Dumbest questions ever asked on the job??

Foxwood

I was training Photographers on a new livetruck. We were in the parking lot behind the station with the mast up, tuning in a live shot. A producer walks out the back door on her way to lunch.

She stops.

Looks up at the mast.

Looks down at the truck.

And asks me......

"What's that?"

Son-of-Spam

Not the stupidest im sure but the one that popped into my mind...

While out in the field w/ just my camera and tripod...

"Is that live on tv right now?"...

Dumbest thing ever said to me:

after a 2 hour interview, reporter says thanks to the guy, then the guy says, "Oh, you didn't get this info from me, I don't want to be on tv."

OK THANKS FOR WASTING MY TIME!!!

newz

When one of our photogs was at the northern end of the market and was asked how long it would take to get to the southern end of the market (about 2 hours highway driving) the assignment editor said..."but it's only a couple inches on the map!"

I speak the truth.

Wutangmaster

One of our photographers asked Barry Sanders to say and spell his name. Barry just about jumped out of his skin in amazement that the guy did not know who he was. I about crapped my pants it was so funny.

LongTimePhotog

I was on an overnight fire when the green reporter arrived. I informed her that there was an infant dead and two critical. She asks "was this a serious fire"? "One dead, two critical, what is your definition of serious"? I said. She then asked " I meant, were there flames"? She lasted about 6 months before "leaving to pursue other interests".

TXPhotog

In addition to the "What radio station?" question, I have also been asked "What newspaper you with?".....oh I'm with the Dodge City Tribune and we have an interview set up with Wyatt Earp a little later. Man it amazes me how stupid some people are. When was the last time you saw a still camera that weighed 35 lbs.?????

TXTechPhoto

I was doing a live shot at the edge of a bussiness parking lot because I did not want to be in the highway. We were doing a story about the road not the bussiness. I was set up fully masted up and a lady from the bussiness comes out and asks me "why is you van hooked into to our light pole."

Goon

One of our photographers asked Barry Sanders to say and spell his name. Barry just about jumped out of his skin in amazement that the guy did not know who he was. I about crapped my pants it was so funny.
Not everyone follows sports. One of our general assignment reporters was interviewing the coach of the local college lacross team. She asked them how their season went. The coach kind of rolled his eyes and said "Uh... we won the national championship." I hate to bring that guy down to earth but not every one follows college lacross.

bluffton

When I was in Louisville, I got to a scene downtown where there were at least 20 fire trucks at the Gault House (huge hotel...over 1000 rooms) and ladders were deployed, and smoke everywhere. As I started crossing the street someone in the crowd asked, "Hey what happened?" I chuckled and said,"Someone won the lottery."

Foxwood

I got sent to cover an appearence by Lynn Martin, Secretary of Labor for the first George Bush. The reporter was going to meet me there. I arrived first, and found myself in a nice conversation with her. The reporter walks in, comes over to us, holds out his hand to her and asks, "And you are?"

thru-the-lens

Doesn't look that far on the map

newz said:
When one of our photogs was at the northern end of the market and was asked how long it would take to get to the southern end of the market (about 2 hours highway driving) the assignment editor said..."but it's only a couple inches on the map!"
We have had people not from Texas call and ask us to send a crew from San Antonio to El Paso for a some event. Its a hard 8 hour drive , 560 miles between the two.

thru-the-lens.

Baltimore Shooter

thru-the-lens said:
We have had people not from Texas call and ask us to send a crew from San Antonio to El Paso for a some event. Its a hard 8 hour drive , 560 miles between the two.

thru-the-lens.
On the flip side of that, I get calls from people who seem to think that Baltimore & DC are about as far as Dallas and LA.

I get comments like "But you're in Baltimore, won't it take you all day to drive to DC? You'll have to leave the night beofore. We can't pay for a hotel room".

Or "Your name is Baltimore Visual Arts, so you don't go to Washignton DC, right?"

Damn, Baltimore & DC are only 40 miles from each other. I don't have to drive there the night before, I don't need a hotel room, and it won't take me all day to get there.

Geez...

Warren

Wutangmaster

Goon said:
Not everyone follows sports. One of our general assignment reporters was interviewing the coach of the local college lacross team. She asked them how their season went. The coach kind of rolled his eyes and said "Uh... we won the national championship." I hate to bring that guy down to earth but not every one follows college lacross.

I do understand that not everyone follows sports but comparing lacrosse to football, well that's apples and oranges not even close. Is lacrosse even a sport????

Freddie Mercury

Multiple times, someone has stood off to the side while the reporter did their live shot and watched. "Live from the crime scene, Charley Brown, Channel One News", then they walk up and ask, "When will this be on?"

Foxwood

Is LaCrosse even a sport?

Well, that would be the dumbest question I ever saw.

Just the oldest sport being played.

Do some research, you may be suprised.

Ha!

pre-set

wutang said:

Who is Barry Sanders????????

Nah - really though - "Name, spelling and title (if any)" is the FIRST question outta my mouth, even if it's someone I've known for years. There are several PIO's I've known around here for over a decade, and I still ask 'em every time I get sound.... That's just the smart thing to do.

I was sitting in my microwave truck with station logos plastered on every side at 10:30 at night in a parking lot when a basket case of a woman came screeching to a halt next to me. She jumped out of her Buick, walked up to me and asked: "Are you a police officer?"

I waited ten seconds to see if her other hemisphere was going to kick in. It didn't.

"NO."

robbrad

SItting at a high school football game in the SNG truck on the edge of the track. Guy walks up and looks at me

"Are you here for the football game?"

my response

"football game? Where?"

He actually responded "over there"