C300 vs. PMW400

Starman

Robin,

I have had several clients who demand HDX900/DVCPro tape and I have had to rent a camera. You can buy used HDX900 for 4-$6,000 on the used market. I already have a nice 2/3" lens and batteries, so not a huge investment on my part. If I sell my P2 Varicam for the lowest at $16,500, I will still have a good chunk of change left over to save up for an F5. HDX900 is still accepted by a majority of clients and it is still popular in a lot of circles, whether it's broadcast or corporate. I can also use my Atomos Samurai with it and have a tapeless system with a tape backup. Fuji and other manufactures will continue making tape so I don't think it's going away anytime soon.

Robin

sure sounds ok.. if you have the work for it.. I still have mine.. but only one show that I use it on.. thats how i found out pana stopped making the tapes !!

B&H have a $19,500 "kit" for the F5.. but then you would need another $5,000 for the B4 lens adaptor ..

If you have work for it.. sound s a plan..

Run&Gun

Were you told Panny has or is in the process of discontinuing the tapes for the 900? Tape Resources still has the Panasonic medium sized 66 tapes listed.

Robin

This was in Tokyo.. and I was told that Panasonic is no longer making tapes for the 900.. didnt ask about varicam.. but Fuji and maxwell are still making them..

Have to admit i didnt verify their claim.. but they had supplied tapes for the last 4 yrs or so.. and it did seem to make sense if I was a pana share holder :)..

I presume there are still a few ware houses full.. and most likely in the US.. !!

Robin

Robin,

I have had several clients who demand HDX900/DVCPro tape and I have had to rent a camera. You can buy used HDX900 for 4-$6,000 on the used market. I already have a nice 2/3" lens and batteries, so not a huge investment on my part. If I sell my P2 Varicam for the lowest at $16,500, I will still have a good chunk of change left over to save up for an F5. HDX900 is still accepted by a majority of clients and it is still popular in a lot of circles, whether it's broadcast or corporate. I can also use my Atomos Samurai with it and have a tapeless system with a tape backup. Fuji and other manufactures will continue making tape so I don't think it's going away anytime soon.
Have you found a HDX900 yet.. ? just thought I could sell you mine with a nano flash cards and remote cable.. ? only used 10 days this year..

Starman

Robin, it looks like my Varicam has sold. If this person actually sends me payment, I will be looking for an HDX900. Let me know what you have available, Just PM me. thanks

2000lux

Right now I own a C300, but eventually I want to replace it with an F5. The C300 is just too popular right now in my area. It's like the DVX100. I hated working with that camera. It was slow to work with, the screen and the EVF aren't sharp enough for good or quick focus. The iris wheel was in a clumsy spot so whenever I changed positions, the exposure got changed. However, it made pretty pictures (for its time and price) and shot 24P, so everyone wanted to use it. I don't like the ergonomics of the C300, but its the camera du jour that all the producers want to work with, so I feel I'm stuck with it for now. More people around me are buying the F5/F55, so hopefully its just a matter of time.

In the mean time, I bought a Zacuto C-Shooter shoulder rig for hand held work which has helped. It moves the grip forward on rails so that you can still use the functions, but the camera sits on (near) your shoulder. I use the screen as my viewfinder. I avoided the Erector Sets (rigs with rails and such) for years. Eventually though it became a necessity.

I just put the order in for my PMW 400, but am already planning to in 2 years or so buy a F-55 or whatever replaces it. I am not seeing enough need for 4k or 35mm work with my current client base to justify it. And am hopping the price on glass comes down a bit in the interim.

Starman

Geoff, you are making a wise move. I think that the PMW400 will fit nicely in the circle that we run in.