earn my massive manager's wage.

I'm venting, of course, but I need practical suggestions and solutions to my dilemma, not rhetoric on the deplorable state of the photog career track.

Any useful suggestions would be appreciated!

micaelb

I'm in a similar sized market and there are times I don't see tapes for a while then a bunch arrive. I try to keep tabs on a few people I've had contact with who expressed an interest when there wasn't an opening. I've been lucky too with people we've promoted from within. Editors, interns, the competition are all sources.
What is really frustrating is making the hire then getting the flood of good tapes.
If your days are anything like mine you're shooting packages, vo's and weather shots and setting up live shots to earn that massive(??) managers salary. It's hard to find talent with a good work ethic when you have 15 minutes a day to spend on looking.

Currentchief

Amen. I spent 6-10 hours in the field most days and I often get asked, "what have you done about (insert problem here)?

I sometimes get a "chief's day" where I get the whole day to get stuff done, but I think I've had four in 19 months.

I need about a day every other week and then I could do things that my photogs really want like tape reviews, consistent ordering of gear, getting stuff fixed, etc.

But, I knew going in it would be like this, so I guess I have no complaint coming.

Lastly when I said I made a massive manager's salary, I should have included one of these: :rolleyes:

Baltimore Shooter

Current Chief,
Micaelb has a good idea. What about hiring from within? Are there interns or editors who you've noticed work hard, do good work, are smart and have a stong work ethic who want to become a photog? Any chance of promoting from within? Just a thought.

Warren

PhotogFromFL

Currentchief is my chief, and our station doesn't allow interns, and all of our editors want to be in front of the camera or are in training to become producers.

thru-the-lens

Is there someone on the floor crew that could make the jump into shooting? That's an option to fill from within. (hopefully you aren't a parkervision station)

I also wonder if the reason you haven't recieved any tapes is because of the time of the year? Maybe no one wants to move to a new station because they have holiday plans. Starting a new job not only makes you the new person on staff and that would automatically take you out of any chance for time off for family during the holiday season.

Remember that Thanksgiving is again in the book this year so that is a negative to consider in the holiday plans.

Then there is also the cost. Consider that moving to a new city would include fees for apartment leases, utilities, cable ect... that is money that taken away for holiday gifts for family ect...

And if there are kids...dealing with enrolling in a new school district, or splitting the family up until the christmas break and moving them then????

Lots of reasons why this might not be a good time to move to a new job. Hopefully you will have better luck soon finding tapes and canidates.

thru-the-lens.

NoWay

Here in Minneapolis, one of the supposed Meccas of photogs, newbies are hired when the need arises. Usually for part-time or weekend work, but hey still have to pull the load...sometimes they do, but you get what you pay for. All of the mistakes that you're supposed to make in beginner markets are suddenly in front of an audience that's used to top of the line video and production.

So take what you can get, all that you can look for is potential sometimes, and then cross your fingers that you get someone good.

Currentchief

The thing is, this has NEVER happened before. This is my second market as a chief and I have always gotten resume tapes within days of an ad's appearance in both markets.

Time of year didn't matter- tapes still came in. Until recently, none of my photogs had kids. Most aren't married and holiday schedules seemed to matter little. We do pay up to $1,500 moving expenses, which is ok (not great, but ok). the wage is sufficient and benefits are barely there, but no one knew these things before, either.

The floor crew doesn't appear to be an option as most are high schoolers and none seem to be that alert to the world around them anyway.

Why do I have to settle for less? I managed to find experienced photogs for the last 6 openings, why not now? Holidays and hurricanes may account for a small percentage, but I can't believe it would account for all. Reporter tapes still arrive by the dozens on a daily basis and that flood of applications hasn't diminished at all.

thru-the-lens

It is good to hear that you are paying moving expenses up $1,500.

I was offering up the floor crew as an option. Sure it would be nice not to settle for less, but it was an option to be considered.

Good luck. If I hear of anybody looking I'll send them your way pronto.

thru-the-lens.

Shaky & Blue

I wonder if the hurricanes are more of a discouragement than you realize. When you pay in sunshine, foul weather would be considered a cut in salary.

WV24fpspro

Is that a typo or is it for real?

1,500 for moving expenses :eek:

The only people with moving expenses that are less than that are college students or people in the military. That 1,500 figure is a start, but is also depressing.

Just out of curiosity what type of wages (and the limited benefits) were being offered? I've noticed some of the top fifty markets are easily outgunned by the average mall job.

[ October 31, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: WV24fpspro ]

C St. SW

Originally posted by WV24fpspro:

1,500 for movig expenses :eek:

The only people with moving expenses that are less than that are college students or people in the military. That 1,500 figure is a start, but is also depressing.
Wanna bet? Try taking any government job, state OR federal. You won't get a dime for relocation in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.