How was your year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lensmith

Just curious. I closed out my books today...after a week long vacation...and realized I did better than last year.

I thought this was going to be my worst year yet with the war in Iraq taking a huge bite out of my work. With the war, there was little or no interest in my part of the world. No interest equaled almost a month without rolling tape.

November and December, usually slower months for me, were a boom. It put a crimp in my holiday preps but was a welcome relief.

I've always felt part of the way to "succeed" as a freelancer is to be able to survive through the bad times. 2003 was a case in point for me.

I hope everyone here had a happy holiday and I wish you all the best for the New Year ;o)

cameragod

Happy New whatever John, well this last year has been the victory of the small for me. In a year where most of my bigger clients seemed to be napping some of my small 3 or 4 days every 6 month clients were booming into 12 to 15 day bookings a month. It was very strange.
2003 has been the most spasmodic, stop-go frustrating year for me but the most profitable by far. Now all is quiet so time to shoot a few short films for fun and CV me thinks.

NorthShore

John,
I'm glad to to hear that '03 went well for you, I've never written this before but you do have my dream job.

While I am primarily a staff photographer in a small market I had the opportunity to pick up some work for MSNBC, NBC, CNN, some Japanese TV (never did find out who but they paid the bill up front), CBS and NatGeo. Also taught some classes at the local cable station. All in all I had a good year. While the freelance percentage of the year was around 10% it all added to the bottom line and it was a good year.

Here's hoping that your '04 brings you more.

;)

Thomas

After all the handwringing and worry, I had a very good year. We experienced one uneasy month where, fortunately, some odd calls came in that we took to keep things moving. But, other than that, it was a smooth, steady year.

ransom

The news work slowed somewhat during the war months but never went totally away. Corporate shoots were dead at the beginning of '03 but came back strong by September. I can't complain! :D

Finding good sound people who survived this year has been more difficult. Several hung up their mixers. It reminds me I should be extra nice to my soundie. The good ones are getting harder to find ;)

Happy new year folks! Here's to another year of profit and television fun!

I

imported_blank

For me about the same as the year before. Still no HD work for me. I don't really mind as long as much of the stuff will be done with real broadcast cameras like betacams...

Hey Lensmith, do you think business is picking up for you because you are one of the only cameramen still shooting with a broadcast quality betacam in Nica??? I know how you were saying a lot of the guys down there now shoot with handycams. Just curious...

I hope the trusty 400-- along with your talent -- will bring you more work then ever.

Nino

A very Happy and Prosperous 2004 to All.

Like the Sinatra song goes: “It Was a Very Good Year”. Thanks mostly to ESPN new line of programming and for being embedded with the Super Bowl Chumps (oops, Champs) Bucs.

With memories of the 2000 election (better known as “Indecision 2000”) still vivid in many shooters saving accounts, 2004 should be an interesting year here in FL. We are all hoping for many more screw-ups.

Lensmith

Originally posted by Ivan:
Hey Lensmith, do you think business is picking up for you because you are one of the only cameramen still shooting with a broadcast quality betacam in Nica??? I know how you were saying a lot of the guys down there now shoot with handycams. Just curious...
Yes, that plays a part. I must tell you my website also seemed to play a bigger part than normal. Seems like companies, while still wanting quality, are looking for ways to save on travel budgets. The combination of the two is encouraging an uptick in my work days.

The web site has always been a useful tool but December was the first month I'd had clients book work after viewing my site. Let's hope this keeps the ball rolling for the coming year ;o)

wtv

For me, it went pretty well, a lot of my work was in Iraq, (still here).

Sadily, a good client didn't give me one job all year due to funding problems, thankfully I hear they have more money for next year. Another client's show lost its sponsor the week before Christmas and laid off 17 staff, bummer. Talked to the boss today and he said they are trying to get another one for next year, fingers crossed.

But, the best part of the year was the birth of my son, Myles.

Good luck everyone for the year ahead.

I too expected this last year to be slow. And it seemed every time I turned around I was running into someone who was complaining about it too. But with the war and finally the sniper trials it turned out to be a record year. Who knew? I think most people I know did pretty well (except for the guys at CNN)

Status
Not open for further replies.