60 Minutes National Leader EFP Interview with Camera Mic

prosheditor

Did anybody else happen to catch 60 minutes a few weeks ago when they interviewed Syria's leader in a formal sit down interview?

It was disclaimed with the fact that the interview would be allowed only if a local crew shot it. Either their Tx / Rx batteries failed, they didn't monitor sound onsite or the sound mixer wasn't paying attention because it sounded just like the camera mic captured the audio. That's what you get when it's half-assed but if it's conditional, you have to accept it.

It was made worse because it was done in a room with bare walls which produced an echo. The least they could have done was to hang a blanket or get more people in the room to baffle the echo.

I can't remember if the lighting was really bad but the thin audio really stood out. It makes you really appreciate a pro crew.

Douglas

Yes, the lighting was really bad too.
Third world countries just never understand how a proper presentation is part of the message.

Political candidates also fall victim to crappy crews who don't know what they are doing. Their handlers should take a look at the monitor and say, "if that's the best you can do, we are leaving." Image quality and audio matter should matter to the people on both sides of the camera.

satpimp

Content is the trump. Quality changes the nature of how you "view" the content. In a visual medium view is tinged subtly AND overtly by the cues we take from lighting, sound, backgrounds. Yes quality matters. It's the goal of professionals. Protect the broadcast and all that. So much changes in places where you can hear artillery. I'm sure there was much wringing of hands over the quality. Probably recriminations. It sucks that as the availability of really high quality production grows exponentially, smartphone video meets the standard. I do however feel confident that this instance was the source of a lot of discussion at the old Tiffany Eye.

Omar

prosheditor

Charlie Rose did that interview and yes, the lighing was bland for sure. If a viewer missed the disclaimer at the beginning about the condition of using a local crew, one may have believed it was a 60 Minutes crew that produced it.

I wonder if the local crew used their own gear or used the 60 Minutes crew's gear to shoot it, then kept, reviewed and edited the content before releasing it to CBS. Either way, they had to have heard the bad audio and released it anyway.

Last edited: