James & John Tar Heel Traveler

bluffton

It's not a Race

;)First off I enjoyed the story, but for two guys just waving from a porch, I feel like I am out of breath.:confused: You could have served these two slow pokes better by letting some ambient nat simmer. I wouldn't microwave a pot roast the first time out, I would use a kettle, dutch oven, or a crock pot.

Here's my point. I never heard the squeaking of the chair on the deck, a sniffle, birds, hand hitting the chair. I needed a chance to catch my breath.

Here's what I like, you proved visually what I didn't feel emotionally by showing the county line, them separated by a few feet, cars, trucks, zoom zoom, finding out they're brothers. Just slow me down at some point.

:eek:This may feel Like I'm ripping you, but this story is wonderful, andI really wanted to hear the chair on the floor and not feel so rushed. :D

Cheers
-Anthony Mirones

NEWSSHOOTER3

Reax

Again, I'm envious of the franchise, but I digress...

I would have liked to see some reax from drivers, if possible, and (nit picking) the reax from the dog seemed "jumpy" with next shot. As in, the dog disappeared in the next shot from where he should be?

Anyway, I LOVED the piece because it brought me into the moment, flowed nearly seamlessly, and was perfect for the franchise!

AB

This was brought up in another one of these franchise pieces from your station (I don't remember if you shot it or not).

You're off a bit with the reporters cadence, the rythym of the piece. This is more an editing critique than a shooting critique.

I agree with "Bluffton", it was just a bit too fast, I would have liked to see the shots have an extra breath.

I'll make a guess here, but you were probably pressed for time, meaning the total run time of the piece and you had a lot of good shots and sequences. So you wanted to make sure they all got in there. It's a good feeling when you get all your shots in there, but sometimes if they are forced, it can take away from the flow of a story.

I believe "Nino" said it in an earlier thread, if you have time, watch a story with the volume turned down and see how the pictures flow. If they seem too quick, chances are they will be that way to the viewer even with sound. I've done it and wondered why I was editing at such a fast pace.

Of course sometimes it will be a quick paced story that approach wont work for. But in general I think it's a good technique.

We often get so involved with a piece in the edit bay that we lose sight of the overall flow. It can be painful, but sometimes you have to leave that great shot, sequence on the edit room floor for the sake of the story.

Overall it's a nice story, just a bit too fast paced for me on this one.

CarBennly

I believe "Nino" said it in an earlier thread, if you have time, watch a story with the volume turned down and see how the pictures flow. If they seem too quick, chances are they will be that way to the viewer even with sound. I've done it and wondered why I was editing at such a fast pace.
That's great advice! Thank you. I don't think I would have thought to do that.

I thinks it fantastic people can bounce ideas off one another here!

much appreciated!!

John M.

While I agree with the thoughts that the pace was too quick for the subject, I don't know if I can fault the photographer for attempting to disguise the fact that his reporter did not give him a story.

This is the second piece from that franchise posted here in recent weeks and neither of them had even a whiff of a story from subjects that could have been full of them.

In this package we learn nothing more than what a still photograph with a caption could have told us.

What a shame, too. I was immediately curious about why these two ole boys sit outside watching the world go by and gained absolutely zero insight into who they are or what they're about.

Or was it supposed to be news that they have new cars and big rigs in eastern North Carolina?