Avid curveballs

Overseas

I just starting working with Avid recently it threw me a few issues I'm not familiar with. First, when using the dual-roller trim the first clip changes appear in the preview window, but I want to preview the second clip. How can I change this? Second, does anyone know what it means when an asterisk appears next to my projects name in the upper left side of my bin window? Finally, how do I recover my wrk after my computer crashes? I know Avid is supposed to automatically save at give time intervals, but not all of my work was saved during a recent computer crash. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

shootist

PRO user
if i understand you correctly as to issue 1...if you're doing a dual trim, the changes for the outcue of the first clip will be seen in the left monitor and the changes for the incue of the second clip are seen in the right monitor...but maybe i'm not understanding the question.

the asterisk in the bin title means that changes have been made to the bin since your last save.

there is a way to preset the system to save/checkin your project at a pre-determined interval. perhaps yours is not set. but the only way to be sure to keep your work is to save often. if you are on a network, you should also check in your bins so that if/when your computer crashes you can recall from another work station in case yours doesn't want to come back up.

BlueWing

Avid will automatically back up your project, but only to the project folder on your main system drive. If you have a computer crash that involves your hard drive then you could loose that project as well as any other projects you may have stored there.

You need to start saving your project to a separate drive at the end of your session each day. Takes 2 minutes and could save your ass. I backup my project folder to several different places. As I get near a final cut I also consolidate my sequence to another drive so that in case of a problem with my video drive I also have a backup of the sequence and files on a backup drive.

oldngray

If you know that Avid is doing the auto saves for you, you need to look in a subfolder under the C: drive, Projects, Avid, Avid Newscutter (or whatever version you are using), Avid Attic. This is where Avid will locally file any autosaved item.

Off the top of my head I can't remember what you need to do to retrieve this to your project/bin, but this might be the what you are looking for.

And as was posted earlier, this will only be filed on the workstation you are using, not sent to the Avid network (Media Manager, Interplay, etc.) that you are using.

shootist

PRO user
If you know that Avid is doing the auto saves for you, you need to look in a subfolder under the C: drive, Projects, Avid, Avid Newscutter (or whatever version you are using), Avid Attic. This is where Avid will locally file any autosaved item.

Off the top of my head I can't remember what you need to do to retrieve this to your project/bin, but this might be the what you are looking for.

And as was posted earlier, this will only be filed on the workstation you are using, not sent to the Avid network (Media Manager, Interplay, etc.) that you are using.

I didn't really want to go there yet because you can do some irreversible damage (as in loss of media availability) working at the OS level if you're not sure what you're doing. Working from Avid Attic is useful for restoring if your project or bin disappears from your workspace...but I think it only saves info from bin as you save...so i don't think it retrieves an edl or any changes you've made in the bin since the last save.

If somehow...you (or a "friend") blow out a bin...you can follow the tree as oldngray described. in the Avid Attic are .avb files for each bin in each project.

detailed restore instructions for XpressPro (other versions are basically the same)
can be found here: http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=432438&seqNum=10

but, again...this may not be what you want to do.