What would you do?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

<whereSCOOP>

I have been thinking a lot about things and the way my life has been going and I had some questions. Recently I have seen a lot of bitching about how much we get paid and/or how we are not respected. I feel it as much as anyone! My question is if you could do any other job, that is realistic and you could actually do, what would you do other then working in television.

Some of the jobs that interest me is fabrication and autobody/paint. I cant ever see myself working 9 to 5 behind a desk rotting my brain. So anything that involves creativity is what I love. Its just that I still consider myself young (23) and just in the beginning of my photography career. At this time I am feeling really burnt out dealing with the micromanagement and all the other crap that is flung around my job. The art seems to be gone and my passion is fading to fast.

So I pose the question...what would you do other then TV?

Thanks!

ES: What happend to SCOOP (aka: fallingSCCOPnews, stopSCOOPnow, brakingSCOOPnow, etc?)

M

<Mi3ke>

Architech or Public Planning.

As for ScOOp..don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer of.

Cheers, mi3ke

Cambot Mk. II

I briefly considered a life in trucking. The hours are about the same, the scenery always changes, and I wouldn't have to have to haul a reporter along if I didn't want to. :p

Seriously though, I have thought about going back to school and pursuing a purely academic degree... Either biology or history or education, all of which I enjoy anyway. My girlfriend is close to getting her master's degree in biology and I've learned a lot from just watching and listening to her. (Who knew spider-hunting could be so much fun?)

If I were to consider a different career in television, it would be in public television. I learned to read partly because of Sesame Street and I remember watching Cosmos in '83 with my dad. (I'll bet I was the only 5-year-old in the country who knew who Carl Sagan was!) I tape Nova religiously and I even enjoy that Scientific American show with Alan Alda. I personally believe that public broadcasting is the last bastion of excellent broadcast photojournalism. I don't see much flavor of the week reporting when I turn on Frontline unless the flavor turns out to be war.

Don't get me wrong... I enjoy what I do now, but I wish I was free from the endless stream of mindless VoSots and allowed to practice photojournalism the way I was trained... To use pictures to tell stories and not just illustrate them. I can't tell you how long it feels since I shot a decent photoessay.

Right now, I'm just like a superhero, except without powers or motivation! UGH!

Originally posted by <whereSCOOP>:
ES: What happend to SCOOP (aka: fallingSCCOPnews, stopSCOOPnow, brakingSCOOPnow, etc?)
Please do not conjure Bill Conduit, AKA Scoop, from the hell to which he has been banished. It took much effort to get rid of him, and simply speaking of him may bring him back.

O

<other_options>

I went to work on a degree in Architecture with the intent being that after I retired from television, I would get a job with a firm in it's entertainment division designing broadcast stations, theatres, production houses and the like. I had to put it on hold because I met a girl that became my wife and now she is an architect. I plan on finishing at some point but it's hard to go back now that I'm established in in the business again.

A

<Areosmith>

Auto customizing looks apealing to me, as does somthing with compueters, (web desighn and the like)... If I had a place in my aria for it, I also like to be a Drag Queen.. (quite a contast of intrest hu?) :eek:
What was that Mi3ke said about asking agian?

A

<Ahh>

Originally posted by <Areosmith>:
Auto customizing looks apealing to me, as does somthing with compueters, (web desighn and the like)... If I had a place in my aria for it, I also like to be a Drag Queen.. (quite a contast of intrest hu?) :eek:
What was that Mi3ke said about asking agian?
Lets drop the SCOOP thing. That is what he is talking about.

thru-the-lens

All I really want to do is win the lottery. It may be an unrealistic dream. But, its my dream. Dammit. :)

If I am unfortunately not going to win the lottery, maybe I could produce a video tape or dvd to sell on tv. Do you think anyone would want to buy a video called: "GIRLS GONE BOWLING?" :eek:

thru-the-lens.

"Racing is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting? --Steve McQueen.

thru-the-lens

Oh no! Now you're telling me that "Girls Gone Bowling" been done by Columbine in Real Cancun. :(

NOW, I have NO dicernable job skills to move on to. Damn that TV news! :mad:

BUT, I still have my dream of winning the lottery! :)

thru-the-lens.
(maybe I'll become a race car driver? That would be cool. Watch out Paul Tracy here I come!)

"Racing is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." --Steve McQueen

M

<moogster>

I would be a Gigalo...oops already am with the reporter babes!

B

<buzz>

I would hone my guitar skills and grab a drummer, a bass player and hit the bricks as a musician. All you need is some friends in other cities to start it up, and a little cash doesn't hurt either.

But seriously, shooting is what I always wanted to do. Ever since I was a kid. I thought I'd be rich and the coolest one on the block, well The money isn't there, but at least I'm cool. I got that going for me which is nice.

I do make enough cash to entertain myself. I make it a point to travel somewhere for one week a year, be with my family back home for one week a year and take a couple side trips here and there once in a while. Traveling does wonders for one's constitution.

I'm reminded of a couple sayings my dad (the all time pep talk champion, my first chief was a close second)used to tell me:

1) Do what you want, money will follow.
2) Don't sweat the small stuff.

Words to live by.

photogguy

Originally posted by Shaky & Blue:
Law school. I want to sue people who piss me off.
Do you really have that kind of time, suing people who piss you off? Wouldn't that be a full-time thing?

:D ;) :p

punky cameraman

law school

but i don't want to sue people who piss me off.

i want to specialize in suing attorneys for malpractice.

and yes, i'm dead serious

eating sharks

wouldn’t that be fun?

my first associate would represent spouses
suing attorneys for divorce

my thinking is that those jerks don't get sued
enough personally

E

<ELVEZ>

wrenching on muscle cars, i would have to learn quite a bit....or be a Ramone!

S

<Speedless Graphic>

I've tried a number of other jobs over the years.
Worked as a spook in the army, a hand on a cattle ranch in North Dakota, drove a semi and even did some work as a traveling salesman. No matter what I did I alsways had this restlesness whenever I wasn't taking pictures of some kind.
Once you're a photographer that's usually it. You could make more dough sitting in a cube some place or maybe work your way up to store manager at a WalMart or some crap like that but face it bubby, once you are a photographer you will probably never be happy doing anything else.
Dig out an old W. Eugene Smith book or Peter Gowland if you are in really bad shape and rekindle the spirit.
I've got 30 years in this biz under my belt now. You youngsters think you can escape, HA! If you can read this you are following too close...

Status
Not open for further replies.