How is your news unit setup?

I just started at a new station and this is the first station I've been at where I get a laptop to edit in the field. So far I can't stand editing in the truck (2013 Ford Escape). It's very awkward to edit in the backseat with the laptop on my lap, or in the front seat using the steering wheel to brace the laptop. Has anyone come up with a good, cheap and comfortable setup to work on that next award winning piece?

photoguy603

If you figure something out let me know. We tried those lap desk things, they are HORRIBLE IMO. I usually just push the drivers seat all the way back and struggle with the track pad.....its never ideal but you make it work.

RyanD

We actually found the laptop holders that police cruisers have. We just found some that have a small mouse pad and we hook up a mouse to it and we can edit from the center console. I don't have any pictures at this time, but if you have seen the inside of a cop car that's what I am talking about. I imagine it's way more comfortable than sitting it on your lap or on the steering wheel.

svp

I bought those trays that attach to the steering wheel and fold down. Put the seat all the way back and you have plenty of room to edit. They are only $20 and definitely the best option I've found. Here's a link to the very one I own. Works great. Of course you have to use the finger pad and can't use a mouse. There are other similar models out there will a side pull out for a mouse but I just got used to not using it in the field.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA19612B1788&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Consoles+&+Organizers-_-9SIA19612B1788&gclid=CNyK5oXY_sQCFYk7aQodMUYA-A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is a pic of me using it at breaking news.

https://scontent-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10703895_4686274570897_1756337826285030313_n.jpg?oh=17c759e651861f1e94d4e6b3238a6945&oe=55D75182

At the scene

What do you mean! Isn't everyone editing in a Starbucks or McDonalds. Wasn't only a few years ago people were telling us how great it is to edited on a laptop at your favorite coffee shop or fast food restaurant.

Am I missing something here!!! :) :)

Necktie Boy

I actually know a few shooters that do that! But one uses a Burger King.

I mentioned this in another thread.....The front seat on my Toyota truck folds flat to be used as a table. I have an extended cab, so I can sit in back and edit if I have too.

For some field editing, I found it easier to carry a small folding table and stood. More room to work with.

code20photog

Local Spanish station has the editor in the back of the truck, and they edit standing up under the tailgate, rain or shine. It *can* be worse.

2gigch1

We have begun purchasing Ford Explorers, mainly because we need the room to work in the field. I use a Jotto Desk, removing it only when I have a reporter and we are driving.

Add the 1100 watt inverter and other toys and it makes for quite the mobile newsroom. Typically on VO patrol or the like I shoot, return to the car, edit my feed, begin FTP then start driving as it goes to the station. Works pretty well.

Pictures here.

Last edited:

newz

Backseat Editing

I push the driver's seat up, get in the back of my Subaru Forester and use an old TV tray table to edit on. The mouse fits on it too. Come the warmer weather, I will open the back and edit "alfresco"!

HokiePhotog

I use one of these in my 2011 Ford Escape and use the center console as my mousepad (wireless Logitech mouse)... Another guy at my shop uses the same thing in his 2013 Fusion. I slide my seat all the way back and recline a bit and couldn't be more comfortable (I'm 6'1").

I also have a 1500W inverter permanently mounted in my crew car that powers on with the ignition switch (so it won't kill the battery)

The best part is I hide the desk in the passenger side seatback pocket for easy access.