DVCPRO to FCP Issues

LesPaul

This is the first time that I am trying this and I'm having some trouble. I am trying to take footage off of my P2 card through the camera and capture it into Final Cut Pro.

I am running a 2.0 USB cable from my Panasonic AJSPC700P to Final Cut Pro 5.1.4.

In the camera, I have switched the USB setting to ON in the system settings menu.

In Final Cut Pro I have the capture settings set to: DEVICE CONTROL - FireWire NTSC CAPTURE/INPUT - DV NTSC 48 kHz

In FCP, it says that it cannot read the video deck. I click CAPTURE NOW and it shows nothing but black. I have read the cameras manual and that is all that it has told me to do.

Is there a step that I am missing? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Les,

I'm not sure if it's the same on your version of FCP, but I do not "capture" from P2 - rather I "transfer."

Connect up your camera as you describe, but go to "Log and Transfer." This should show all the clips from your camera and you select the ones you wish to bring into your project.

There is no need to "play the video" into the system.

Hope that helps...

kev

phxtvwatcher

Kevin is correct on how to get the video into your computer. You drag what you want and it will take a few minutes until your are ready to edit.

LesPaul

Thanks for the help.

I can't even find a Log and Transfer tab in FCP.

There is a Panasonic P2 tab but it is not showing anything when I click on it.

Do I need to get special software or a special board installed?

That's all I can think of.

Thanks again guys.

zac love

"shift+option+8" opens up the log & transfer window. I don't think of it as a "tab."

Can you see your P2 cards as hard drives? If not, that could also be a problem.

You should be able to transfer everything from the P2 card to an internal or external Hard Drive. Just make sure you take all the folders & reference files too. FCP needs these to log & transfer.

phxtvwatcher

I don't use P2 now but have transfered some P2 stuff into my FCP computer. I think you go to the file tab at the top of the screen and go to Import and Panasonic P2. It should pull up thumbnails of your clips and you can import them into your computer. I believe you need FCP 5 or higher for it to have the P2 transfer option. Maybe someone else can confirm this.