Anybody else use color viewfinders?

Starman

I switched the color viewfinder of my HPX370 back on, and now I like it better than black and white mode. I am getting spoiled, now I wish that I had one for my HDX900!

Anyone else here enjoy the color viewfinders or have color lust?

Shootblue

I'm ok with them, but as someone who saw composition easier without the "clutter" of color, I wish they had a quick change switch. I don't use the bw on the 370 because the dynamic range on this particular model of camera's vf isn't enough to tell true black and whites like the old tube vf's were. I find it kind of an internal struggle because on one hand it is helpful to see the wb and know for sure with the color vf, but there was a certain amount of pride in the ability to see even minor differences in color temp and know exactly where you should wb with the bw viewfinders. I feel "lazy" in that regard, because you had to be good back then.

Run&Gun

I have a Panasonic AG-CVF15G on each 2700 and an Alphatron on my C300. They will spoil you in a hurry. I had to shoot for two days last week with my tape VariCam with it's B&W VF and I missed my 2700 badly(for two reasons). I've heard people say that you can focus easier with a B&W CRT than a color LCD VF, I would say that if you have a quality color VF, it's not an issue. Sometimes I do wish there was a physical toggle switch for B&W on the Panny's, though, but otherwise I love them.

Bottom line, I love shooting with a color VF and I wouldn't wanna go back to not having one.

focusthis

My Sony PMW-320 gas one, and it does spoil you for color confidence. Any difference I notice in the edit booth can be fixed during editing. I do recall it not seeming as sharp as my old viewfinder (in the DNW-9WS), and the old one I was better at getting the correct exposure. swear I shoot everything too hot these days. It's nice to flip the eyepiece out of the way and view the whole screen. BTW: The plastic lens in the eyepiece is for CRAP. It has concentric rings if in/out of focus depending on how your eye is positioned.

So, cheap color VF is pretty nice.

Tv Shooter

I own an Alphatron and recently tried it on my HDX900. Very nice, and quite affordable. I run it out of my Nano so I can know the Nano is rolling and that I don't accidentally have the characters turned on. Cause ya know…..THAT never happened.

Flaca Productions

I have a sony hdvf-35w on my 800. once you go there, you'll never go back. they're $12k new, but worth every penny and i NEVER thought i'd say that. I agree stephen - the good ones are gold, the bad ones are an irritant. I also have an alphatron on my F3 and it's not too bad, but no comparison to the 35w. the 35w does have a button to quickly switch back to b/w if you're inclined, but i've never seen the need. just make sure you set it up in comparison to a properly calibrated monitor so you get what you see. does bundles for run/gun white balance decision making.

Cameradude

I looked through R&G's camera with a color viewfinder, and he has the peaking cranked up to be able to focus so far you can't make out the picture, and that made me decide I did not want one....LOL!!!

paulisphotoman

I much prefer the color viewfinder..gave me a much better idea of color and skin tone....esp since b/w seems so yesterday

Run&Gun

I looked through R&G's camera with a color viewfinder, and he has the peaking cranked up to be able to focus so far you can't make out the picture, and that made me decide I did not want one....LOL!!!
To be fair, I think you can see to focus better than me, so you can probably dial it back a notch or twelve… Lol

Capt. Slo-mo

We get it, Teddy. Disdain duly noted. Move on.

When I bought my HDCam many years ago, I had a B&W viewfinder...but once I saw the 35W color version, there was no going back. I don't find them any harder to focus than the average B&W viewfinder, and certainly easier than a bad B&W, like what came on the early XDCams.

The ability to see that your color balance has suddenly screwed the pooch is their biggest asset.

Cameradude

I actually used Run & Gun's color viewfinder yesterday while we were covering the Panthers game yesterday. In all honesty I would have no problem putting one on an ENG camera. It's not something you "have to have", but its a nice luxury and a nice convenience in ENG work where you are hoping from scene to scene.

BTW Run&Gun, you're going to have to reset all the adjustment; its looks nothing like what you had in the viewfinder....LOL!!

Run&Gun

I actually used Run & Gun's color viewfinder yesterday while we were covering the Panthers game yesterday. In all honesty I would have no problem putting one on an ENG camera. It's not something you "have to have", but its a nice luxury and a nice convenience in ENG work where you are hoping from scene to scene.

BTW Run&Gun, you're going to have to reset all the adjustment; its looks nothing like what you had in the viewfinder....LOL!!
It wasn't as much the VF as the lens grip… Were you shooting with ski gloves on yesterday? Lol