Rosenblum: "Any idiot can shoot good basic video."

Baltimore Shooter

While we're at it, Any idiot can be a Consultant, all you need is a business card and a cell phone. You don't even need to be knowledgeable about the subject you're consulting on.

Warren

San Diego's Youngest VJs

Rosenblum is his own worst enemy. Using words like "idiot" just makes him sound like one.

He should have said that any elementary school student can shoot good video. I know. I watched one being shot, edited and played for my son's fifth grade class. It was a farewell video for the teacher with bites, b-roll and effects. And it was the equal of a lot of what currently passes for TV news feature packages. Oh, and it was also shot and produced by one person, a fifth grade girl in the class.

And it was done in one day. And there was not one word of help offered, or asked for, by the student who did the project. And no, she is not that special, this is being done every day all over the world.

The reporter in that KGTV story is right and she'll probably have a job a lot longer because of it. Good or bad, right or wrong, idiot or genius, it's reality.

photogguy

"Any idiot can shoot good basic video."

He's essentially correct. However, its the experience of a talented shooter that can, and should, make a newscast visually interesting. Knowing when to shoot, what to shoot, what angle of the shot, what kind of lighting (if at all) should be used, and more!

It's this kind of experience that is being pissed away by tv stations across the country.

You want to make your newscast stand out from the crowd? Start with good shooting, not basic shooting.

eb

Any idiot can cut you with a knife. But you're not going to have them perform surgery on you.

Any idiot can do almost any thing....it's true. Certainly, they "can" shoot good, basic video. There's nothing wrong with that statement.

What qualifies as good basic video? I think any idiot could point the camera and capture good basic "content." Viewers want and watch content. But they also see craft, creativity, and commitment.....which isn't something an idiot is going to bring to the operating table. Content is king. And Content providers are expanding as fast as the next person (idiot or otherwise) who buys a digital camera and uploads content to a website. Exponentially growing. These videos are all competing with each other. Whether it comes from a citizen, or from a local TV news department. Content wins. But at some point viewers with high definition big screens are not going to want to waste their time on low quality craftsmanship, creativity or commitment anymore. Professionals need to fight and win on all the playing fields, not just the "content" field. We need to compete and win with quality craft, creativity and commitment.

The competition for viewers is just starting to heat up. If there are 100 similar websites/television outlets providing the same content, and only 1 providing high quality craftsmanship, creativity and commitment, which would you watch? Currently, most local TV stations all look the same, provide the same exact content, and pretty much the same quality. Once viewers start to recognize the differences.... then their choices become easier to make. I think the only way low quality providers can survive... is if they provide niche content on a small scale. I am not sure local news qualifies as "niche" content.

Last edited:

Wideangle

The man who considers himself the father of video journalism, not surprisingly, thinks Curlee is out of touch.

"If you think you need years of training to shoot video for local news, you have not been watching local news," said consultant Michael Rosenblum by e-mail from Europe. "Any idiot can shoot good basic video."

Rosenblum, who developed video journalism in Sweden about 20 years ago, said he can teach someone how to shoot and edit video --- along with "basic storytelling" skills -- in about five days.

RANDY DOTINGA voiceofsandiego.org

This is like Al Gore saying he invented the internet. The line that really makes me laugh is about inventing this 20 years ago in Sweden. Newsflash! we had them 30 years ago in the US, they called them "one-man bands". I guess it's like anything else, if you say it enough, people will believe it. PT Barnum school of journalism....putting out Vidiots by the boatload.

Chicago Dog

Why are we still talking about this coward?

Seriously: we've already proven him to be an lying, unethical, immoral jackass. There's no point to discussing this tool anymore.

He gets his jollies off of topics he's mentioned in. God only knows how much Vaseline he burns through when he sees his name written into a thread topic.

Please let it go!

newz

The dumbing down of local news (and America) continues. Led by the dumbest of them all. Thanks, Mike, you are one of the reasons local news is dying.

verdantFOX

Dog (Oh my God I can't believe I'm saying this.) is right. We've been over this ground so many times, let's go onto something else.

krazycamera

My head STILL hurts. Let's change the channel.

Can we have a large pharmaceutical company invent a pill that makes these threads go away - I'm even boring myself now. The future was three to five years ago and I'm sure it's not been televised yet...

Buck

Any idiot can cut you with a knife. But you're not going to have them perform surgery on you.

Any idiot can do almost any thing....it's true. Certainly, they "can" shoot good, basic video. There's nothing wrong with that statement.

What qualifies as good basic video? I think any idiot could point the camera and capture good basic "content." Viewers want and watch content. But they also see craft, creativity, and commitment.....which isn't something an idiot is going to bring to the operating table. Content is king. And Content providers are expanding as fast as the next person (idiot or otherwise) who buys a digital camera and uploads content to a website. Exponentially growing. These videos are all competing with each other. Whether it comes from a citizen, or from a local TV news department. Content wins. But at some point viewers with high definition big screens are not going to want to waste their time on low quality craftsmanship, creativity or commitment anymore. Professionals need to fight and win on all the playing fields, not just the "content" field. We need to compete and win with quality craft, creativity and commitment.

The competition for viewers is just starting to heat up. If there are 100 similar websites/television outlets providing the same content, and only 1 providing high quality craftsmanship, creativity and commitment, which would you watch? Currently, most local TV stations all look the same, provide the same exact content, and pretty much the same quality. Once viewers start to recognize the differences.... then their choices become easier to make. I think the only way low quality providers can survive... is if they provide niche content on a small scale. I am not sure local news qualifies as "niche" content.
Allow me to answer for Mr. Rosenblum,

"Blah blah youtube video, billions of hits...blah..blah European tv....yadda yadda...gone the way of printing presses...left behind...flip cams...Travel Channel vj...no one knew about one man bands before I told them about it....drivel drivel...revolution, game changing...KRON, WKRN...bankrupt...not my fault they didn't follow my plan..."

Brock Samson

Every profession has different levels of aptitude. That is, somewhere in some town is the world's greatest garbage man.

This dude can gather trash and dispose of it better and faster than any other garbage man on the face of the Earth. I can haul a couple of trash bags to the curb, but I don't have the tools or the know-how to do it efficiently or well on a mass level.

Somewhere is the world's best fry cook. This cat can flip those burgers like nobody's business, and damn they're oh so tasty. I can grill some pretty good burgers, but I don't have the tools or the know-how to do it well on a mass level.

Somewhere is the world's best fighter. Maybe it's some Shaolin monk who lives on top of a mountain and punches the hell out of trees all day. I've taken some classes and been in some scraps in my younger days, but if I went up against Mr. Shaolin tree puncher I'd get destroyed. Why? Because that's what he does. Every. Day.

I don't think it takes a genius to realize that the average Joe is not going to be as good at a given task as someone who does it every day. That's just plain old common sense, something you learn in Kindergarden.

zac love

I wonder how many photog's cardiologist hate when their patient hears / reads "Rosenblum." Or maybe cardiologists love that since we can keep cool in fires, floods, storms, police chases, courtroom hallways, crime scenes, etc. there is at least one thing that gets our blood pressure unhealthily through the roof.

Seriously, is it worth it to keep talking about MR?

Nino

I dedicated my life for the advancement and rightful compensation of this profession and resent anyone that refers to me being part of some sort of idiocy. What bothers even more of the self centered arrogant egotistical no talented individual who made this comment is that he doesn't even try to apology.

Having said all this Rosenblum might be up to something here, if "any idiot can produce good basic video" then anyone who can't even produce basic good video doesn't even qualify to be an idiot?