What format does NBC network shoot?

Starman

I am currently shooting on HPX370 P2, 1080p or 720p. I also have a Z1U, which is 1080i only.

I figured it out myself, and discovered that P2 is the format of choice for NBC

Last edited:

lsyoung

Staff Network Crews usually shoot to HDCam on F900's. Freelancers tend to shoot on DVCPro HD - usually a HDX900. Some P2 - but not much unless all footage is being feed back to NYC.

I do not know what Format the O&O crews use.

timinky

4 days ago, they used my 4:3 BetaSP, desperate for a press conference hit.
Dusted it off, pulled tape and fed later. Upconverted to air, looked fine.
Who'd a thunk it!

cheers!

Starman

O and O's use P2.
Staff Network Crews usually shoot to HDCam on F900's. Freelancers tend to shoot on DVCPro HD - usually a HDX900. Some P2 - but not much unless all footage is being feed back to NYC.

I do not know what Format the O&O crews use.

Tv Shooter

NBC Network crews use F900's with a nanoflash. Dateline uses HDX900 and HDcam. At this point, there are no plans to deviate from this. That comes from a NBC staffer I work with.

The network OMB's have been using Sony V1U's, and another smaller Sony camera.

NBC Network does not use P2.

Run&Gun

Did a multi-cam shoot a few days ago and the staff shooter shot on an F-900R(tape, no nano that I saw). The producer had a Sony handycam. They wanted 1080i so Cameradude shot with his HDX-900 and I shot with my P2 Vari. He handed in tapes, I handed over a hard drive. There were also some POV cams used and that footage was dumped to a HDD for them, as well. There was another NBC staffer there, as well, shooting for a different show and he travels with a NEXTO.

First time I had seen an F-900 in a while.

lsyoung

Interesting - maybe the Mid-West crew found a way to get to get a NEXTO - haven't seen this on the East Coast - nor have I seen ANY network staff crew outside of FOX using solid state recording of any type - NO Nano flash, No P2. Field Producers (Have seen this in the Northeast and Europe) WILL use HDV Recorders (Not sure if it's V1U's or other similar Small Cam-Corder).

In an emergency - the Nets will TAKE ANYTHING that can shoot a picture, up-link and get the footage on air. I also noticed a Friend working for a Major Network in Kabul using a Z7U to go live with - Saw this on his facebook page (Video).

Run&Gun

The staffer we shot with was from NY and the other NBC staffer that was there for another outlet is Atlanta based. So, all East Coast guys.

Tv Shooter

Run...must have been Dwaine. He has a nano, they don't use it all the time. The Miami guy has a Nano as well.

lsyoung

Interesting that a Few Staffers have gotten Nano's from what you say - I commented based on my experience in the Northeast - where the Staffers only shoot tape.

Some of them may have been able to wrangle a Nano - but as Richard Campbell pointed out they probably do not use them much.

Run&Gun

Run...must have been Dwaine. He has a nano, they don't use it all the time. The Miami guy has a Nano as well.
Yes it was. In fact it was a mini GTT reunion of sorts. Lol. My sound guy that day was a former apprentice/sound guy for Skip and Tom was down there shooting for someone else, as well.

Berkeley Shooter

Worked on the new Rock Center show last week with my HDX900, they had asked if I could bring a 5D. I was told they're shooting mostly on F3's. Today I got a call from another NBC show wanting to shoot on XDCam. For CNBC its' still 4:3 betacam. But mostly I shoot HDX900 to tape or SDI out for live shots.

2mancrew

at 30 Rock this week

some of the Peacock Productions shows shooting stuff for MSNBC and NBC Network shoot HDX-900 DVCProHDEX (1080/60i is requested) but the producers have to place an order to have the tapes dubbed to HDCAM before they can edit inside 30 Rock.
3 days later the dubs are done and then the editors have to digitize in real time.
Apparently they are getting XDCAM VTRs (to also allow cameramen to shoot F-700/F-800 XDCAM HD) .

Sometimes NBC Network staffers in NYC use a Nanoflash also while rolling HDCAM tape when using the F-900/R cameras. Staff cameramen have been trained to use Nanoflash but post have had issues with files /framerates, etc. so always still rolling HDCAM tape.

Rock Center is shooting HDX-900 & Sony F-3 (so they obviously take files on a harddrive for the F-3) but it's on a per-producer basis and not just a assignment desk across the board type of thing.

Apparently editors at NBC Network are also resistive to not using HDCAM tape. Maybe it's so they can watch all the footage as it's digitized in real time.