XDCam question: try again on a different thread.

your boy

what happened to XDCam 24frame for $699?
everywhere I look its 4500 dollars, didn't they drop the price?

damn you sony.

your boy

There was a time that, according to people on this site and creative cow, Sony dropped the price of the 24 frame upgrade for the PDW-700 to $699 because of back lash over the 800.

When I went to buy it this week it is back around $4500. What happened? Does anyone know?

Is this a clear statement and question?

acton

I thought it was a short term solution to the shortage of 800's. I remember seeing something about a limited time on it. A crap load of gear was heading to the Olympics, my guess is that once that was over they jacked it up. Although I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. I do remember the back lash, over the feature not being available. It sucks, cause people took the plunge buying into the 700's and they popped out the 800 a short time later. I'd go back to your retailer and ask them WTF. They should be able to get you a better deal than $4500 if they want to keep you as a customer. Unless you bought it used, then I have a feeling you're on your own.

Barry

Last edited:

Douglas

people took the plunge buying into the 700's and they popped out the F800 a short time later.
That was the main reason for the temporary discount. They wanted to let disgruntled early 700 owners upgrade at a reasonable cost. Sony didn't have to do it, but it was a nice gesture. I mean anyone who couldn't see the writing on the wall that a brother to the 700 was coming soon isn't paying attention to how Sony releases new cameras.

If you had one of those early 700s and you didn't take the chance to upgrade when the offer was made, too bad. You missed the boat.

On the other hand, if you bought a 700 AFTER the F800 was announced, then you made your choice to save some $$ and get a lesser camera with fewer features. If you have to pay $4500 to get 24P, you're still well under what an F800 would have cost. You should have known what 24P would cost before you bought the camera.

your boy

I got my 700 in December of '08. Thanks for the answer. I just have never had a call for it, until this week. If it was $699 I would buy it, for $4500 I'll rent.

Douglas

For $699 you should have taken the upgrade even if you didn't think you'd need it. The resale value of your 700 would have gone up much more than the $699 cost.
As Barry says, check with your dealer. If you did have the camera before the F800 was announced (can't remember that date) then maybe they can go to bat for you with Sony. It's worth checking.

your boy

Thanks. Yes, I would have bought it if I didn't assume it was going to stay at that price. But after 250 jobs and no need for it, it wasn't at the top of my list.

zac love

For $699 you should have taken the upgrade even if you didn't think you'd need it. The resale value of your 700 would have gone up much more than the $699 cost.
I'd think this depends on how long you own it & what cameras are released in the future. I've seen D600s go unsold on ebay for around the price that it used to cost to rent them.

A good mic will probably still be in use 20 years from now, but I don't see cameras with moving parts to be in wide usage in 10 years. In my mind, cameras, cars & computers are the things that lose their value the quickest. They are investments that will make you money when you use them for work, but will lose you money if you're focused on selling them.

Douglas

Is your post serious? Are we really going to waste time with this?

I'm not talking about selling a PDW-700 in 10 years. I'm talking about selling it in 4-5 years when I can assure you it will still be a valuable camera. Show me the professional shooter who currently owns a PDW-700 who will still be using that camera 10 years from now? People working at that level of production do not keep a camera for 10 years, or they wouldn't be working at that level for very long.

The F800/700 are at the pinnacle of ENG/EFP cameras and you are unlikely to see anything that will knock them off that perch anytime soon. What else can Sony or anyone else do better? The cameras are nearly perfect. Perhaps a hgher bit-rate might be nice, or more fps for slower slow-mo, but there's not much else you could do to improve an F800/700.

Missing out on a 24P upgrade for $699 when it normally costs $4500 is big mistake no matter how you cut it.

zac love

My point is that I wouldn't be too confident that a PDW700 w/ 24p would sell for over $700 more than a PDW700 w/o 24p in 2015. (I even more doubt you'd ever see a $4,500 investment turn into profit just through re-sale.)

Maybe it is just the economy driving used prices down, but I'm seeing camera prices cliff dive after a couple years on the market. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like par for the course now is 4-5 years on the market, one newer generation released & down in re-sale value by 50-75%.

Right now there is a F350 on ebay for a buy-it-now price less than the cost of a new EX1R.

The F800/700 are at the pinnacle of ENG/EFP cameras and you are unlikely to see anything that will knock them off that perch anytime soon. What else can Sony or anyone else do better? The cameras are nearly perfect. Perhaps a hgher bit-rate might be nice, or more fps for slower slow-mo, but there's not much else you could do to improve an F800/700.
Camera companies make money by selling new cameras, so they'll probably find away to make something new that people will want to buy. You're right with the higher bit rate, h264 or flash media, all of those can be "fixed" by a Nano Flash or Ki Pro mini.

But higher fps, 3D & larger chips are the three things that the F800/700 could easily be threatened by.

Probably these cameras will get their rightful life span, but I think current owners need to keep an eye out for networks to hop fully onto the next bandwagon when the next new camera comes out, be it 3D, large chips (shallow DOF), or ... ?

Last edited:

your boy

Got it for $699... Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Told that their will be a price reduction after the first of the year but not $699, lucky me.