" If " we are causing global climate change, then...

pre-set

Why has no one suggested that human activity MIGHT also be responsible for other seemingly "natural" phenomena like earthquakes, tsunamis, plate tectonics ect...

I mean, why not? Why is it perfectly reasonable today to accept that we are changing the climate through our existance, but madness to suggest that we're effecting the drift of the continents?

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

Has anyone introduced scientific proof? Or even hypothesized that this could be a reality? If not, than I think that explains why no one else has suggested such a belief.

Birdy

It's the end of the world, I'm tellin' ya!! The birth pangs... oh, the birth pangs...

patssle

I personally have a little bit of a different view on global warming
So do I. I really don't care if humans are the cause of global warming or not...we should be doing AS MUCH as we can to protect the environment ANYWAYS.

Does the world have to be threatened in order for us to actually do something??

Yes.

Lost in Alaska

Here is a new idea. Lets develop the ENTIRE world like Courisant in Star Wars. Then we don't have to worry about screwing up nature.

pre-set

Since no one has conclusivley PROVEN then that we are NOT causing continental drift, then I'd say it's time we do something about it. Afterall, like someone said, just because it might be normal doesn't mean shouldn't try to prevent it!!!!

SAVE THE EARTH!!! STOP PLATE TECTONICS!!!!!!

Baltimore Shooter

There's no such thing as global warming, Dubbya even said so. So if Dubbya said there's no such thing, then there really is no such thing as global warming. ;)

Warren

BNVN

You know, I saw this cool show on The Learning Channel about how when stars die, some of them shoot off what is called a gamma ray burst. And if one of the bursts hits the planet, were all pretty much nuked.

I just love the whole global warming debate... Global warming is caused by all the stuff we put in the atmospher right.

So, what do we do about this kind of global warming polution that is all over the atmospher?

And you know, I think the added polution from our sun along with space junk is the cause of the earth quakes due to the added weight and stress on the earths core and plates...

Jax

Why has no one suggested that human activity MIGHT also be responsible for other seemingly "natural" phenomena like earthquakes, tsunamis, plate tectonics ect...

I mean, why not? Why is it perfectly reasonable today to accept that we are changing the climate through our existance, but madness to suggest that we're effecting the drift of the continents?
Did you like how everyone just disregarded your post as being silly and went on to talk about global warming anyway?

If you don't want to believe that humans have assisted the warming of the earth, then that's fine. It doesn't change the fact that the earth is warming and we should do what we can to slow it. I just can't figure out why this is a political issue...

Buck Satan

It doesn't change the fact that the earth is warming and we should do what we can to slow it.

Why?? Why would you f#$% with something you have no understanding of? Like a bunch of imbiciles playing with a flamethrower...

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

So.....we should do absolutely nothing?

I'm quite certain there are at least a few scientists who are doing everything they can to gain a firm understanding of what all is causing it. But, are we supposed to wait until they FINALLY determine the absolute cause to react? I'd rather be proactive than be sitting around watching the ocean creep closer to the tips of my toes like I'm sitting on the beach (without actually being at the beach) and saying to myself..."Huh, guess it it's too late now."

I often wonder if it is mere skepticism that drives the denial or doubt of some people or if it is pure political persuasion.

"Why is it perfectly reasonable today to accept that we are changing the climate through our existance, but madness to suggest that we're effecting the drift of the continents?"

If you work with any scientists at all on these issues, you'll realize that they spend their ENTIRE LIVES studying, studying, studying, collecting data, analyzing data, interpreting data, debating that data. In short, lots and lots and lots of work.

Trust me, no one is just sitting around and casually "suggesting" that humans affect climate change. There is a lot of work being done. Your statement spits in the face of people doing that work. Scientists (a generic term that I hate using--- think climatologists, geologists, ect....) aren't just gonna sit around and "suggest" some "new-fangled idea". This is what happens when issues get dissolved down to 30 second stories, 5 second sound bites and some he said/she story.

"Oh, those crazy "scientists" they just come up with some crazy "theory" and send it out to the news to get us all riled up." That is wrong. If you would like to hypothesize that plate tectonics could be the result of human activity, that is fine -- go ahead. Anyone can formulate a hypothesis. Now take it out and put it up to scope with the SCIENTIFIC METHOD. Gather data, test the hypothesis, reformulate the hypothesis based on testing. Test again. Gather more information. Give your work to other scientists to review and scrutinize. Then if your hypothesis stands up to all that, you might have something.

Suggesting that this "science business" is easy work -- you just go out and "suggest" something is really awful. It would be like someone who knows nothing about the televison business coming up and pointing their finger in your face and calling you "more of the liberal media" and walking away. Why debate? There's nothing to debate. There's a liberal media and you are part of it. Forget your lifetime of work, hours of dedication and struggle with yourself to understand all these issues.

