Dumbest questions ever asked on the job??

I was covering a race at the local track. I was in the pits shooting cars pulling in, crew working on them, and cars pulling off. Apparently, one of the cars broke a pitting rule and was penalized, I don't follow racing so I'm not sure what happened exactly. One of the crew members came up to me and asked, "Can I see the replay of our car?" I was nice and gave him the one word answer instead of two. "No."

Terry E. Toller

A female reporter asked a firefighter at a presser during a wildland fire, "Why do you go to so much effort to get a line around the fire?" He looked at her for a few seconds and said, "So we can put it out."

phojorisin

my 2 cents

Just had to add an opinion on the whole "say and spell your name" thing. There are other ways to get the name and title at the beginning of your interview, so you don't end up sounding like an idiot. I agree, because you never know who is going to use that sound, you do want to have it on there. However, to go up to someone you've interviewed 20 times before, or someone famous, and ask them their name does make you look a tad out of it. So I like to either say into my shotgun mic "Ok, this is Sheriff John Smith of Jones County." Or if I'm not sure how to spell the name, say "ok, this is Tom Cruise...(and then in a questioning tone) spelled C-r-u-i??-s-e?" The person will usually just nod in approval, and you don't like stupid by not knowing who Tom Cruise.
I just think there are times when you need to use different ways to get that name and spelling that don't embarrass you.
On a side note, I don't think it's always a good idea to start your interview off with the "say and spell your name" question. Because if someone is very nervous, and you say that...they're gonna tense up big time because now they know for sure that you're rolling. If you just ease them into a conversation while you're rolling, they'll be more comfortable because there was never that "Oh my gosh, here we go" kind of moment. Then at the end just say "ok great, that's all I need, can I get your name one more time?"

One of my favorites, from parents when on a "feel good" story... "Hey Mr. TV guy, my kid is real cute... can you FILM him?"

Also, from some green reporter, new to the market you're in... "Are you SURE this is the fastest way there?" And two back to back that really get to me... "Why do you need me to carry the tripod? Can't you carry all the gear yourself?"

Not only do we get the shots, we are PACK MULES as well...

bw3508

Which one?

Last year as an intern, a fellow intern w. two more years of credits than myself asked our station's 6pm anchor...

"Wait, so it's called Clear Channel? Which channel is that on?"

Um...
s-t-u-p-i-d

Eightmile

Mine today:

Sales co-worker (long story): So why didn't we have audio?

Me: Because this cable was unplugged. (The cable running from my camera ALL the way to the live truck)(another long story)

Sales: So what does this cable do?

Me: *pause* Makes. The. Audio.

Yeah so it wasn't a very textbook answer, but I was caught off guard that she even asked that in the first place. She also asked to me to record on something later on, and I told her Yeah, I rolled on that. She asked, What does Roll mean?

couryhouse

think of it as a motor drive......

when I am asked will take stills......I reply.....think of it as a motor drive camera that runs at 30 frames per second! Gosh that smokes any nikon or cannon camera!

In addition to the "What radio station?" question, I have also been asked "What newspaper you with?".....oh I'm with the Dodge City Tribune and we have an interview set up with Wyatt Earp a little later. Man it amazes me how stupid some people are. When was the last time you saw a still camera that weighed 35 lbs.?????

leftcoastphotog

when people talk...

When people come up to me and start talking while i am obviously shooting I simply say... " sshhhh we are doing talkies now"
That usually shuts them up real quick.
But the absolute most idiotic question i heard happened a few years ago
I was covering a very sad single fatal ax where the dad had a seizure while driving and drove into a pond he was DOA and the infant son was pending. we were talking to the family (which we have all had to do). And this redneck with all of about three teeth came up and said...
Redneck: " What'yall covering?"
Me: In a very hushed tone " We are covering a story in which a neighbor of yours was involved in a fatal accident"
Redneck: after a second of thought "Hurt bad?"
Me: In my mind WTF??? " FATAL ACCIDENT"

somedays...
Lcp

rocky1138

here are a few more
----
I'm at some inner city shooting crime scene. I get a couple shots of some officers talking to someone sitting in the back of a squad car (their face is hidden from my lens).

this jerk, who is a cop, turns away from the squad to see me w/ my camera on sticks pointing right at him. he yells condescendingly over at me "Are you filming me?"

