LiveU SmartGrip

Run&Gun

Too bad this planet wasn't wiped clean at the end of 2012... Yeah, we'd all be dead, but at least we wouldn't be having this crap rammed down our throats.

At the scene

Isn't it amazing that with the latest technology we have, cameras, video, televisions in high definition have never looked better yet we continue to produce crap with inferior equipment. From cell phone video to live boxes. It's like TV news stations are trying to produce crap. I just don't understand it, I can remember when a TV station would not accept VHS home video of a fire or car crash because it was not broadcast quality or mostly because it was poorly shot. ( I know, I know TV stations don't make the revenue they used to so they have to cut cost) I call bull****!!!

It's so sad to be around to watch the destruction of TV news. I watch as young journalist today do it all but the catch is they don't do it well. My local news is unwatchable as well as my local newspaper and websites. I'm sure my little part of the country is not the only one.

Lensmith

They all mistakenly believe they can save themselves into prosperity...instead of simply making a good product people would want to watch.

Tv Shooter

I wonder how soon till the 1st Smart Grip gets ripped out of the hands of a reporter at a story. The righteous indignation will follow as we get inundated with "poor reporter gets phone stolen on air" stories.

Run&Gun

According to the specs it only does SD anyway.
Hell, I don't think the powers that be at the stations or nets care if it is B&W. All they care about is if it will let them do it faster and CHEAPER.

I agree with At The Scene, it's just dumbfounding that we have such incredible display technology-dirt cheap LARGE HD TV's and 4K TV's- available to us at the consumer level, but the picture quality(both technical and aesthetic) of what we distribute to them now is absolute garbage that wouldn't have flown 20 years ago.

prosheditor

At first glance, I thought it was only a broadcast stick to conveniently hold a recording device while shooting content all in one integrated unit. But for the reporter to shoot their own standup as a norm is going to be ridiculous and amateurish if not done during a truly breaking moment when a shaky, unlevel frame and auto iris is temporarily forgiven.

I've noticed the leading station in my area's home market using their iToys to shoot quick OTFs while the truck operator finds a place to park & break out the ENG camera. They are superfunded and have ALL the right tools so this shortcut is indicative of what's to come if they're doing this. I've also noticed the subtle but annoying strobic-type corrections when the phone's EIS is trying to stabilize the handheld video.

A local cop told me that a reporter held a phone too close to his face and he didn't appreciate that being done to him recently. It looked really bad on the air too.

If the action is something that will be missed while waiting on the ENG package, then I think phone or tablet video, live or later is acceptable to capture it. This is in-the-moment, news field video we're talking about, not in controlled produced conditions. It is also the near future whether we like it or not. But to use it just because it's new, cool, cheap and it exists would be foolish but it will happen for those reasons.

. . . I just don't understand it, I can remember when a TV station would not accept VHS home video of a fire or car crash because it was not broadcast quality or mostly because it was poorly shot. . . .
Yep, other than obvious exceptions such as dramatic and exclusive content, I wish those terms would return. It actually gave the new generation, like myself, something to accomplish by getting past that wall of quality expectations. Now, not only can anbody submit content, it's free.

They all mistakenly believe they can save themselves into prosperity...instead of simply making a good product people would want to watch.
There's no mistake to it. That's exactly what and why it's done. And enough people are watching and accepting it, which is even more disturbing.

According to the specs it only does SD anyway.
That's just what they have released. Like everything else, the new & improved model is in final testing or already finished and is being packaged for marketing & sale to be announced at or before the next NAB, etc.. All young microwave and SAT truck operators looking to make that their career should be looking at another position or find another profession.

Hell, I don't think the powers that be at the stations or nets care if it is B&W. All they care about is if it will let them do it faster and CHEAPER. . . .
Yep.

Last edited: