Sports Photographer

bshot44

I'm looking for some advice on going full-time as a sports photographer. I've been a sports anchor/reporter/photographer for over 10 years and I'm getting a little burned out on the on-air aspect of the business. I do still really enjoy shooting sporting events, though. I think I'm pretty good at it (been awarded the last two years for it.) I'm more than willing to submit some of my work to anyone willing/wanting to take a look.

Basically, I don't know much about getting a sports photog position. Not sure if those are being eliminated with today's economy? I've only ever applied for on-air jobs.

Any help/advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!!!!

shootist

PRO user
I've worked as Sports Photographer at 4 stations. The first station....I was hired as a GA shooter and put on nights and weekends. Those, btw, are the prime sports shifts and I became the de facto "Sports Photographer". Two shooters on each shift and I always did sports.

The next gig, I was hired as a news photog. My sixth day there, they sent me out of town to cover the NFC Championship. I won over the Sports Director with content and effort and became the "Sports Photographer".

Next two stations were out of state moves where I was hired as Sports Photographer.

At my current station, changes took place and eventually, they eliminated the position I was hired for. That actually turned out to be a great thing for me. I moved to M-F but was still "first out of the bullpen" for the big sports stories. Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, Olympics, NCAA tournaments. Optional OT on nights and weekends instead of on-shift.

Those all were quite a while ago but the point is...there are a couple of ways to become a FT Sports Photographer.

I don't know about smaller markets...but in medium-large markets, the positions are getting rare...openings are rarer...and in some cities, whole sports departments are going away.

I don't actively search the job sites anymore, but I don't remember the last time I saw a "Sports Photographer" opening.

My best advice is find a city/station you want to work and get a job. THEN work the sports angle through quality/effort/consistency. If you get the position...great. If they eliminate it....at least you're not in some hell-hole that only had one thing going for it.

grinner

More often than not, the reels that come accross my desk are made from elements the person who sent it in has done, not highlighting what it is they want to be doing. I understand this as much of the time a reel is made with what is available in the pile of experience. It took me a decade or so to see this was the way to get gigs or jobs but not the best way to get to a destination of choice.
By that, if you don't have enough great sports shots to make a great sports reel, get and and get to shootin' for this very purpose. Be thinking of where you ant to be then send that specialized reel to those specific places. Tenacity is your friend. While you may be tempted to compromise out of intimidation, don't. You've already had jobs that were not ideal for you. You can maintain an income outside of the industry that pays more while chasing the job that is ideal for you.
Many of us are programmed to take what is available. As you have learned... those end up being temporary positions for dream-chasers and artists.

JimmyS.

... those end up being temporary positions for dream-chasers and artists.
Whats wrong with being a dream-chaser or an artist? I have been both my entire life. Yeah, I don't shoot news the way most of you do anymore, but on all my shoots I am thinking art... I am chasing a dream.
I started out in junior high drawing pictures of my fellow students, teachers, the buildings. I ended up with a camera. Calling me a dream-chaser or an artist, like that's an insult or something I should be ashamed of? Maybe Dog was right... Maybe you should read before you post.

grinner

Nothing (I hope).
Being a dream-chaser and an artist is what's kept me such a grinner through the years.
If I wern't a dream-chaser and an artist, I'd probably still be shootin' in small town Texas, making hundreds of thousands a year less than I do now, most likely single, bored, and unhappy.
I'm saying don't settle for jobs ya don't want. Be brave... go for it.

As a former Sports Photographer in Atlanta, I can tell you that you'll be asked to do more than just shoot. I wasn't on-air, but I had to produce shows along with shooting stories and fronted a lot of stories by myself.
My old station just recently phased out the Sports Department completely. If there is a Sports story they want to cover it gets covered off of the desk. That is the direction a lot of stations are going right now...at least with photographers.

Wishing you good luck in your search,

Phil

bshot44

Thanks to all the replies. I know sports departments are being phased out across the country. I don't have any problem going on-air or fronting pieces (or one-man banding if necessary)...I've done that for 10+ years.

Not sure if any of you have any suggestions/advice on maybe sports shooting outside of affiliate TV. Say, like, ESPN/FSN, NFL Films/Network, etc.

I basically love sports and want to stay around it....but just not entirely in love with the on-air aspect of it anymore. I think I'm a talented shooter and thought I'd try this avenue to see what was out there.

Thanks again....

And I'd love to post some stuff for critique. I'll work on getting some stuff up on the site soon. I'd love to hear feedback from guys/gals that have experience shooting sports. I'm always looking to improve or try different techniques.

Thanks!!!