video patch panel cables

photogguy

Guys,

As we're setting up our new studio and control room on campus, we're using the old video patch panels. A question has come up that I don't really know the answer to.

Are the cables used in the patch panels specific to the manufacturer of the panel?

The reason I ask this is because I want to buy a video patch cable-to-bnc cable, for troubleshooting, and before I spend the 15-20 dollars on a cable, I'd like to know there's a better than average chance the patch cables are standard across manufacturers.

Thanks.

SamG

Two things...

1) Depending on how old your patch panels are, they may not work if you ever decide to go HD. We moved into a new building in '99. All new patch panels. We had SD & analog signals. In 2007 we upgraded to HD. We had to upgrade any patch panels that we wanted to push HD through. Even if you're only doing SD, you might want to consider getting panels that will work in the future.

2) I *THINK* you can get cables from different manufacturers, but make sure they're the correct size. Even a single manufacturer (ADC, Bittree, etc) will have different size jacks. IMHO, a better option is to buy a single patch cable, cut it in half, and put BNCs on yourself. Bingo, you now have to patch to BNC adaptors.

couryhouse

all depends... and if it is 50 ohm connectors toss it

all depends...yes no maybe and sometimes! and if it is 50 ohm connectors toss it!

need to know mfrs and part # will try to help

be advised many 50 ohn panels were used with 50 ohn bmcs but stuck on 75 ohn coax...

Was ok at SD sucks at HD Will totally blow chunks of green snot at 3 gig SDI.

give me more details and helps if I have lonks to the mfr and parts
love this stuff..... have been an engineer since childhood.

Guys,

As we're setting up our new studio and control room on campus, we're using the old video patch panels. A question has come up that I don't really know the answer to.

Are the cables used in the patch panels specific to the manufacturer of the panel?

The reason I ask this is because I want to buy a video patch cable-to-bnc cable, for troubleshooting, and before I spend the 15-20 dollars on a cable, I'd like to know there's a better than average chance the patch cables are standard across manufacturers.

Thanks.