Critiques Please

This is my first post in the entry level section (I've been shooting 15 months), though I've posted a few videos in the video critiques section. I hope some of you veteran's can share some tips on how to improve, especially my editing.

I'm posting two news videos and an interview.

I look forward to your suggestions and comments. Thanks in advance.

http://videos.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/2009/04/fire_levels_church_and_apartme.html

http://videos.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/2009/04/students_arrested_in_south_hig.html

http://videos.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/2009/03/jazz_trumpeter_dominick_farina.html

Latin Lens

Hi Lonnie....E. 79th fire story....much better shot selection and shot composition....your photog eye is developing nicely...you seem more comfortable now with a video camera just like you are with your still. The shorter length is doing you better...just remember to sprinkle some tight shots in there...it seemed like most of the shots were wide to medium-wide....get a first quick soundbite in quicker/sooner...the intro without it is rather boring and could use a bite to pick it up a little just to get the feel of what we are about to see...try and find some different nat sound to use for your breaks...you can hear the water...but what else was/is making noise out there to use....search for it...apply it. But your are making great strides in the right direction....good job.

Latin Lens

Students arrested story.....you had good action going on here but you chose to just stand still and record the event/ action happening which is fine....but in this case to make it better you need to get involved....not interfere...but involved....get engrossed in the action by shooting a little POV style...get behind students being shoo'ed away instead of the side...be on the same plane as them to make me (viewer) more "there". Again...get a descriptive/first reax bite in there sooner so we understand the story sooner....good lesson to learn....if you see anyone with an injury walking out....approach cautiously and place a quick question, "You okay?" for a reax bite that will help the story big time...because again its all about taking me there....if you get involved more the viewer will feel like they are there through you...thats what a good photog does.

Latin Lens

Jazz trumpet...Lonnie...great lighting....I loved it...these types are hard because your subject is in your intvs and in your b-roll...and its tough because at some point you might have jumpcuts...but here are some ideas to help minimize that and think a little outside the box.

You got artsy on the interview...which I liked, these stories allow that. You need more sounbites and music intwined together...you don't have to show the interview shot soooo much because you see who is playing and assume thats the person talking...so less interview more b-roll. You have to weave the audio and soundbites in and out....like your conducting a symphony...fade in fade out. Utilize the whole room...the way you light it would be cool to see a wide shot of him standing solo in that environment...maybe some more pans to and from the action (tight shots or medium)....start off with jazz guy off camera and pan to his fingers moving then pan away...this way you can use slow dissolves as well to help with the feel. Good job overall...maybe it could have been shorter but I liked what you were trying to do with it.

LL,

I appreciate your time to give the very helpful critiques. I'm still working on putting together all of the things I learn here. I'm going to reedit the trumpeter and the fire story as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks again.

nguyen.jason

First story about the apt fire: I felt it took to long to hear someone. You can quickly lose intrest here i believe you need to hook people in withing the first 5 seconds. it took 17 for me to hear someone. after you super someone go ahead and cover them up you really don't need to see them. try to get more close ups too. faces hands always a good thing.

nguyen.jason

second story school: I like cops arresting people thats great video. try and get more action shots. close ups of cops telling people to move. Parents teachers being P.O.ed. i went to a cleveland public school i know how hard those schools are. if you know anything about Mooney and Gallagher those were the last two that i went too. cops were there everyday too. you can defently show the gangster sides at those places and make a folo on how and why these schools are the way they are. you can't not get enough of this story

nguyen.jason

try shoing more close ups quicker you keep the same shots up tomuch. don't be afraid of moving around him. show his eyes i played trumpet the eyes on players when they play something they really like to play they close them. try slow pans from the trumpet to his hand to his face. don't be afraid to go out of the box

FOCUZ

I'm not a news guys, more of the doc type. So take this for what its worth.

I like to see the interview in a different location than the B-Roll. Not another building or room, but a different set up then your b-roll. This makes it a little easier to cut and more interesting to the eye.

Great lighing though, I love the edge on the fill side.