Stupid question _ condensation in the lens elemnts

Wheatstone Bridge

You would think that I would know the answer to this but anyhow :

A friend is overseas covering a hurricane and there is water / condensation buildup in the internal elements of the lens. How is the best / quickest way to fix this problem ?

Thanks.

cyndygreen1

I used to carry a small hair dryer and set it on cool for fogging in the lens. Depending on how bad it it that may be a quick fix. Was in a snowstorm once where water got into the lens and that took the engineering department and a few days.

cameragod

After a shoot in the rain, back in the days before LED lights, we used to set up a redhead, well under the lens to dry it out.

I used to carry a small hair dryer and set it on cool for fogging in the lens. Depending on how bad it it that may be a quick fix. Was in a snowstorm once where water got into the lens and that took the engineering department and a few days.
This is really the problem Is it really water getting in ie leakage or is it condensation. good lenses are supposed to be sealed units. A little bit of condensation that goes away quickly like when you take it from a cold car to a humid environment can happen. But if the original poster is talking about outside water getting in than that may not clear on its own (think terrarium) in the worst case it could mean a service call to clear up salt or similar deposits from the inside of the glass. Or a multi week drying out cycle (happened to a friend in Thailand).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2267504/The-sealed-bottle-garden-thriving-40-years-fresh-air-water.html

Wheatstone Bridge

Okay , a friend said that the quickest / best way to get rid of this internal lens condensation is to spot a (frezzi light , etc) at a 45 degree angle into the lens . . . . does this make any sense at all ?

I have heard of that also the variation where you shoot into the sun. I personally wouldn't use either method as that lens is going straight down the lens to your chips. what is a bigger issue is when the lens elements are all in the forward position. If you look closely at the first couple of elements they can in some cases be stacked toward the front of the lens. If you back off on the zoom and separate those lens elements than it will clear a lot quicker.

SamG

Aside from the heat (hair dryer, light, whatever), you can also try exercising the zoom. I was working a football broadcast one time and a lens had a big moisture spot in it. The truck EIC suggested the cam op shoot into the sun and keep zooming all the way in and out.

I'm guessing it was a combination of things, but it worked.

Run&Gun

If you're gonna try pointing a bright light, either turn the cam off and completely close the iris (to C) or remove the lens from the camera.