Best use of iPhone (besides the obvious)

jumpkutz

I've got a brand new, shiny iPhone 5 on my hip. It's replacing a BlackBerry Tour. Was just wondering what some of you use it for besides calls, social media, etc., and what apps you've found particularly useful for news....er, (damn, almost did it again) CONTENT gathering. As an example, I've used my iPod touch as a driving camera by mounting it on my interior windshield with a larger plastic generic cell phone holder with a suction cup. It's pretty handy, and the video looks decent on the air. Especially helpful on weather stories, especially when chasing salt trucks.

Teddy

The three physical dimensions of the phone are helpful when the cameras off the sticks and you need something to wedge under there to get just the right shot.

JTFCM

There's a great iPhone app called Filmic Pro. It's about $5, but worth it. Check it out.

FOXLight

We use them for quick driving shots or pov from the dash looking through the steering wheel. Make sure you always have a iphone usb cable and micro usb cable great for getting the video to the avid and for those walk ups to the trucks of bystanders with flame video! One another tip if in avid link the file via AMA and don't go for the import.

jumpkutz

Yes, I've been doing that since January, since Newslab's Deborah Potter turned us on to a free app called Genius Scan at the KNPA workshop. It's free, and works fairly well, although somtimes it gets a bit squirrelly when trying to crop what you want. Our primary investigative reporter uses a paid app called Turbo Scan. I've not used it, but he seems to like it OK. Plus, he can get that stuff paid for easier than we can.