Viva Las Vegas 2014 NAB

Tv Shooter

So who's all in? It's time for that show stopping, one of a kind extravaganza know as NAB. Join the thousands of people, standing in line for a shuttle bus, waiting in line for a Starbucks, hanging in a group to see a camera not to be released for 17 months, and the ever exciting "LunchLine".

See products that will amaze your eyes and drain your wallet. Be dazzled by technical jargon delivered by an incomprehensible, non english speaking engineer. Enjoy the companionship of gorgeous women*. Drink till you drown, and roll dem bones!

All starting April 7th through the 10th in beautiful Las Vegas!

To start things off, how about the most important meal of the day? Yes, that's right, breakfast! Unless of course you stayed up all night drinking, in which case eating may not be the best thing at the moment.

Monday, April 7th at 8:30. LVH buffet. I'll be at the entrance to the buffet, which is next to the sports book, next to the slot machines, that are to the left of the buffet counter. I may or may not have some sort of identifying sign or marker. Just look for the guy that looks like a photog. No not that guy, he's the homeless dude from across the street…..yes I know hard to tell sometimes.

And if there is interest….meet up after the Day 1 of NAB 2014 at the Home of the Original Broll Party, Monte Carlo Brew Pub. Well, it's actually called "The Pub" now, since they no longer brew their own beer. I'll gauge interest from people that post here in THIS thread.

So-gentlemen (and ladies)…start your wallets!

Danke Schoen!
Tvshooter

*Some fees may apply.

Ken

I thought the B-roll party used to be at the Harley Davidson place. I must be getting old. See you at breakfast!

Focused

Breakfast

Will do my best. I get in pretty late on Sunday night. Will be ready for a good breakfast.

Run&Gun

8:30 may work out since it's west coast time…

Should I post some pics from the shoot last month so everyone knows who to look for?

Tv Shooter

The original Broll meet ups were at Monte Carlo. Food's better and lots more beer and drink choices.

Douglas

And if there is interest….meet up after the Day 1 of NAB 2014 at the Home of the Original Broll Party, Monte Carlo Brew Pub.
Richard, I think you better make other plans for Monday evening . . .

"For those of you attending NAB, please join us Monday evening April 7th for our CineAlta Lounge. Would be great to meet and chat with the forum members. Food and drink will be served. We will screen several 4K shorts produced by the AFI (American Film Institute) shot by F65, F55. Steven Lighthill, ASC will host a panel with representatives from the AFI, and Brian Udovich, Executive Producer of the 4K shorts. Latest enhancements with the CineAlta line of cameras will be presented as well, and much more. Hope to see you there, invite is below"

http://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55/CineAlta-Event-at-NAB-April-7th/m-p/297784#U297784

Unfortunately I can't make it this year as I have multiple shoots that week. Can somebody keep an eyeball on any new led Fresnel's being offered this year.

I have had my eye on the zylight 8" model. prima rally because its the only one on the market with a CRI in the high 90s, that can be battery powered, is weather sealed, and does not have a fan built in. But any new additions might be contenders. Or hopefully zylight decides to drop the price so I can afford it.

Douglas

Have you used LED Fresnels where fan noise was a problem? I own a Sola 4 and have used a few Sola 6's extensively and you'd never know either of them had fans unless you put your ear against the unit. Not just quiet ... but virtually silent.

Have you used LED Fresnels where fan noise was a problem? I own a Sola 4 and have used a few Sola 6's extensively and you'd never know either of them had fans unless you put your ear against the unit. Not just quiet ... but virtually silent.
I have not found it to be so. But if somebody can make one that works just as well in a moderately sealed unit with passive cooling and no moving parts to fail all the better.

I actually almost bought a sola 6 But if you look at the photo metrics the Arri unit and the Zylight unit are kicking out almost the foot-candles. Whats more important to me is the output as I would like to be able to substitute these for 400ish watt HMI's which I don't own.

Look under photo metrics tab at bottom of page is a comparison. I did check the numbers against other manufactures sites.

http://www.zylight.com/f8-fresnel/

I also might add the desisti lights look interesting but I am pretty sure I will never get that 120 to battery power, plus the 3k msrp is a bit pricey for me at the moment.

Last edited:

Douglas

But if somebody can make one that works just as well in a moderately sealed unit with passive cooling and no moving parts to fail all the better.
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this into a thread about LED lights, but I wouldn't invest in a sealed passively cooled unit even if some company decides to sell one to people who don't know any better. LEDs do generate heat and if that heat is not properly dissipated the life of the LED bulbs and the quality/color of the light over the long-run will be severely impacted. In other words, it might seem great at first, but it won't last. Look it up.

The answer is a nice quiet fan, and that has already been perfected and perhaps other manufacturers as well -- so problem solved. Nothing to wait for.

Tv Shooter

Thread Re-direct: Who all's coming to breakfast? Usual suspects? As an added attraction, bonus visit with Run n Gun.

Big Photog

I'm going but I have a late shift on Sunday so I won't be rolling in until the afternoon.
If any one is going to get together Monday night I'm in
Dave

Necktie Boy

Rich,

Is the new plan to go to the Sony Party on Monday? Our informal party at the Monte Carlo Brew Pub on Tuesday?

R&G

I figured it was joke....hehehe

Tv Shooter

Monday is also the NCAA basketball final. So every bar will be slammed with basketball. I'm thinking based on last year's issue with getting seating due to the basketball finals, that Monday will be worse.

So Tuesday at Monte Carlo looks good. I need to go to the Sony meet up Monday, since I just bought an F5.