Interview b-roll

Hello all, long time no post. After reading the posts on forum participation, I figured that I would log in and pose a question to you camera jockeys, with the hope of sparking some constructive discussion. This is mostly directed at ENG shooters, but of course all are welcome to contribute!

Scenario: You're in the field shooting an interview with your journalist, the interview questions have wrapped up and you're given the signal to grab some b-roll of your interview subject.

Questions: What kind of shots do you take to make your b-roll interesting, more than simply the extreme closeup, the wideshot with the reporter, or the gesturing hands? Different angles, points of view? How do you feel about the walk-by shot? Asking the subject to jump on their computer and check e-mail?

Thanks, and happy shooting!

Latin Lens

While I tend to get "the usual" just in case...I like to go a little more artsy. If subject is outdoors (works for indoors too with plants, doorways, long tables, etc) and talking with reporter, I'll find as much foreground cover I can (tree, wall, grass, etc) to get some interesting 2-shots while keeping it in context. Macro focused two-shots at various depths can really help a piece visually...breaks up the monotony...but same rules apply about not breaking your axis. I like this technique because it can help with the "intro" of the subject that leads right into a soundbite from them...helps with the jarring edit of doing that. My 2 cents.

For cutaways, I usually go super-wide.. Or show name tags, shoot through doors, etc.

I NEVER get tights of their hands or their eyes/glasses/nose. Even our ND once commented "I dont want to see their nose!!!" to the others. It's a good eye-exercise because you're forced to think differently.

sheriff

These are some of the typical shots I'll use, and are probably no surprise, but I like to slowly pan to the subject's face from an out of focus background. I'll look for a rack focus if it's relevant. I've used the out-of-focus back of the reporters head as something to pan off to reveal the subject. I like revealing the location if I can, with tilts up, or pans providing a natural wipe point. Finally, I'll pop the wide-angle adaptor on and do a handheld wide two shot with a small movement in.

Necktie Boy

Never been a big fan of the walk and talk shoot. I know it's quick and easy. I did like the suggestions by Sheriff. I don't do it enough of inteviews only.

BluesCam

I like a wide shot with a close foreground element in it (e.g. hanging branch). If the sky is beautiful, then a tilt down reveal is nice, if you have time for it in the piece. I usually put the camera "on the deck" for a walk by shot as well.

Necktie Boy

Got me thinking....Pictures or awards of the interviewee? Just got thinking of the intro of Rear Window. Hitchcock panned across a bunch of pictures that told the viewer what Jimmy Stewart's job was.