DVD question

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be a stupid question... but does anyone know what I need to put some kind of copy protection on my DVD's?....

Any info would be appreciated..

Flaca Productions

if you're cutting them on FCP - just put a little bug in the corner. that would be the easiest - would that accomplish what you're trying to do?

are you just trying to make sure that YOUR pieces stay YOURS? so no one could put them on their reel?

I do freelance stuff on the weekends, weddings, dance recitals, etc... and I do edit on Final Cut Pro.... my problem is that I suspect that some people are just copying the DVD's I send them, and just sending them back... I know I don't neccesarily have to give them their money back, but I have been. I just want a way to copy protect them, so that I know it's truly that they're not satisfied with the product, instead of just making a copy.... I know there's software to do that, but I just don't know what to get.... anyways.... any input would be appreciated....

Douglas

PhotogInTex,

Don't send them the finished copy right away. Send them an "approval copy" with a giant watermark right across the center of the screen, or running time-code or something. Once they approve it, then you can send them a clean copy. That way they can't return it because they say they didn't like the content.

Doug

Terry E. Toller

Douglas has a good idea!
Send them a VHS copy of the edited program. Place your name or "sample video" in the center of the picture from start to finish. Explain to them that if they want the video, you will provide them with a DVD without the printed words. Also have them sign a document that says they like the sample video and accept it for final production. that way, they can't come back and complain that they don't like the work.

dhart

Macrovision is a pain to try and work with. Mininum orders are very high and not a good option for individual DVDs. The VHS with watermark seems the better option. There is no way to copy protect individual DVD's

Icarus112277

I wouldn't even send them a complete copy.

Send some excerpts if possible, for their approval. Or try to get them into the office to watch it.

If you must give up a copy, definitely give a very large semi-transparent graphic over the video. Some people will live with running timecode, or something smaller.

Even if you install copyguard, there is ALWAYS a way around it, especially for non-broadcast use.

Thanks for all the info guys.... putting something over the video had never even crossed my mind, that seems like probably the cheapest, and more suitable for what I'm doing right now... Thanks for the links to the software too.

Status
Not open for further replies.