I don't mean to attack you, but I just think that your statement is painting a whole lot of people with one really wide paintbrush and if we want to talk intellgently about this issue, we can't do that. Maybe you disagree?

MM

Freddie Mercury

Considering the relatively short amount of time that global climate data has been collected, there is no way to know what the big-picture trends are and what cycles our planet goes through naturally. Those folks that MM is standing up for are making educated guesses, but they are still guesses.

The debate aside, let's say for the sake of discussion that we humans need to do something to abate global warming. Where is the greatest offense? Is it the clear-cutting of rainforests? Is it the unregulated industries of third-world nations that spew whatever they want into the atmosphere? Well, as usual the politicians want it all to land squarely on MY shoulders. It seems my car is too big and fuel hungry, I run my air conditioner too much, I buy products with too much non-biodegradable packaging, and I fart too much. In short, I am far too comfortable and something must be done.

Never mind that if I and everyone else did everything being asked of me it would not make a measurable difference thanks to all the industry and fuel burning around the world. Never mind that the Nobel Peace Prize winner can't even bring himself to live the way he wants the rest of us to. He alone, with his huge estate, frequent private plane flights, motorcades, etc. has more climatic impact on this planet than my extended family combined.

Until the real contributors to "global warming" make changes and sacrifices, I will continue to drive my SUV with a clear conscience.

patssle

Until the real contributors to "global warming" make changes and sacrifices, I will continue to drive my SUV with a clear conscience.
I agree. I've been traveling with the football team as of late...and I've had the opportunity to look out the window and observe. From the view of a plane and from the bus...our waste of electricity is ridiculous (yes-I'm actually nerdy enough to be thinking about this on a football trip). Flying over Dallas at night...wow...it might as well be daytime. Traveling on the bus at night...every business with their lights on - inside and out. Street lights. Skyscrapers lit up.

Business and government are the wasteful ones. Not individuals.

Satan says....

"Why?? Why would you f#$% with something you have no understanding of? Like a bunch of imbiciles playing with a flamethrower..."

I'm not sure what you mean here. Why would you try to "f#$% with something"? What do you mean by "f#$% " ? Do you mean attempting to be "green"? Is that "f#$% "ing with something? Cause the effects of polluting the world at the rate we do right now could be considered "f#$% "ing with something. We "have no understanding of" the effects of all the things we are doing right now (all the carbon we put in the atmosphere, depleting of aquifers, polluting lakes, rivers, oceans, ect.) , yes? So, should we stop this "f#$% "ing with with everything we're doing? Or do you mean, we should just keep going along and "f#$% " everything as is and not change anything because the changing of how we "f#$% " would be "f#$% "ing with something?

Not an attack, I just need some clarification of what you meant.

"Those folks that MM is standing up for are making educated guesses, but they are still guesses."

I don't mean to hammer and yammer on about that, but I still don't think that is correct. I think what might be more accurate is that you have evidence, and you then understand that evidence. I understand what you mean, as far a predictions. Of course, I suppose we could just call them "educated guesses", because no one knows the future for absolutely, 100% sure. However, meteorologists making "predictions" (I know it is accepted to call them this, but I don't think that is right either...) about this afternoons weather aren't making "educated guesses". Maybe this is just debating sematics or wording, but they base their understanding about the coming weather based on many, many things: What has happend in the past with similar situations, an understanding of the atmosphere, an understanding of weather patterns, computer simulated models and even checking with their collegues information. Even this is simplified. So, I guess you and I and "we" can call whatever we want an "educated guess", but I think that is over-simplified and does a disservice to the work people do. When my mechanic "guesses" what is wrong with my car because of his years of experience, understanding of automotive mechanics, understanding of the sounds my car is making and what is and isn't working -- all the work and experience he has doesn't just make that "an educated guess" in my mind. I think with my inexperience, and minimal knowledge based on my simply owning and driving the car, I would be making an "educated guess".

I don't mean to say this means these people can't or won't be wrong, but I think there is a lack of understanding about the scientific process and in particular the SCIENTIFIC METHOD. Even "educated guesses" just seems like such a "oh yeah, we don't need to listen to THEM" kind of term -- "They just sit around and make these educated guesses without KNOWING anything". Maybe I'm wrong, or being too picky, but that is what I think.

MM

LongTimePhotog

Just a few non scientific things. My town just recently broke some temp records. 90 degrees for three days in mid October. Is it global warming? When it was 89 degrees in 1939(last time the temp broke a record), what was the cause then? Also, wasn't there a headline in the newspaper last winter that said "Global Warning Symposium cancelled due to Blizzard". My non scientific point is weather is cyclical. What goes around comes around.