I say "Nope" & don't bother to state that I was taping him, & most news photogs haven't used 16mm film for decades.
-----

me & a reporter pull up to a state entrance in a marked station vehicle. as the gate attendant is getting the clip board for us to sign in she says

"Oh TV-18 is here, I guess if I charged you guys admission, I'd read about it tomorrow in the paper."
----

(this wasn't a question asked to me, but I should have saved the tape & put it on Youtube)

at a city budget meeting the chair of the Bike & Pedestrian Commision stood up and asked the board to moved ahead w/ the $2mil plan to rebuild many broken down city sidewalks.

the youngest city councilman, who loved to hear himself talk & had to say something about every topic, responded to the request for money with

"I've sat in on some of the Bike & Pedrestrian Commision meetings, but I haven't been to any of the recent meetings. But mainly I'm confused to why you want new sidewalks when bikes are required to ride in the street."

if you don't get it, think about every word he said in his first sentance

---

back in my senior year of college I was the university cable station manager & I clashed a lot w/ the professor above me (nick Mr. PhD). (he was hired about 2 weeks before the school year started to replace the professor who started the mass comm department & who had just retired)

Mr. PhD & I argued a lot about how much hands-on-out-of-class opportunities students should have. (I had gained a lot of experience from the opportunities the previous professor had created for me & other students in years past)

one day Mr. PhD was directing & td-ing a multi-camera live event on campus from our remote truck. I was doing a lot of running back & forth, making sure all the new students knew how to run their cameras / head sets, that all the cables were in place, that we had a good audio feed, etc.

about 10min after the event began I stop in the truck to check in on Mr. PhD. good thing too b/c I noticed that nothing was being recorded. As I reach over to the deck & hit Record-Play I say

"Uh, just to let you know, nothing was being recorded"

"What do you mean? I looked over there before & I saw numbers moving."

"Well yes, that is b/c the tape was rewinding. It is recording now b/c the numbers are moving AND the red light is on."

boy oh boy did I learn that all my hands-on-experience just competely useless...

although I've done many things just as stupid prior to that day, but I really think that you're suppose to make as many of those mistakes when you're in school - learning

Ohio Tre

A local basketball team had to forfeit a state title due to an illegal player (The team didn't fill out the proper paper work). At a press conference with the high school commissioner it was mentioned that he also played football. The over zealous action news reporter jumps in and says "Why won't they have to forfeit their football wins? Don't you think this is wrong?"

Commission looks dumbfounded and replies: "Well, if they would have won any games this year they would, but since they lost every one, then no."

I was shooting this live and all I heard in my headsets was the producer and director laughing.

TXPhotog

A reporter and I went to a shooting out in the middle of whitetrashville where the only lights were the cop lights and people "fences" were sheets of plywood pounded into the ground. Well the guy got shot in the abdomen and didn't die. So the reporter and I are sitting in the live truck when this local comes up and goes "Whut happuned? I think I mught know the guyh?" (yes I'm sure it would of been spelled that way had it been transcribed) So my reporter goes :
-"He got shot in the abdomen."
-<silence>.........thuh whut?
-"The stomach."
-Oh. Ok.

freedom

Used to shoot a lot of film for a major communications company. The raw footage was being screened, as usual. In walks the owner of the communications company to watch the daily's. After a bit, seeing several takes of the same scene he asks...
"why don't you just shoot the good takes?"

bassetf5

and that is nothing new

in about 1978 I was shooting a boat race on film (with a silent Scoopic, for you old-timers) and someone asked me "are we live on the air right now?"

well, yeah, of course we are, it's magic...

bassetf5

this really happened too...

saw a producer pull tape out of a 3/4 cassette once and hold it up to the light, couldn't understand why she wasn't seeing any pictures...

ShootinNewz

Dumb & Scary

Awhile back a major storm was hitting us hard, lightning, flooding the works.

I get called out with a reporter to a house that was just struck by lightning. Some damage to the house, but the story was that it struck only a few feet away from the family sitting in the house. We are told to do a live shot? I said no sorry there is no way, there is still a major lightning storm overhead sorry guys.

Here is the dumb question asked;

I was then asked if I could park the ENG truck down the street so that way if the mast is up and the truck is struck by lightning I wouldn’t get shocked because I wasn’t standing by it? SAY WHATTT, I told them, there is cable attached to the truck still that attaches to my camera that I'm holding during the live shot. Their reply; I don’t think the electricity will travel down the cable that far so you should be fine!

Now that is just plain DUMBBBBBB

Oh and I almost forgot to mention we did a story on another house a block away 10 minutes after our live shot. If it strikes in the same area twice, I don’t want to be the one to find out!