Good small HD/SD LCD Monitor

TimG

Hello!

I'm looking to purchase a good hand-held field monitor that can support both HD and SD. Need Composite, Component (SD&HD) and SDI (SD&HD) inputs.

So far I'm looking at the following:

Marshall V-LCD84SB

http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/v-lcd84sb-afhd.html

Marshall V-LCD65SB-AFHD

http://www.marshall-lcd.com/monitors/v-lcd65sb-afhd.html

and the Panasonic BT-LH80W

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/494382-REG/Panasonic_BT_LH80W_BT_LH80W_7_9_Multi_Format_Color.html

Any advice from those that own these small monitors or other flavors would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Tim

CrewU

I have the Panny and have used the Marshall...the Panny seems to be better and the customer service has been better as well.

Foxwood

I've used the Marshall a lot. It drives me nuts! It always appears soft. The viewfinder is crisp, the monitor is soft. I can't get a sharp image on the monitor regardless. Argggghhhhh!!!!!

Matt Box

So far the panny ones are the way I would go. I have not tried the 80w so if anyone has a review or any more info please let us know.

Any new ones coming out that any of you know of?

Run&Gun

Haven't used(or seen) the Panny 80, but I do have the BT-LH900A, and have been very pleased with it. They seem to have everyone beat when it comes to LCD field monitors with the best combination of design and picture. But if you're expecting a good SD pic on an HD monitor, you're gonna be disappointed...

JCTV

PRO user
I got the BT-LH80W last month and love it. It is very similar to the LH900A but smaller and lighter. I have had the BT-LH1700W 17" montor for over a year had the 80 matches it very closely.

Necktie Boy

OT:
R&G,

Do you use a AB Battery to power the LCD? And which one? How do you mount the LCD?...It's own stand or on the camera? How does the SD picture look?

Thanks

Matt Box

Whenever I use the 900a I power it with either a trimpac or a smaller hytron or dionic battery. I also have a small 12v power supply that I can power it off mains for longer shoots.

Mounting the 900a is kind of a pain. I now use a bogen ball head with a quick release that is made for still cameras and mount that to a light stand. the nice this is that with the ball head you can lock it in to any viewing angle you like. And with the small quick release plate you can remove it quickly. The only thing I don't like about this monitor is the control panel which I wish was integrated into the body of the monitor like the newer 80w. Oh and the porta brace cover is really a pain to use with this monitor.

Aside from the lack of input options and the smaller size does anyone know of any reasons not to choose the 80w over the 900a?

Skipcam

I have the BT-LH80W and think it's the best current solution. It does have the drawback that it only has one input. I get around that by using an outboard A/B box when I need two. The monitor is great when viewed on a HD signal. But when you use it in 4:3 SD, remember that the 7.9 inch screen is center punched with black bars on the side, and that usable screen area is now about 4-5 inches. I have the on camera mount but find that unless you plan on being on sticks for a very long time, it's handier to just mount it on a small light stand and cable to the camera. I use a Bogen still camera head threaded on to a 5/8" spud mounted to a Matthews grip head on the light stand. Usually power it with a A/B battery on the back, unless it's an hours long sticks shoot.

dayrate

I have the Panasonic BT-LH900A and use it a fair amount of the time. Like every other tool, it fits great into some shoots, and doesn't on others. As mentioned previously, it's not going to give you a great image when viewing in SD, but the HD image is wonderful. I found (by trial and error) that an SD image just looks soft overall, similar to a back focus problem.
It is heavy to mount onto the camera. I've ended up with a Noga HD arm when I really HAVE to mount the monitor onto the camera. Otherwise, I'll opt for a small still-camera tripod (like a 5" desk-top model) with a ball head that I can set on a tabletop and position as needed.
I use a small A/B Dionic or Hytron battery to power, if there's no AC available.
We also have the Panasonic 17". They make nice pictures. I haven't used the 80W, but it looks like it's a great way to go.

Run&Gun

I don't power it with a battery too much, but have used Hytron 50's and Hytron 120's(Heavy!). I bought a little power supply from B&H for about $100-$150. I use the Porta Brace case(you can finally mount the external control panel in the right place with the proper orientation!), but I keep it with the power supply and some BNC's in a small Pelican case. And I don't mount it on the camera, way too heavy, I just keep it in the case on the ground or on a chair or table when doing sit-downs. SD picture is crap-soft and washed out... But I didn't buy it for SD, I have my Sony 9L3 for that.

JCTV

PRO user
I too use a still camera mini tripod on my 80W, (same pop out tripod I have been using on hand mics for years), and have the monitor in a Porta Brace case but store it in a Pelican case. I Like the Porta Brace Case for the hood and for screen protection when moving around on location. The 80W is lighter than the 900 and can be mounted on the camera pretty easily. It can also be powered on the camera with the right cable.
An SD image on it is fine, but I agree that when you are shooting 4:3 it a bit small for using with a client.

Necktie Boy

Thanks everyone for the great information.....Now I have to decide which Panna to get the 7.9 or the 8.4.....Also get the HD Camera....Looking at the Sony deal