Class Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

David R. Busse

We newsies have often used this forum to complain about working conditions, pay and how we are treated by the media conglomerates who employ us.

I'd like to pass along a little story about something that happened to me Friday night.

May 19 was my 25th anniversary of employment with my station. To tell you the truth, I can tell you exactly what I did my first day on the job in 1980, but I have no idea what I did just a few months ago on that same date. It's been a great place to work and those years have sailed by--especially the more recent ones.

So Friday night our corporate parent, The Walt Disney Company, threw a little bash at the Ritz-Carlton in Pasadena to honor Southern California employess celebrating 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40 years of service with Disney and predecessor companies.

It's a tradition that Walt himself started many years ago, and the company believes strongly in keeping it alive.

At the cocktail party, we chatted with Disney CEO Bob Iger, with whom I worked at the '84 Winter and Summer Olympics (he was a studio supervisor for ABC--he got a 30-year award last year); ABC prez Anne Sweeney and Disney Studios chief Dick Cook (who started as a Disneyland ride operator). It's nice to mix with the big wigs and be treated as a colleague...it's also nice to look around and see co-workers like fish-out-of-water in coats and ties.

At the awards ceremony, 20-year vets got their choice of a watch or a Disney ring engraved with the employee's "start" year. The rest of us got fancy statuettes engraved with our names and a blurb about our "magical" years of service with the company. The 25-year folks like me got a Tinkerbelle statuette; Jiminy Cricket, Pinnochio and some of the other characters graced the larger ones given to folks with longer service. There were no 45-year vets at this dinner, but I understand their statuette features Walt himself and Mickey.

Interestingly, 11 employees of my "business unit" (KABC-TV) got 25 year honors--six of them news photogs. One of the 40-year honorees was also one of our news photogs (who started as an apprentice film editor at 18).

Yep, I've complained about the changes I've seen in the business and the two changes of ownership that have happened in my ABC career, but the simple fact that the company spent a few dollars to tell us "thanks" for the effort was pretty impressive. OK--I'm a midwesterner...I'm easily impressed.

It's nice to know that at least one media conglomerate still appreciates longevity. I'm still amazed...honored...and eager to get back to work Monday.

Any other news employers out there still do anything special for long-term employees?

[ November 20, 2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: David R. Busse ]

Frank McBride

I haven't stayed anywhere longer than 4 years, so I think 3 weeks vacation is pretty special.

Belo had a ceremony for their long-term employees a few months back, but not being in that group, I couldn't say what they did.

What you are describing is something I wish more companies would realize. We really don't expect much, but an occassional "attaboy" or other acknowledgment can go a long, long way in job satisfaction. In your case, a party and a statue have you ready to show YOUR appreciation come Monday. This isn't just a TV news thing, but all employers should try a little positive sometimes.

FMc

marv3

Dave if anything your a class act. Congrates on 25 . Having spent at least 2 of thoughs years working with you , You've always been welling to pass on the info. I will remmember my start date as oct 05 . just got hired staff across town. I hope I last as long as you have.Tell the other guy
Congrates as well for me.

Julio

Congradulations to those of you who have reached a mile stone in your careers. May you have as many years to come as you would like. It makes me happy to see that some companies recognize the value of their empoyee's. I have been with two shops over the past twelve years and have not been recognized once. I really don't care, but a thank you once in a while would be nice.

bluffton

David,

I am glad to see you are appreciative of Disney. As you know, a party is a great way to thank people, but many would still complain
(s)he didn't get a bonus or a raise.

I work for Scripps Howard and don't know what they do for it's long term folk (I'm approaching my third year here) but I do know they appreciate dedication.

They have an employee of the month award and give out "President's Awards" quarterly (which is 450 shares of stock if you should win.)

I like what I do and I think that has a lot to do for whom I work.

Reading your post reminds me, that just because I am not told daily how much I am appreciated, my paycheck does clear twice a month, my family has insurance and my boss knows my name...They are living up to their side of the aggreement.

Now, I need to look at me and make sure I am.

Awesome post.

David R. Busse

Originally posted by bluffton:

I work for Scripps Howard and don't know what they do for it's long term folk (I'm approaching my third year here) but I do know they appreciate dedication.

Awesome post.
Speaking of awesome, you should go up to the big office there and introduce yourself to John Lansing, the head honcho at Scripps Networks (HGTV, etc.)

John will deny it, but the basic fact is this--he was one of the finest news photographers I ever saw. I know because I recruited him from WPSD-Paducah in 1980 to replace me at WAVE-TV, when I left Louisville for Los Angeles.

It was a huge loss for news photography when John moved into management---but a huge gain for those companies who employed him as a news director, station manager and now, running a bunch of successful cable networks.

John still knows and appreciates good photography and good photographers.

It takes one to know one.

There aren't enough of his kind in the upper eschelons of management these days.

photogguy

From one cast member to another...

Congratulations, David.

Somehow, Mickey missed my 5-year anniversary here, but I still like working for the mouse.

tresbeez

While I congratulate you on your longevity with the station I think maybe this appreciation varies in ABC O&O land. We have a feature reporter that has been with Cap Cities/Disney for over 20 years. Recently they have told him that people dont want to see feature stories, so now he is on the general assigmnent beat and more recently has been told his contract is not being renewed. This guy is probably the best and most fun reporter I have ever worked with. The day he told me he wasnt renewed I almost cried. He is just one of those classic story tellers that does not exist in our market anymore.

Anyway back to my point: While I think Disney is a good company to work for there is a good storyteller having a knife shoved in his back along with a swift kick in the ass out the door.

McColl

David,

Your contributions here and in other places are valued, and tremendously so... you deserve every bit of recognition that you get. A class act, indeed.

Congrats on your anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.