NPPA names new TV Quarterly Contest Chairs

micaelb

This is from NPPA President Tony Overman:

"NPPA is proud to announce that Scott Jensen of KTUU-TV in Anchorage has been named the new chair of the Television Quarterly Clip Contest. Merry Murray of KSNW-TV in Wichita has agreed to be the co-chair.

A huge thank you to both for offering their services.

Tony Overman
NPPA President"

Todd Rogenthien

Scott will do well. The members of the NPPA owe him and Merry a great thank you. Both are hard working volunteers. Sometimes I wonder how Merry does it and Scott just keeps giving and giving. The contest is in great hands!

On another note, Tony, I can't find this announcement on nppa.org. The quarterly contest page still lists a vacancy. This is a far cry from board members being concerned about posting NPPA related matters on B-Roll and not the NPPA website. I resigned partly because my practice of posting to B-Roll came under scrutiny and you turn around and do the same thing? Makes no sense.

Todd Rogenthien

1911A1

On another note, Tony, I can't find this announcement on nppa.org. The quarterly contest page still lists a vacancy. This is a far cry from board members being concerned about posting NPPA related matters on B-Roll and not the NPPA website. I resigned partly because my practice of posting to B-Roll came under scrutiny and you turn around and do the same thing? Makes no sense.

Todd Rogenthien

It surely doesn't.

micaelb

First, Tony didn't post this here. It's news, I wanted to get the word out and this is a good place to put news. I didn't mean to start a debate.

Second, the contest was in good hands with Todd and Brad. It's still in good hands with Scott and Merry.

Tdomi74

Scott will do well. The members of the NPPA owe him and Merry a great thank you. Both are hard working volunteers. Sometimes I wonder how Merry does it and Scott just keeps giving and giving. The contest is in great hands!

Todd Rogenthien
The TVQCC is in good hands with Scott and Merry. They will do a fine job picking it up and moving forward with the contest. So too those that enter the clip contest. You haven't anything to worry about for the transition will be seamless.

Micheal, I know you were only trying to pass along the news to everyone. But I'd have to agree with Todd, why not post it on NPPA message board first and then on here? Hence that is one of the reasons that myself and Todd resigned as chairs.

Maybe this is just another examaple of how long it takes news like this to be posted onto the NPPA website? Unlike on B-Roll it only takes a press of a button and it's out to the masses.

thru-the-lens

nppa board needs to wake up

Maybe this is just another examaple of how long it takes news like this to be posted onto the NPPA website? Unlike on B-Roll it only takes a press of a button and it's out to the masses.

Amen! Does the nppa even have a full time web master? And the Region8. org has like no updated TV info. in years.

thru-the-lens.

AB

michael b

I know you weren't looking to start a debate, but it does raise some good questions.

I'm guessing Todd and Brad have a small ax to grind after their resignations to the clip contest. Even factoring that in, they bring up a decent point.

I just checked the NPPA website and there is no update for this.

Now is it the end of the world? Of course not.

But what bothers me is this trend of the organization not seeming to offer enough to the television side of things. (Sorry, this is probably information for another thread).

I'm not an internet guru, but it should be the primary focus for the NPPA to deliver its information. The future is here and it seems as if the NPPA has not embraced it.

"B-roll.net" does not speak for the world of television photographers. I think some of the people who regularly post here assume "every" telelvision photographer frequents the site.

But, it has created a unique venue for video photographers which frankly is a better venue for immediate information than the NPPA.

There are so many things the web could do for the NPPA. Monthly video segments could be posted with tips on lighting, editing, live truck safety, how to start up freelancing, you name it.

Why not put the monthly columns in the magazine on-line in a video forum? (Like I said, probably the wrong thread).

So to end this long thought, to me posting that message here while it's nowhere to be found on the NPPA site is becoming a troubling trend.

Todd Rogenthien

No axe to grind here. I said everything I had to say to Tony Overman, Linda Epstein, Pete Soby and Kurt Austin.

My practices of posting TVQCC results to B-Roll because nppa.org became too slow, were questioned behind my back by members of the NPPA board. Region 3 a.d. Linda Epstein told me to stop. So why is another board member posting NPPA info here and not on nppa.org. It blows my mind.

What's good for the goose....

Last edited:

Tdomi74

AB:
I too have no ax to grind with the NPPA. Just like yourself I owe a lot to the NPPA for where am at in my career. If I did have an ax to grind, I could go on and on but that won't do me or the the NPPA any good. Ditto to the above post.

AB

Maybe we have different definitions

Micheal, I know you were only trying to pass along the news to everyone. But I'd have to agree with Todd, why not post it on NPPA message board first and then on here? Hence that is one of the reasons that myself and Todd resigned as chairs.

Maybe this is just another examaple of how long it takes news like this to be posted onto the NPPA website?

First off, I agree with your sentiments and others you have posted in the past about the NPPA.

But you have recently resigned from a volunteer position you took pride in. Now you've posted the above on a forum that is viewed by many anonymous folk in your profession.

Sounds to me like you're taking a jab at the NPPA for not being timely with their website. In fact you say a disagreement about that issue was one of your reasons for resigning.

Once again, I agree with your points.

Posting it here for others to see however does imply that while you may not be Paul Bunyon, there is an axe to grind.

Doesn't make it wrong, but it is what it is.

r.manuel

i think somewhere along the way someone should, oh... i don't know, say thanks to Todd and Brad for all their time and energy volunteering for that thankless task. Thanks guys!

AB

i think somewhere along the way someone should, oh... i don't know, say thanks to Todd and Brad for all their time and energy volunteering for that thankless task. Thanks guys!
Agreed, thanks to both. Didn't mean to lose that fact while hassling over semantics.

Brad also was the R6 director for most of that same time too.

Last edited:

Todd Rogenthien

Andy,

I do feel the membership needs to know how some members of the board act. If they say one thing and do the opposite, what does that say? They're they guys and gals in charge of the money and decision making. If I detailed some of what was said about the contest, now that would be grinding an axe.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am about the least confrontational person in the world. I don't go looking for trouble.

And to R. Manuel, it was a pleasure to serve. I wish I could have continued.

mknisely

Todd,
Glad you gave back, some merely talk about it, or complain about it. You and Brad tried to change things. I understand everything you're saying and have hope things will get better. I served on the board for almost 6 years in Region 7 and 10 and know of what you speak of. Is the organization flawed? What organization is not? To me the NPPA is more than a contest and know you feel the same.

Scotty and I had time to talk in Portland and he is the right person for this job at this time - to take the baton and further things where you left off. I thank you for your service - hope the TV side can the get attention needed to grow the organization further. I will still be a member - no matter the cost - it has forged relationships, friendships, educated me beyond what I could get in Academia, and I would not be were I'm at today if it were not for the NPPA.

SAwood

Yes, thanks to EVERYONE who helps judge, on thier own time, and everyone who participates in the contest and with NPPA. Special thanks to Tood, Merry, Brad, Scott, and all current and ex-board members who toil on free time to further the cause of NPPA.

Freddie Mercury

Yes, thanks to EVERYONE who helps judge, on thier own time, and everyone who participates in the contest and with NPPA. Special thanks to Tood, Merry, Brad, Scott, and all current and ex-board members who toil on free time to further the cause of NPPA.
Tood would say "You're Welcome", but he's coppin' a 'tude. ;)