National Parks Pass

SandRat

Don't know if there's anyone here who cares, but when I renewed my NPS Pass the ranger said I had good timing because the price of the annual pass was going up. Right now it's $50 and he wouldn't say what the '07 price would be. For me, these things save a lot of money...in las vegas, we're within a four hour drive from more than five national parks and they come in handy. There's even a shortcut through utah that takes you through Zion National Park, but for a $15 park fee, it can add up. Plus, it pays for itself if you visit 3 or more NP's per year.

Baltimore Shooter

Yeah, I want to explore more of Death Valley next time I'm out west. Red Rocks just outside of Vegas is great too, not sure if it's a national park or state park though.

Warren

Douglas

I just renewed mine in September. I hope the rate increase benefits the parks and not the general budget- then I agree with it. $50 has been quite a bargain when a day pass is over $20.

Doug

newz

Yeah, I want to explore more of Death Valley next time I'm out west. Red Rocks just outside of Vegas is great too, not sure if it's a national park or state park though.

Warren
Red Rocks is a National Conservation Area run by the Bureau of Land Management. National Park passes are welcome.

SandRat

I hope your kidding ... if not, go visit an area in the west that isn't regulated by some agency, state or federal. You'll see why $50 is worth it. I'd pay more if it were guaranteed to help fund the parks I visit.

what a crock, having to pay $50 to see America

newz

I hope your kidding ... if not, go visit an area in the west that isn't regulated by some agency, state or federal. You'll see why $50 is worth it. I'd pay more if it were guaranteed to help fund the parks I visit.
DAMN STRAIGHT BROTHER!!! America ain't strip malls and burger joints. Get out there and see it!

Grip

"America ain't strip malls and burger joints."

no, it's strip joints and burger malls

*warning*you might feel kind of foolish after reading this**

yeah I have spent plenty of time out west. What do you get for your fifty bucks? How much does it cost to keep a tree standing?

Seriously, why the hell do I need a 700,000$ handicap bathroom at the base of a hiking trail.

Or even better, in your big tourist trap national parks, why are all the real money makers private??? or done on hundred year leases? The one thing like a hotel or lodge that could generate revenue for the park, they give away??

fukc that, I am done paying to hike or camp in wild America. Almost every National Park has back roads into them, use them for free.

Or I could pay like a rube, and that way there is plenty of money so people can hook up their RV and get cable, and we have nice even black top carved through the forest. All so they can watch Matlock.

Oh yeah, I am going to pay for wilderness, bwaaa

I would pay to see some of the heads of the NPS to be strung up and lynched on some of those expensive trees. But after that, paying is for suckers.

Yeah I am going to pay to keep a tree standing, or better yet I am going to pay to have some NPS schmuck sell off bioprospecting rights of the National Parks http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/44654/
well hell, they already sold off logging rights to
our land

So if it is our land, why do I need to pay?

Not trying to be rude, but if your vision of wilderness is a national park, you must be looking through a handicam.

SandRat

Good, at least when I'm looking for the solitude I need to keep my sanity, I won't run into Grip.

newz

uhh....After reading Grip's take on National Parks, I think Teddy Roosevelt must be turning in his grave! The whole point of the National Park System is to make parks available to...Aw forget it! My breath is wasted on Grip.

Grip

He is turning in his grave because he respected the land. He wanted it wild. And why give Roosevelt all the credit?, it was Lincoln who first started protecting land.

How is the point of National Parks making them available to everyone? That is just plain stupid. Are you going to make the lakes available to people that can't swim? what are you going to do, drain them?

Oh that's right we need wheel chair ramps up every mountain.

And every Cactus should have bubble wrap to protect the children.

And if we can't afford to "make them" available to everyone, then no one should be able to use them..... yeah buddy that is a great idea.

They are already way too overcrowded, good luck finding your solitude when the RV parked next to you on the black top camp ground is blasting his Matlock.

You are completely missing the point of 'wild' land. You can't put Disney mouse ears on a Elk, and you can't keep things wild while making them gentle for the feeble.

And how could you 'so called' outdoorsman not be outraged by the idea of bioprospecting.

So you go pay your $50 like a rube, support the people who are destroying what you are seeking. Mean while I will enjoy wilderness and solitude that is beyond your imagination.

SandRat

How is the point of National Parks making them available to everyone? That is just plain stupid. Are you going to make the lakes available to people that can't swim? what are you going to do, drain them?

Oh that's right we need wheel chair ramps up every mountain.

And every Cactus should have bubble wrap to protect the children.
I'm not sure I've been to this park. Sounds like one to avoid though.

By the way, if you are interested in finding places around Las Vegas that aren't littered with Corona bottles, covered with gang graffiti or full of giant RV's, drop me a PM and I'll fwd a bunch stuff. There are places around here that would be some states' most proud geographic feature if they were east of the Rockies.

INLANDNEWS

I'm not sure I've been to this park. Sounds like one to avoid though.

By the way, if you are interested in finding places around Las Vegas that aren't littered with Corona bottles, covered with gang graffiti or full of giant RV's, drop me a PM and I'll fwd a bunch stuff. There are places around here that would be some states' most proud geographic feature if they were east of the Rockies.
Is there a slot machine at the visitor center? Sorry I had to ask!