Need Help with audio/PD150

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todio

I am a professional Soundman, been doing this for 15 years but this is a new one on me. I have a client who is shooting on a Sony PD150. We went out to shoot an interview and it all sounded fine to me (wired Tram to Shure FP32, two lines to camera, monitoring 100% of the time from the camera return) but the client calls the next day asking for a refund because the audio is "dropping out" and "unusable". He claims it sounds like there was a loose connection. Can this be if I didn't hear drop outs or loose connections on the return line? Is it possible that the monitoring of the PD150 is _after_ the pre-amps but _before_ the recording circutry? If so, could there have been a problem with the camera that I wouldn't have been unaware of? Has anyone experienced problems like this? What can I tell this guy, short of "Well, it sounded fine to me." which sounds pretty lame...

Any "Bench Techs" out there...??

Anyone...?

Bueller...??

cameragod

I do know there is an impedance compatibility issue with SQN mixers and PD150. It may be the same with the Shure. Sounds good going in but bad in post. You need to get a box that knocks back the mixers impedance to toy non-professional levels. Of course the other way to fix it is with a real camera :)

joecam147

Todio, isn't the PD-150 great ! You've encountered the dark secret of the PD-150. You won't find this in the manual but it is my understanding that if your levels even approach 0db you get exactly what you got, No Audio! Digital can be very unforgiving when it comes to audio and if you do not set your levels up to -20 db and they happen to peak out over 0 db you are $crewed, the audio just goes away. What do you want for a $3000 camera ? Although I have never experienced this phenomenon, I have been warned and have heard several people complain about this very problem.
The solution ? Sony did come out with the PD-170 for a reason, this is probably one, the other option is to not bet your dayrate on a toy and make sure your using a real camera next time.

Hess

PRO user
Hey Todio,

Make sure your client is using the proper deck to view his/her tape in.
If it's shot on DV or something like like it, make sure the client's not playing it back in DVCPro.
Make sure the playback deck is compatibale to the recorded format.

Just trying to help.

Hes

Baltimore Shooter

I'm still using (and trusting) my Sony 600, you still can't beat Beta SP. Unless of course, you're doing Digi Beta or HD Cam. So I'm courious, has anyone experienced anything like this audio drop out on the Beta SX, Mpeg IMX, DVC Pro, or other professional cameras?
Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.