On board encoder box?

I am wondering if I can tweak my work flow - I'm finding that I shoot in multiple formats, and then face possible hours of compression and conversion while the client waits for delivery of clips.

Can anyone tell me of the current state of play with an external recorder attached to the camera? I am not up to date on what is available and which devices have proved their worth.

My various cameras still span across digibeta, P2, BetaSP, DV-Cam - so I'd prefer to find a device that has multiple inputs, perhaps even including SDI. It may be that there is no one device for all the possible signal formats.

I've also learned that FireWire is not a safe bet, due to the lack of locking connectors. Does anyone routinely record live to FireWire and have comments about this?

Last week I had one event requiring asap delivery in flash video - it took my older laptop over 5 hours to encode 41 mins of P2 SD to .flv

Even with a new, and much faster laptop, I'm thinking that I need to find another way - to perhaps try to get some of the crunching done during the shoot. Or will this in the end not accomplish anything?

Grant.