NBC Bad Journalism Practices

Humbuck

I just got done with a very long cold day covering the plane crash here in NYC. I don't feel I can go home without getting this off my chest.

I jumped into the middle of a pack of people interviewing one of the passengers. There were at least two NBC (I saw their NBC ID's on their necks)pukes trying to get the passenger through the crowd of press to a car waiting to whisk them all off to God knows where. I asked them why they were trying to kidnap the guy and they said that they wanted to "interview him". Wow! You don't say? What the hell are the rest of us doing with mics and cameras? Why would the rest of us want to interview the passenger? I've encountered this before with NBC net pukes who tell people not to speak to other media or steal the people involved in the story. Look, it's one thing to get an exclusive becuase you were in the right place and the right time, but to tell people what to do or not do is ridiculous!!! I've worked in local before where local affils would pull the same crap. Enough is enough.

eb

Imagine if every member of the media did the same thing. Grab a witness. Quick.

Another question enters my mind...

but who really cares.

Run&Gun

A little different, but I used to know a reporter(oddly enough at an NBC affiliate) who used to ask people that if they didn't talk to him, then not to talk to "his competition". No one likes to lose an interview or get scooped, but I always used to cringe and wanna slap him when I heard that. People can talk to, or not talk to, whoever the hell they want to...

But back to the good... Thank God that everyone survived. Amazing, absolutely amazing. Incredible job by the pilot, co-pilot and crew. Great still pics from the AP. Good coverage by CNN. I actually had a host/reporter texting a lot of us after the news broke making sure that none of us or anyone we work with was on the flight.

Once again, amazing on all accounts...

Astocker

Welcome to the world of the network booker. And they all do it, by the way. I could tell you stories that'd make you puke. It's embarrassing and disgusting. But for each person in the field doing that, there are 3 bosses back at the studio screaming to "get them or find another job!"

Yeah, network is real glamorous.

MtnShooter

I watched that scrum. The guy was wearing just a T-shirt and pants (and a hat) and it was freezing cold out. I kept wondering why none of those reporters who were so concerned about him offered to give him a jacket or something. They just kept him bunched up in the scrum. There was no doubt he was enjoying the attention, however.

Humbuck

Actually, one of the NBC pukes kept insisting that the guy wear his jacket. Aside from blocking shots, they wanted to ensure he knew how "concerned" they were. I know the whole deal about people screaming back at the the ranch to get whatever they want. These are the same people who never leave the office. I know I work for them, but I put my foot down when I think what they're asking for is unethical. I get in trouble and get passed up for promotion, but this isn't the first place I've ever worked and sure as hell wont be the last. We all need to tell the screamers where to stick it or else they'll continue to have the power they do.

eb

... but I put my foot down when I think what they're asking for is unethical. I get in trouble and get passed up for promotion, but this isn't the first place I've ever worked and sure as hell wont be the last. We all need to tell the screamers where to stick it or else they'll continue to have the power they do.
Unethical? ;) So what do you think can or will ever be done? By whom? There is nothing stopping it.
Now that the networks aren't the only "players" in the media, you will likely see a lot more of this type of "competitive" behavior in the future.

Hiding Interviewees

This has been going on for a long time. A few years ago we were covering a school shooting and GMA had grabbed the shooter's girlfriend and stashed her in an apartment complex across from the school. Our producer nosed around, spotted a couple girls about the right age asked them and found the apartment. We hung out for an hour and they finally came out on a 7-11 run. We got a quick interview that was interrupted by the GMA producer who ran up and told us she had an "exclusive." We laughed as our guy told her it wasn't going to be as exclusive as she thought.

nparsons

reading these stories of how producers and house cats act really erks me. Makes me glad to not be in the big leagues, but stay in the comfortable Triple A...

Really shows no care for the story or the people, but rather the ratings.

AKinDC

reading these stories of how producers and house cats act really erks me. Makes me glad to not be in the big leagues, but stay in the comfortable Triple A...

Really shows no care for the story or the people, but rather the ratings.
All they care about is the ratings? Shocking!
How does it show they don't care about the story or the people though?
Isn't the story going be told better with a single interviewer in a location where it can be well lit and well shot than in the middle of a giant scrum with a dozen people throwing out questions and trying to see who can get their gigantic mic flag closer to his face?
Isn't the person being interviewed going to be better off in that situation?
If you don't like the competitive nature of news, that's your business. But for some of the posters to call the nets unethical because they have to balls to try and get the best exclusive interviews is just silly.

ian515

This has been going on for a long time. A few years ago we were covering a school shooting and GMA had grabbed the shooter's girlfriend and stashed her in an apartment complex across from the school. Our producer nosed around, spotted a couple girls about the right age asked them and found the apartment. We hung out for an hour and they finally came out on a 7-11 run. We got a quick interview that was interrupted by the GMA producer who ran up and told us she had an "exclusive." We laughed as our guy told her it wasn't going to be as exclusive as she thought.
I had a similar experience at the bridge collapse in MN. GMA was guarding someone who was in a car when it collapsed, I just asked them (the victim) for an interview and they were cool about it GMA tried to stop it but there wasnt much they could do then.

I also had BBC physicaly grab my camera and move it out of the way so they could take my live shot position. luckily I was 100ft away at the sat truck and saw it on the monitor. that was an interesting battle.

Run&Gun

I also had BBC physicaly grab my camera and move it out of the way so they could take my live shot position. luckily I was 100ft away at the sat truck and saw it on the monitor. that was an interesting battle.
I will try to work with people all day long, but if someone grabs my camera and moves it after I was there first, especially if I'm there way in advance for a known event to make sure I get a good spot, then there's gonna be trouble. Some people think that no one else matters except them and some people just don't know how to play well with others. I'm not saying that I haven't been given preferential treatment when shooting network, but I'm not gonna move someone else's sticks/camera if they were in a spot before me, unless they took my designated spot.

Horonto

A little OT. During the rescue on Wednesday afternoon I don't recall seeing any TV chopper shots. Were they grounded?

eb

Getting an interview is one thing. Asking someone to sit down for an interview is smart, if you have the staff, time and resources. Networks do. That's their job.

I didn't want to get into the compensation question... That is where ethics can be debated. In an expanding competitive media world... pay for play will become more prevalent I think. I am not sure there is anything or anyone stopping the payment or compensation.... to people for news interviews...

Last edited:

code20photog

A little OT. During the rescue on Wednesday afternoon I don't recall seeing any TV chopper shots. Were they grounded?
I saw some choppper stuff just moments after the crash. Maybe a TFR once everyone got on the same page, but I believe it was WCBS with some really early footage from the chopper.