The "blown out" look.

BluesCam

I have noticed a ton of TV series shows have really embraced the blown out window and background look. It is kind of distracting and a bit hard on these old eyes of mine. :>)

cameragod

I know what you mean. Used to be I could live with 2 stops over in the background if it didn't distract or had a purpose to the story, but now there seems to be a lot more blown out shots and a some even blooming around the edge of the interviewee... for no apparent reason.

svp

I've had a few requests for that look lately. Give the client what they want as long as the check clears. Its their show.

Run&Gun

Shot a series of sit-downs yesterday and the day before one of the producers told me he wanted the lockers/background "blown out"/"washed out". I hate producers, directors, etc. that DO NOT know what they are asking for. He really wanted the background out-of-focus/very shallow-depth-of-field look. Ranks pretty close to directors that ask you to "pan down" or "pan up". *Sigh*...

svp

Shot a series of sit-downs yesterday and the day before one of the producers told me he wanted the lockers/background "blown out"/"washed out". I hate producers, directors, etc. that DO NOT know what they are asking for. He really wanted the background out-of-focus/very shallow-depth-of-field look. Ranks pretty close to directors that ask you to "pan down" or "pan up". *Sigh*...
Which brings up a good point that you always need to get those requests on the record meaning written in an email or, if its a phone call, record the conversation so that you are covered in case you end up with one of these people who have no idea what they are talking about. If I get a request to have the background "blown/washed out" then that's what I'm going to do. They need to know the difference before making a request because I can't read minds.

BluesCam

I noticed that trend again in NCIS, Mysteries of Laura, and Criminal Minds. It's starting look cliched. I guess they are going a moody look because you can't see many of the facial features. Remember the old adage that the eye is attracted to the brightest part of the picture? Those blown out windows with no detail actually hurt my eyes. Once in a while is fine, that's life, but when it is over used on purpose... :>)

Run&Gun

I've also been noticing the 'blown out' person look, lately. You know, like the key is too bright and the subjects have 'overexposed hotspots'. Your initial reaction when you see these shots is probably that the shooter doesn't know how to light, but so many times now, this is being done in post. I just saw one of my interviews destroyed on national television this week by just such an effect. It really pisses you off when you go through the trouble of properly lighting and exposing an interview only to have it end up on-air looking like it was shot and lit by an incompetent boob.

BluesCam

Yeah, that really xxxxx. I had a short film in a competition one time and when they projected it in the theater everything was over exposed, and not just my piece, everyone's. I asked the projectionist if he had calibrated the projector, he said no. How nice.

BluesCam

Oh yeah, one other thing that tickles me is when you see a scene where one person's cu is shot with a soft look and the others are not.

Capt. Slo-mo

For a while, there was a female correspondent at one of the big network news magazine who had her reversal shots in interviews shot through about a 20X fog filter, while the interview subject was sharp and clear.

I was amazed that they let that stand. But on the other hand, there is also a national political reporter who has it in his contract that the camera during stand-ups must always be above eye level. Go figure.