XLR to RJ-11 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypoms

I know my boss custom made (or had our engineers custom make) them for us...

It should be relativly straight forward - just keep the pins lined up...

SamG

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to extend a telephone line using a mic cable for the extension?

Are you plugging a feed on an XLR cable into a specific device? The device's manufacturer should be able to hook you up with the adaptor.

Are you trying to get the phone signal to plug into your camera instead of a mic? Can't do it with just a cable adaptor. You want a "Telecoupler".

W

<western electric>

These may do what you need them to do:

Tecnec Audio interface

Phone-Jack adaptor. HK-116M (RJ11 female to XLR-male. HK-116F (RJ11 female to XLR-female)

They go for $29.95 each. They're on page 136 of the TecNec 2005 catalog. ProSource sells their stuff. 203-335-2000

David R. Busse

We probably have six sets of them and use the hell out of 'em 4-5 times a year in our big satellite truck. I think they came from Markertek.

Good example of usage: sporting events. Truck's parked in SNG/ENG truck "pen" and you have 100 feet of audio/video cable pulled from truck to breakout box connecting you to the field, pressbox, whatever.

You ordered hard line phones and the drops are at the breakout panel (common). Or you HAVEN'T ordered hard lines, cell phones are dropping out all over the place and you've managed to bum a couple of spare phone lines from the engineer-in-charge of the ESPN truck. You (a) use the two spare audio lines in your cable run to the box or (b) pull a second siamese line over to the phone drops or to the production truck, slap on your RJ-11 to XLR adapters, hook into the phones, then do the same on your truck's end of the cable to plug into your truck's I/O panel.

Bottom line: you carry hundreds of feet of xlr audio cable on a sat truck. Best to carry adapters (that fit in the side pockets of a Domke bag) and use it as a phone line in a pinch, instead of having to carry a zillion feet of phone line for those 4-5 times a year when you need to extend phone lines.

satpimp

GKC Audio Implements... maker of telephone interface and IFB gear sells them in a very robust package of various lengths. They are how ever pretty straightforward to make if you still have trouble. Just google GKC Audio Implements and you'll get a good site with prices on all the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.