building Explorer crew-car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaca Productions

Greetings,
Looks like i'm going to be getting an Explorer for crew-car use. Any tips or tricks on setting up the cargo section for gear would be appreciated.

I know lots of you guys have set up numerous vehicles - no need for me to re-invent the wheel......

Flaca Productions

dino - thanks for the link. nice stuff there.
scott - is that plywood construction? nicely done. that - in conjuction with a truckvault product might be a nice combo...thanks.

A

audiocam

My grip and his father are cabinet makers. I came up with a design, they refined it and built it on a Saturday. It's a very strong grade plywood, works like a charm and impresses the @#$@ out producers.

I saw the Truckvault product recently online, but the vans have a lip on the back end. I think with the vault you'd loose several inches.

Also, I've worked out of suburbans before and I owned a Jeep too; they just don't compare with a mini van. With the mini van, you have room for 3 or 4 people plus a hugh cargo area and you look like any other soccer family and not a camera crew. Most of the time, it pays to be incognito. I also don't hang any signs on my vehicle that scream out, expensive camera in here come and rob me.

When I really load up, I put the cargo case on top and use it for items I don't need readily. I also put air shocks and heavy duty tires on because I load right to max weight.

Finally, I thought about a regular work van (3/4 ton), but they drive like a truck, the seats don't fold down for sleeping and I worry about not being able to get into parking structures with low clearance.

Good luck with your project vehicle,
Scott

Flaca Productions

Scott,
Thanks for the suggestions. I've worked out of tons of vehicles, but they have all been rentals. This is my first opportunity to build up a truck just for my use. It will take some messing around with and some evolution, but i look forward to it.

Going with the Explorer as i can get a great deal (from inside the family) and since i am on the front end of putting my kit together, this size of vehicle will suit my needs for now. i anticipate it will evolve as well.
thanks,

Baltimore Shooter

On a related subject, does anyone have pics of a set up in a minivan, in perticular a Toyota Sienna? I have mine set up pretty nice, I built a shelf, and bolted my camera cage in, so I'm pretty happy with it, but I thought someone might know of a site w/ pics of minivan suggestions. Thanks
Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.