Generator overheating issue

Every year it feels like the problem just gets worse and worse. When it gets over 98, our trucks basically shut down. Even parked in the shade with a minimal load, they struggle to keep running in 100+ heat. Our latest attempt to cool them off has been to use high powered fans and have them blow on the generator. This helps a little, but isn't the best fix.

What do you guys do to keep your truck generators from over heating?

marstaton4

I've got a Onan CMM7000 and it only has about 1100 hours on it but it seems to be fine. I've started changing the oil myself with synthetic which may or may not help with anything but with the extreme heat it can't hurt. I've had a problem with it leaking a little bit, i'm assuming because the heat is thinning it out at over 80 i'm supposed to use a heavier grade.

Anyways, back to what you were saying. I've always heard you should keep the covers on them for proper air flow. You may also want to consider running the trucks a/c at times instead of the overhead rv syle one if you have a van. That should take a huge load off. Also make sure the doors stay closed so the ac doesn't have to work as hard. I would also try and keep any lights off until you get close to your shot as the more power you ask it to make the harder it works which in turn makes more heat. You may also want to check to make sure everything is clean and nothing is obstructing the flow of air. If you have a liquid cooled genny double check to make sure that everything in the cooling system is functioning correctly and you have the proper coolant/water mix and that there isn't any buildup on the inside. Hopefully some of this helps.

oldngray

This may be almost insultingly obvious, but does your generator have a lever on it that your operators need to switch beween summer and winter conditions. Our Onan is air cooled and has this lever. In winter it routes the air over the generator to warm it up some to combust properly with the fuel. We forget to switch it from summer to winter at least once and the air intake actually freezes up.

If the air is too warm going into the carbuerator, I would guess the generator could shut itself down to avoid overheating. Might be worth a check.

We've done all the obvious things; generator maintenance, minimal load, letting it run for a bit before putting any load on it. It's not liquid cooled, just air cooled.

I'll have to check on that switch though, been here for almost 6 years and have never heard it mentioned before.

The latest theory being passed around is that the exhaust from the truck engine is right below the generator and running the truck engine is causing the generator to overheat.

BryantVW

Keep us posted matt. We're going through the EXACT same thing over at my station. One of the gennys keeps dying, and 9 times out of 10 it's in the summer. I'm about to go outside and look for that switch myself.

But of course when we turn it over to our engineers to get it fixed they NEVER can get it to die...

phxtvwatcher

The latest theory being passed around is that the exhaust from the truck engine is right below the generator and running the truck engine is causing the generator to overheat.
Bingo....Here in Arizona, it's very hot and running the truck and the generator will cause overheating and a shut down in extreme heat conditions. In many news vans, the exhaust is right next to the generator and that extra heat will cause the generator to shut down.

Hope this helps.

Latin Lens

Our generators here in Las Vegas have issues in the hot summer from overheating. The exhaust from the truck has a huge effect on the generator since its located underneath. We've recently got hoses to attach to the exhaust pipe to help push any exhaust away. Guess its unsure wether the heat from the pipe itself is the cause or the exhaust fumes. The fumes would have an effect on the oxygen intake of the generator...causing it to work harder and thus overheat. There's a proper mixture of oxygen that should keep the generator running efficiently. Our gen carborateurs seem to be replaced more frequently but monitor the oxygen levels.

Shootblue

Perhaps the live trucks just realize the pointlessness of most live shots and are trying to send a message. Similar to how the occasional low transmitter power instead of high power will save you a lot of trouble.

I saw an email a little while ago that said a new generator was going to be installed in our most troublesome truck. Rerouting the exhaust might be a project put off until next summer. Thanks for the feedback guys.