Here's something I'm kinda proud of.

David R. Busse

This was not done for television and never aired anywhere.

For the past few years my brother (a machinery salesman who dabbles in video now and then), occasionally assisted by myself and an ABC colleague named Martin Orozco, have been visiting the Ozark country retreat of an old family friend, 68 year-old John Woods of St. Louis.

About a 90 minute drive from St. Louis, our friend spent eight years and a great deal of money building his life's dream. He told everyone he wanted to build something to entertain the grandkids.

Earlier this month, my brother and Martin dropped by to shoot some more video. My brother called me and said "I think we finally got a good interview that explains why John built this thing..."

12 days later, John died of injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident on a two-lane highway in the Ozarks. Within hours, Martin and I were sitting at a computer looking at the video he and my brother shot.

With Martin doing the editing and me playing producer, we edited a six-minute video tribute to a man and his passion. Zapped it off electronically to St. Louis, and it was shown at John's memorial service, attended by more than 400 friends. We got requests for at least a hundred copies on DVD.

This is the second "obit video" I've done. The first one was for a reporter colleague who died of a heart attack. The good news is that the intense immersion of producing such video is a great way to control your grief. The bad news is that the feeeling of loss finally hits you well after the editing's finished.

You would have liked John Woods. And, if any local teevee types had ever discovered this guy, there was a helluva story lurking here.

When it was finished, I called my brother and asked "where the heck did you learn to shoot like that...?"

"From watching you," he said.

See
http://web.me.com/dbusse/ATT&NW/Tribute_to_John_Woods.html

Go Daddy

How do we explain to ourselves and children how unfair life and death can really be. It's done with the help of tributes like this. We see one man who enables and inspires many to experience a dream. The loss of people like this is also a lesson to not take life for granted and to then pass on personal inspiration to others in the hope that generations will see and learn how dreams really can come true.

redcoat

I can see why you would be proud of this tribute. Jon seems more than deserving of it. Thanks for sharing that short look into john's passion and personality.

Lensmith

Thanks so much for sharing this David!

It was so nice to see a piece where shots were allowed to breath and be appreciated. No break-neck editing to get in the way of enjoying a shot. The pacing was relaxed...just like the folks in the story.

This is not a complaint or criticism...but I would have enjoyed seeing a little more b-roll of the people riding the train. Faces enjoying the experience. I know the focus was John Woods...but what put a smile on his face and made his efforts important to him was the way he could introduce others to his joy of trains.

What did you shoot this with? How did you mount that camera on the train for the locomotive "in action" shot.

I know it would have been easy to focus on the machinery instead of John...which is why I'm not sure I'm right about needing/wanting more video of others. Hearing from all those guys who went out of their way to be a part of this train effort says so much about John Woods influence.

I too smiled at his closing comment...as I know you have also had a long love affair with trains too.

Very nice David. Something those that loved John will always enjoy watching to remember what made him a special person in this world.

Thanks for sharing.

David R. Busse

What did you shoot this with? How did you mount that camera on the train for the locomotive "in action" shot.

Thanks for sharing.
It was shot with a couple of Canon GL2's (Martin and my brother each have their own) and a small consumer camera that my brother mounted on the locomotive (and other places on the trains) with a Bogen magic arm and clamp.