Web Cams

TheChief

Is anyone out there using webcams for newsgathering? I have a few laptops that go out with aircards and then send back video live. How many other stations are utilizing this?

JoeyO38

Sounds like a producers dream come true: Reporters can log, write, and go live from the same machine? Who needs photographers and live trucks... and quality for that matter?

Lost in Alaska

We have a laptop with a usb webcam that we can do basic shots from. This has been usefull here in Spokane with all the snow. We have been able to get another angle to the streets stories.

Astocker

The cable news channels use this a lot. Looks like crap but if you can't get a truck there, crap is better than nothing.

couryhouse

webcams at master control.

When I am remote master control at laptop I use a logitech 4000 sometimes as talking head cam.

Be careful to which cam you use... there are soe that will hose your system.

Make sue it is wdm complainant... how to test? fire up windows movie maker or the media encoder and use it as an in source... if it works you are in!

for web it is fine.... for a 46 HD it will look not so good!

couryhouse

let me add this.....

as panny gs-19 gs-35 or one of the other sd camcorders wit firewire look great! much better than web cam and they have nice zoom lenses and ok mics... the gs 35 takes an external mike so you can get fancy...

couryhouse

SVP! Thanks for the report!

Today we streamed the 2009 mayor's state of the city... also Mike Bidwell of az cardnals ownership fame spoke. I had a little audio prob at first... I went from the mult box mike level out to xlr to 1/8 and had noise! I caught it yanked the cable (gritted my teeth and managed not to sound like an entire chorus line of sailors cursing) and went to on cam mike ( was close to speakers so i did not sound too bad... teach me to show up late rely on other peoples lashups with out properly checking it....)

I was running to a panny gs-35

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/8/l_eb08be8daf064396bcf190fec3cbb809.jpg

and had the hd1000 at the back of the room shooting hdv....

I had chosen it this way as I thought I would have to put the little panny and skinny tripod on top of a food serving tray on one of those X stands they use in conference halls.

HA! did not want to trust the hd1000 and heavy tripod on the food serving tray....

got some nice footage from the hd1000! too!

the panny footage was nice also I ran a tape as well as using it as a streaming feeder!

Last edited:

Yingdog

we haven't really used web cams much yet, but we did use a cell phone that routed into the switcher that we could call up live. that has kind of gone by the wayside because when we used it (about a year ago) the technology wasn't quite there, and the delay was huge, and you needed a second phone for ifb and mic. one reporter was trying to use it and it got to be a little much for her to report in one phone and hold the other for picture. not to mention the nd that was spearheading this concept left the company. but now, with web cam and internet connections over cell phone getting better, i could see htis coming up again.