Video white levels too high on export??? FCP

tvwcyj

We are sending video via the internet in our bureau... When the story makes air, the video is washed out. I am digitizing video via firewire then exporting a file using the Export "Using Quicktime Converstion" I'm using the Lan/Intranet default settings. The quality of the video is fine, the issue is when it makes air it is washed out.. I have troubleshot it down to the file... any ideas?

If I'm missing some info that could help with an idea please let me know!

thanks

TexasDave

Are they too high in FCP? Do you have the "Excess Luma" feature on? Make sure you use the vectorscope to be sure the white levels aren't too high before you export.

tvwcyj

I don't have Compressor, and Excess Luma feature? Where do I find that?

And everything looks fine in FCP

TexasDave

Here's a thread that just talked about it...

http://www.b-roll.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23032

If you see a yellow triangle with an explanation point, it's too hot. Or look it in vectorscope and if you see white levels above 90%, apply the color corrector 3-way filter and drop the blacks to 0, and raise the whites to 90 - and that should be acceptable contrast settings.

Or you can apply the broadcast safe filter which will automatically drop the white levels to an acceptable level.

tvwcyj

actually I just realized... I have Final Cut Express! I'm guessing I'm missing some features. I'm going to try to use the Broadcast filter

Necktie Boy

I read somewhere that the Broadcast filter doesn't really do anything. I believe it was an user group.

TexasDave

I've noticed that the broadcast filter has helped. I had some footage (I didn't shoot it) of a conference, and the speaker would walk around giving the lecture, occasionally pausing in front of the projector.

Well, that video was horrible and those projector shots were way too hot. I would use the broadcast safe filter, and I could see the whites drop into an acceptable range.

I use the filter regularly.